Trying to get to Caravan Show at Manchester - Event City Road Chaos

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Have to admit, the show and venue itself was great, but we will never go to Event City again.
1. It shares roads with the Trafford Centre and the other event which was on at Event City = this caused chaos and the Event City Car Park was closed - it was full at about 10.30am.
2. We were sent to an overflow car park, fine but no way of getting to Event City apart from crossing a 4 lane road. As you can imagine this led to some interesting conversations between motorists travelling at over 30mph and pedestrians trying to get to show. Some near misses. My husband is disabled so it took us a long time to be able to cross, only kind motorists enabled us to do this. Others just went over mob handed and had to block traffic. Possibly you could have crossed a two lane road, walked for ages into Trafford Centre, crossed over the road on a bridge and walked about a mile to get to Event City - are they kidding?
3. Think again about where you have the show organisers, I think old venue much better as public transport available too and more roads in; also pedestrian crossings. Had to pay for car park but worth it.
4. Could they have had marshalls on the island to stop the gridlock which ensued from the first island off the motorway and then all along to outside Event City? Who knows, we don' care we won' t be going again, which is a pity for vendors as we spent quite a lot of money there.

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
We arrived about 10 to 10am but it took us about 30 - 40 minutes to travel say from Turn off at motorway to Event City. It was gridlock, if not for people letting others in = like in a zip formation nothing would have moved.

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry didn't quite make it clear. We arrived at the turn off on motorway about 10 to 10. We got to Event City about half an hour later, we had to wait ten minutes to cross island when we saw from our queue that they were closing off the Event City car park and diverting people to overflow car park across the road.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, the slip roads, jnc 10 & 9 where queuing, more so at jnc9 which was mainly the traffic lights which was only on green for approx 6 seconds, I counted it. I arrived at approx 10:15 and there was loads of room on the overflow car parks which was a walk from the event. I never intended to go to the nearest car park because I thought it would be overly busy. I did comment to my wife that I thought the near car parks should be reserved for disabled traffic, but remember, this is it's first time at this venue, perhaps if this was requested, it may be far better next year. The venue it's self is very good and far far better than Gmex at Manchester central which I swore after visiting in 2005, I would never attend again due to extortionate car parking fees, access and not only trying to get there but also getting away from Manchester City center. I would visit this venue again as the queuing wasn't that excessive considering the number of attendees at the show which was thousands as all the car parks where fullish when I was leaving at 13:30ish and all the queue's had disapeared. So it may be better getting there later rather than sooner. There was vertualy no queuing to get into the event itself, don't know what it was like getting away at 5:00 when the show closed? I was surprised at the amount of Caravans, tourers and static holiday homes, Motor Homes and folders etc. that there was to see but I felt the accessory side was a little lacking in content, although I got all I wanted. As said, if the nearer car park was reserved for disabled then it may be far better for next year and looking at the numbers going, I didn't realise there was SOOOOO many interested in caravaning. I'm sure the exibitors will be pleased at the numbers attending. It will be busy busy busy Sat & Sun. You will never stop queuing for this event it's far too big and you also have the large shopping complex adjacent to the venue. I think if you don't like queuing, who does!! then try alittle later or don't go as this area is very popular for the shopping aswell as events and gets bust without any events taking place. I have never been to London or Birmingham shows but I bet there isn't much difference?
Bri

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
We went to the NEC,Birmingham, this year and it seemed quite easy apart from the signs to the carpark which iirc went to a closed one,there were some posts about it at the time.We bought a few things there and took them back to the car then back in so couldn't have been too bad.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
There has definitely been some traffic issues getting into EventCity as reported, but the orgnaisers told us it was far better on Friday. Anyone corroborate this? We are inside the show by 9am, so can't comment on what is going on outside.

Cheers

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We were there today. (Saturday) Congestion getting off at J9 then directed straight into an overflow carpark which was a bit of a walk but not too bad. Got in the habit of glaring at oncoming traffic daring it to run us over.This was about 10.15 am. Not an awful inconvenience but the traffic management needs some thought for the future.
The show was busy and crowded today, which is good for caravanning and the general economy I suppose. I prefer the nec as a venue but event cityis definitly better than Gmex, or whatever they now call it.
mel

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Would have to agree Mel - took forty minutes to get out of the car park tonight, but the venue is excellent for a caravan show in many ways. Better signposting for toilets and the like would be good too. And more accessories!

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Interested to hear all the points about this show. We went Saturday am arriving 9.30 ish aiming to maximise our days experience. Living in the Manchester area, I suppose I fully anticipated the traffic queues, but in all honesty I dont think it was much worse that an average day at the Sale at the Trafford Centre! We got parked on the main carpark just a short 5 min walk away, and there was ample room for more cars at that point. Not the warmest of days and we had to queue outside the venue along with hundreds of others who had prebooked tickets - there were lots of comments that those paying on the day (the minority) had straight access inside and got in first!
We are veterans of other shows at GMEX, NEC, and Earld Court, and I haveto say this show was a big improvement on GMEX and comparible with NEC. Not quite sure how relevent the "destinations" part was, we had a little look round but it was noticably quieter that the other halls. The "Theatre" was good - we saw a great presentation by Monty Halls which was worth the entrance fee(only £6) alone.
It appeared to be extremely well attended - one of the busiest we have experienced. A liitle disapointed with the accessory stands and we came away with relatively full wallet, having not not seen much to tempt the credit card. All in all a good day out at a venue which Im sure will establish itself over the next few years.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
We have been today ( Sunday ) after reading about all of the problems with parking & trying to get across a busy road, I decided to get us there for 9.30, well planned, got right up to the little roundabout just before the car park before we had to queue, whilst they moved some traffic cones ..... then strait in & bought some show tickets.
We were fifth in the queue
smiley-surprised.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
whilst waiting we could see the traffic building up down the road to the roundabout, when we got in first stop was the food hall ( bacon butty & a pot of tea ) .......
My best buy of the day has to be this
smiley-laughing.gif
YES no more sore back with leaning on the shower button, & then bumped into the .....
Great Nigel
bowing.gif
& Jenko @ the PCv stand
smiley-laughing.gif

Glad we got there early & away when we did, it was bedlam at the roundabout as they had closed the road due to the car parks being full, when we were coming out
Had a good look at the new pre production Eterniti caravan, bags of room inside with the slide out & the small bath / shower tray was brill ( big enough for a Labrador to fit in
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
)
Blackberry218.jpg

More about the Eterniti caravan here
smiley-surprised.gif

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
All in all, a good show and a great debut for the EventCity venue I'd say. And if the hog roast baguette and Eterniti's debut were not good enough, as already mentioned, I got to meet Sproket!

TRENDING THREADS