Truma Ultra Heat gaining access.

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
HI,

Bought a 2009 Sterling Europa 550 a few days ago van is fantastic but as with anything this age it has a fault the Truma ultra heat is not working the thermostat lights up green and I can hear the relays clicking so I need access to the control unit behind fire, now hopefully I would rather not remove fire but getting to the back of it looks a nightmare as it backs up to the fixed bed with no access panel to be removed. Has anyone done one of these could I possibly remove wheel box ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In my case the whole fire had to be removed.My mobile engineer spent an hour on removal , fifteen changing the parts and an hour refitting.
There are two Thermal Overload Devices. One is a Temperature Limiter.It reaches 175degC and cuts out permanently.The other is a Temperature Control Device which cuts out at about 120degC , cools and then resets.
At just a fiver each you should change both.
I must emphasise these fires are complex pieces of kit with gas, air and exhaust inlets and outlets all of which must be 100% sealed from the caravan interior.
Incorrect fitting may result in Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
I haven't seen a control box at the rear. There is pcb but this doesn't have a relay. I suspect the clicking you hear is from the control switch unit.
Anyway sorry to be a kill joy but unless you really know how to remove and reinstall the fire I'd get an expert in.

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dustydog,

I feared this would be the case, to be honest it doesn't bother me too much but always looking for somebody else's experiance.
I should be ok with this I consider myself quite competent with things like this be I g in the motor trade for years and servicing my own stuff at home. I am very careful with gas and obviously carbon monoxide is concerned. But obviously if it didn't need to be disturbed it would save a lot of hassle.

Many thanks.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
autotrician said:
HI,

Bought a 2009 Sterling Europa 550 a few days ago van is fantastic but as with anything this age it has a fault the Truma ultra heat is not working the thermostat lights up green and I can hear the relays clicking so I need access to the control unit behind fire, now hopefully I would rather not remove fire but getting to the back of it looks a nightmare as it backs up to the fixed bed with no access panel to be removed. Has anyone done one of these could I possibly remove wheel box ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Is the ticking the spark igniter? If the control is not fully off it will click until the battery expires.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "
Is the ticking the spark igniter? If the control is not fully off it will click until the battery expires. "

The Ultraheat does not have a spark igniter, it is purely electric !

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
autotrician said:
Hi Dustydog,

I feared this would be the case, to be honest it doesn't bother me too much but always looking for somebody else's experiance.
I should be ok with this I consider myself quite competent with things like this be I g in the motor trade for years and servicing my own stuff at home. I am very careful with gas and obviously carbon monoxide is concerned. But obviously if it didn't need to be disturbed it would save a lot of hassle.

Many thanks.

The things you must be aware of is the absolute need to replace the flue to fire gasket and ensure that you have no gas leaks.
The system should be pressure tested after refitting for which a special test pump is required.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
The truma ultraheat does have a spark igniter and it's electric powered by a battery
I'll stand corrected but thought the 3002 and 5002 used two AA batteries for its piezo ignition spark system to light the gas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian is correct. The Ultraheat does not have an ignotor, because the Ultraheat technically is only the mains heater side of the appliance. The gas side will be an SL or possibly SLP3002 or 5002, and these do have ignitors.

The SL uses a batter powered ignotor and the SLP uses a piezo plunger ingitor.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Damian is correct. The Ultraheat does not have an ignotor, because the Ultraheat technically is only the mains heater side of the appliance. The gas side will be an SL or possibly SLP3002 or 5002, and these do have ignitors.

I agree Prof.
If he'd said Trumatic spot on.
But then how many " hoover" the carpet using a "dyson"? :whistle:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:

I agree Prof.
If he'd said Trumatic spot on.
But then how many " hoover" the carpet using a "dyson"? :whistle:

If you go back a few years, most caravans were advertised as having a 'Carver' !!!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
The truma ultraheat does have a spark igniter and it's electric powered by a battery

Yet again you show a total ignorance of certain items in a caravan.

Truma Ultraheat is the added on ELECTRIC heating element situated behind the gas fire and does NOT have a spark igniter as it runs entirely on electric. It uses NO gas, so obviously does not need an igniter.

The Gas fire DOES have an igniter powered by a battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts