Truma ultraheat 240v

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Hello πŸ™‚

I've been having trouble with my truma ultraheat on 240v I've stripped it down I have no green light on the control switch when turn in any position. I've replaced my pcb still nothing I have bypassed the 2 thermostats by temporarily placing wire between them and cutting them out still nothing.
I have 238v at the element wiring going into the element I used a working kettle element and wired it up to my element to see if that worked to see if my element was dead. I'm getting just over 50ohms of resistance on my element which from what I've read means it's good.
My father has the same van I pinched his control switch to see if it was that still no green light I'm now thinking it may be the umbilical core wire which runs from the 12v side of the pcb to the back of the control switch with the green light I have checked every wire for continuity and they all seem fine. I did last night get the green light when turned on for about a second then it faded out I'm wondering if ones of the wires on this umbilical cord is failing under load.
Any help would be appreciated I'm going round in circles πŸ™ˆ
Thanks

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
You may have the voltage but if you have high resistance on the mains going to the heater you might not have the amperage. A bit like a duff battery, you can get 13v with no load but as soon as you load it the voltage drops off..

So I would check the supply.

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
You may have the voltage but if you have high resistance on the mains going to the heater you might not have the amperage. A bit like a duff battery, you can get 13v with no load but as soon as you load it the voltage drops off..

So I would check the supply.
Thanks for replying Martin
Do you mean the supply from the switch where you turn the space heater on or the main circuit switch or even the cable plugged into the house to the van.
Everything else on the van works fine could it be a bad connection somewhere on the fuse holder in the switch ? I thought I'd not get the power at the element if they were good.
Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have no direct experience with the Truma Ultraheat electric system, so I cant offer specific advice , but I do know there has been a history of relay board problems with some, and OEM replacements are rather expensive.

Handilly there is a company Apuljack Electronics who offer an update/upgrade kit which might be the solution

see here

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
I have no direct experience with the Truma Ultraheat electric system, so I cant offer specific advice , but I do know there has been a history of relay board problems with some, and OEM replacements are rather expensive.

Handilly there is a company Apuljack Electronics who offer an update/upgrade kit which might be the solution

see here
Hi there and thanks for your help
I have replaced my pcb and still have the same problem no green light at the 12v side of things to turn the heater on.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry I am not technical so this may have nothing to do with anything but we had a problem of a Whale space heater not turning on. It had a rotary knob. Eventually traced to a connection between the knob and the board underneath it ( ie whatever the connector in the knob makes contact with when you turn it- told you I wasn’t technical) The fault was on the board side, not the knob side.
Hope you get it fixed
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No green light on the switch generally means the grey transformer on the pcb has popped, shows itself physically by the top, which should be dead flat, having from a slight bulge to a hole, literally popped!
Another killer though regards that lead up to the switch, the pins for it on the pcb are small and weak so easily bent especially while removing plug. Every pin should be perfectly straight and inline, two or three nearest the corner of pcb suffer most.
I've just fixed your problem straightening those and only charged him a drink!πŸ˜€

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ps, depends on year, but older ultraheat's 240v fused switched spur were beige? If so then fuse holders are suspect, quick test is to connect output wire direct to input and if green light appears change the spur πŸ‘

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Ps, depends on year, but older ultraheat's 240v fused switched spur were beige? If so then fuse holders are suspect, quick test is to connect output wire direct to input and if green light appears change the spur πŸ‘
Hi Gary
Thanks for your reply
I've had a good look at the pins on the pcb and the all look good, it is a new board bought it last week ... thats my next thing to try I'm going to bypass the caravan electrics and wire straight into the pcb and pop a plug on the other end straight into my household electrics.
Thanks πŸ™‚

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It would be easier generally checking vans 240v circuit by plugging a lamp into various sockets in the van, then as I said checking the heaters isolation switch
As I said though, only if older Clipsol made beige isolation switch, no issues I know of with Truma's later grey ones

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
It would be easier generally checking vans 240v circuit by plugging a lamp into various sockets in the van, then as I said checking the heaters isolation switch
As I said though, only if older Clipsol made beige isolation switch, no issues I know of with Truma's later grey ones
Thanks Gary My van is a 2003 and the space heaters fused switch is a beige colour.
I'll have a check tonight after work thanks for your help πŸ‘

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Is this the newer switch out of interest Gary ? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230807_085443_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230807_085443_eBay.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 3
Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Yes that's Truma's to match their later grey control switch
I've just connected straight to the pcb and plugged in on a extension lead into the house and it works so it's my caravan either the switch you mention or the wiring somewhere but I've check it and it sll seems fine so I'm hoping it's the switch

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Fitted a new spur switch and finally, it's sorted. Thanks for your help gary.
Hopefully this helps someone else out at some point also πŸ‘

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts