Trip to F1 Spa GP in Belgium

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am going to the F1 Grand Prix in Belgium in August and this will be my first time abroad and I'm towing!!! I have been building a comprehenesive checklist of all the things I need like Red Pennant etc over the past number of months for the trip and its now all complete. The only thing I now need to prepare myself for is to know the speed limits!
I am going from Dunkerque so I would like to know what speed limits there are in France towing an outfit under 3.5 tonnes and also the speed limits for towing in Belgium if anyone can help me?
The route I will be taking will be purely motorways so A18>A10>R0>A3>A27.
Can you also tell me if there is a toll on the A18 in France from Dunkerque to Brugge please?

Thanks in advance,

Toby.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Oh, also apparently that not only do I have to leave the mandatory minimum check in time of an hour for the ferry crossing, I also have to allow time for customs checks - how long does this usually take and for me to schedule in for???

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
no tolls. assuming you are using norfolk line? so best to get there around 45 minutes early, customs? well normally straight through but you never know.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
In Belgium 120Kph on autoroutes, 80(90?)Kph outside towns, 50Kph in towns - well signed as you cross the border.
In France, 50Kph in towns (starts at the town name sign, ends at the town exit sign - town name with bar through it;) 90Kph on other roads (80Kph when wet;) 130Kph on autoroutes (110Kph when wet.)
Note that when you leave an autoroute in France the speed limit signs on the slip road are mandatory - the fuzz sometimes put a radar between them. Also, given the 'priorite a droit' rule - which still applies in many places - the entry slip road on an autoroute has a 'give way' sign at the end and the French will stop at the end of the slip road if they have not seen a gap in the traffic to join the lane - the idea of accelerating to slide into a gap doesn't seem to occur to them! Read up carefully on Priorite a droite as, until you are used to it, it can be potentially VERY dangerous. A word or two of advice. The French style of driving is IAI - intimitadory, aggressive, and impatient. If you are not travelling at the speed limit within milliseconds of a traffic light turning green you will be treated as a pariha. If you travel at less than the speed limit by even a needle-width you will be honked, flashed, and gesticulated at before they dangerously overtake.Within the 'impatient' category, they will follow you at a car length even at 90Kph. If you cannot see a car behind you through your extended mirrors don't assume there isn't one there! When you turn right at any traffic light almost anywhere in Europe be prepared to find pedestrians crossing the road. Curiously however the one thing the French rarely do is to cross a single white line in the middle of the road, even if the road is free of all other traffic, visually unobstructed, and they are following a slow moving tractor. Road signing is also unusual. Apart from exit roads on autoroutes they never use road numbers, only place names. Similarly if you ask someone how far it is to XYZ they will tell you how long it takes - use this to work out the distance assuming travelling at the speed limit throughout. Your maps or satnav may tell you to follow a French Route National (the equivalent of our A roads) and they are usually marked in red on the top of signposts a Nxx. However over the last few years many of the RN roads have been handed over to Departments (counties/boroughs) and so become RD and are signed as D roads. Most of these will have a D followed by a number in excess of 900. Note that as all Department numbering is considered local, you will likely have the same numbered road - e.g. D21 - in two adjacent Departments but they bear no relation to one another in any way. D900+ roads ahowever do have commonality.
In Belgium you will often find that a sign points you to somewhere, but at the next junction that place is not signed. Always assume to keep straight on (or as near as possible to it) if the signage is missing.

The A16 from Boulogne East to the Belgian border is free throughout as are all Belgian motorways. If you are travelling via Liege the best route is to take the autoroute towards Brussels, then turn off at Gent towards Antwerp and cross to Liege. Unless you have done it before the alternative route - the Brussels Ring - is a terrifying place, nearly as bad as the Peripherique in Paris! French motorways are always free unless the word 'peage' is on the sign pointing to it.

Two final points: Do not turn your nose up at McDonalds as you will always get a cup of decent coffee (ask for Americaine or you will get Espresso) at a fair price and a clean bog, plus they have free and unlimited wi-fi and they don't mind if you plug your laptop into their mains. In Belgium (and increasingly in France) you will have difficulty finding a manned fuel station outside office hours. Worry ye not, all French automated stations and many Belgian will take a UK credit card - and many of them give you the option of or will automatically speak to you in English. If you don't already have one get a UK credit card that doesn't impose transaction charges overseas - Nationwide Visa is very popular in that line. As of last Friday diesel in French supermarkets was around €1.29/litre.

Good luck, and enjoy.......

Woody
N Yorks

Note that it is an offence in France to have a radar detector let alone use it, and in Belgium it is an offence to use cruise control on a motorway - although how the latter could be policed baffles me.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for such a detailed guide Woody! Very comprehensive indeed. Sounds like I really do have my work cut out. I have heard mixed reports about driving abroad, some say its good, some say its terrifying and dangerous! I'm going on my own with a caravan in tow on the wrong side of the road for the first time......just what have I let myself in for!!! Oh dear....better swot up and belt up and be prepared for a number of brown trouser moments!!!

Thanks again - I will read and re-read your guide again!

P.S I'm hoping (but not banking on) to get to Spa and back on a tank so I might not need to refuel but you just never know with hold ups, getting lost etc!

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hello again! Just over 2 weeks to go now until my first time abroad! Just one other quick question the website here: http://www.euroadlegal.co.uk/country/belgium.html states that the speed limit is 68-81 mph in France. I also notice that the speed limits on the continent for towing are the same as solo. Do I take it that the 68 mph is the minimum then? My outfit can go well above those speeds no problem but I don't really want to travel at those speeds when I'm on the wrong side of the road for the first time!! So is it a compulsory minimum speed limit?

Thanks in advance.

Toby.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No 68mph is not the minimum speed, it is the maximum speed on a dual carrigeway, the 81mph is the maximum on their motorways.
Having said that these limits change if it is raining or foggy If it is your first trip on the continent, just keep to the speed that you would travel in this country and you will be fine.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Only in France and Belgium are the speed limits the same when towing as for solo. The 68mph (110km/h) speed limit on French motorways applies when it is raining. In the dry the maximum speed is 81mph (130km/h). The compulsory minimum speed on motorways in France is 80km/h on the leftmost lane and only 40km/h on all other lanes.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
OK thanks again guys!
The only thing is I'm now a bit perplexed! Steve says the 68mph is the maximum for dual carrigeways and 81mph maximum for motorways. Lutz says 68mph max for motorways in the wet and 81mph max for motorways in the dry - whos right? lol

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
OK guys, let's get this right:-
Autoroutes MAXIMUM: 130kph (81mph) on a dry surface, 110kph (68mph) if the road is wet even if not raining
Dual carriageways that are not autorutes: 110kph (68mph) when dry, 100kph (62mph) when wet
Single carriageways rural roads: 90kph (56mph) when dry, 80kph (50mph) when wet.
All roads in urban areas 50kph (30mph) unless indicated otherwise.
Urban areas start as you pass the place name sign and stop when you pass it going out (the back of the sign will have the place name in black with a red diagonal line through it.) Some hamlets on 90kph roads have a 70kph limit usually shown as white on black.
Autoroutes ONLY have a minimum speed requirement of 40kph in the inside and middle lane, and 80kph in the outside lane.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We're both right. Steve was referring to dual carriageways (in the dry) that aren't motorways and I was referring to motorways.

To summarise the speed limits:
For outfits with a maximum permissible gross train weight of up to 3500kg:
Dual carriageways: 110km/h (dry), 100km/h (wet)
Motorways: 130km/h (dry), 110km/h (wet)
For outfits with a maximum permissible gross train weight over 3500kg:
Dual carriageways: 100km/h
Motorways: 110km/h
For outfits where the maximum permissible gross vehicle weight of the towing vehicle exceeds 3500kg:
Dual carriageways and motorways: 90km/h

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
HI TOBY

I think I would be confused with all those figures....But at the end of the day the speeds are clearly posted wet, dry, motorway or dual carriageway.... I've never had a problem towing fast or slow Driving is easy, I hope you will be starting on the A16 though, You have said A18 twice....

Have a nice time,

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

Just a very quick but big thank you for all of your help! It was a very sucessful trip that went flawlessly. Driving on the 'wrong side' proved easy and I was suprised at how pleasent the driving over there was. The race was also fantastic for anyone who watched it!

Thanks again!

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Woody said:
OK guys, let's get this right:-
Autoroutes MAXIMUM: 130kph (81mph) on a dry surface, 110kph (68mph) if the road is wet even if not raining
Dual carriageways that are not autorutes: 110kph (68mph) when dry, 100kph (62mph) when wet
Single carriageways rural roads: 90kph (56mph) when dry, 80kph (50mph) when wet.
That's wrong, only roads where the limit is normally 130 kph have a reduced limit (110kph) in the wet, there is no difference on any other limit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts