Tuscany for a first time traveller abroad

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
Good evening all,

We have been invited to a wedding in Tuscany next July (09) and though we could make a nice holiday taking our van (2 weeks). We have only travelled in this country and to be honest I'm starting to doubt myself. Before I launch myself into route planning and costs is there anyone that can give me a few pointers please. Which ferry or the tunnel, approx cost (I know this will vary somewhat but any experiences), can you get travel insurance for various places and countries etc. I have a friend who lives in Switzerland so would like to possibly visit en route.

Any help, guidence, info or suggestions will be most welcome. I haven't got a clue so even the most obvious things will help.

Many Thanks in advance

Pete

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
DO IT - DEFINITELY. Caravanning in Europe is so much nicer than here, and generally sites are of a very high standard.

Ferry operators usually announce their prices for next year about October, and that's the time to book - either that or wait until just after Christmas. The short crossings are the cheapest - those from Dover to Calais or Dover to Boulogne. Norfolk Line generally comes in cheapest of all, but the popular sailings book up quicker than most. You may get a return crossing for car and caravan for as little as

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Can't help re Tuscany, but be warned that if you are towing in Switzerland you will need to purchase vignettes both for your car AND your caravan! Cost in advance from Swiss Travel website is

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Hi Peter

Whilst I wouldnt want for a moment to put you off taking the van abroad, (I am currently in Spain and only doing this because its raining)and agree with the practical tips in the other posts I would just like to make the very obvious point about the distance. Its a very long way to go if you only have two weeks and you might find yourself back home exausted and put off the whole idea. By my reckoning its going to be a minimum of 3 big days driving from Calais each way and thats not allowing for any sightseeing along the way.

Dave

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter

Whilst I wouldnt want for a moment to put you off taking the van abroad, (I am currently in Spain and only doing this because its raining)and agree with the practical tips in the other posts I would just like to make the very obvious point about the distance. Its a very long way to go if you only have two weeks and you might find yourself back home exausted and put off the whole idea. By my reckoning its going to be a minimum of 3 big days driving from Calais each way and thats not allowing for any sightseeing along the way.

Dave
its a two day drive from calais to Pisa(tuscany) and thats with plenty of stops about 700 km a day.

Ian

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi peter.

If you do decide to do it,i would advise you book the ferry around oct this year,if they let you.

That way you can get the best prices around.Norfolk line do some good deals,and as your route should be through switzerland into Italy by lake como,the dunkirk route would suit you fine.

Fuels cheap in belguim and luxemberg,or rather cheaper.

Depending from where you are starting your journey in the UK,then 2 days to tuscany is possible,if thats what you want to do.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will continue to plan the trip. Will be travelling from Shropshire so have a good few miles to the port.

The thought of all that driving does worry me somewhat especially as we will only have two weeks, but there again its an experience I've not undertaken before. I would like to go with some friends who also have a caravan (safety in numbers!!) will try and pursuade them.

Thanks again eveyone

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter

Like others I would you to "go-for-it". We have travelled down to Italy for the past 2 summers and had super holidays. We do have the advantage of being teachers with long hols, however. Where are you travelling from in Shropshire- I'm originally from Madeley myself although now exiled on Merseyside!!

We have travelled with Norfolk line Dover to Dunkerque for the past 2 summers. Lovely new boats and cheap prices. I have just booked with the Caravan Club, a bit cheaper than direct with NL, $148 for car, 7.2m caravan and 2 adults. We travel out on 23 July at 10.00 and back at end of August at 08.00 am. We reckon to allow about 6-7 hours travelling to Dover. We go via M6, M6 toll (worth it for the speed around B'ham) M40, M25 anti-clockwise (always seems slow going whatever time of day) and then M20 to Dover. We travel down the day before and stay overnight at a site near Dover - this means that we can get an early ferry and have an early start in France and the energy to drive all day. In 2006 4.00am and 2007 6.00am.

IT IS a long drive to northern Italy. We reckon that 300 miles a day is good day's drive - both of us drive. My Tom Tom says that Dunkerque to Milan via Switzerland is 684 miles so it is do-able in 2 days. We travel on the autoroute via Belguim, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Switzerland, St Gotthard Pass and into Italy. On the above route autoroutes are toll free as far as Switzerland. The higher speed limit in France permits towing at up to 78mph if one's outfit and confidence is up to it. We don't go that fast but we do go over 60mph at times. Fuel is a reasonable price especially at Berchem in Luxembourg - cheapest in Europe - we aim to fill up there

It is a much easier route to cross the Rhine into Germany before entering Switzerland as that avoids the centre of Basle which is a bit of a nightmare with roadworks, etc.It is necessary to buy motorway vignettes for both the car and caravan in Switzerland which is a bit expensive. The St Gotthard tunnel is the longest in Europe at 11 miles in length and not my favourite part of the trip- I'm not a lover of tunnels. We have, also, once towed over the St Gotthard Pass when the tunnel was busy - quite do-able series of hairpins up and down with a flat plateau in the middle.

Enroute we stay sleep overnight on aires (motorway services). This is a bit contentious as there are reports of people being robbed but but we have been doing it for 10 years without problem. Obviously we use our common sense and choose aires where there are other caravanners and lorries overnighting - there are often lots. Aires give us several advantages. We can drive until we are tired and then not have to worry about finding a site for the night. We don't leave the motorway. We don't have to unhitch - just legs down and go to bed, we travel with ours made up ready for sleep. In the morning we can be away quickly on to the motorway again. We travel with small amount of water in the loo and inboard water tank so that we are self reliant. Aires are very frequent on French autoroutes with lots of room for parking. The Italian and Swiss aires tend to be much smaller.

For sites we have the Alan Rogers guides for France, Italy and Europe and the CClub's 2 "Caravan Europe" guides. All of these are cheapest from Amazon. We, also, have campsite POIs on our Sat Nav. There are loads of good quality sites in France near to the autoroutes if you prefer to use sites enroute. The ASCI guide book is, also, useful and ASCI, also, do a DVD with a route planner if you access to a computer. We rarely pre-book just phoning ahead on the day we are travelling. We rarely don't get our first choice even though we have quite a large 'van, 7.2 metres. This gives us flexibility as we don't have to worry about getting to a particular site on a particular day.

We speak some French but virtually no Italian but most campsites have at least one person who speaks English and language has never been a problem.

I would, also, say that good breakdown cover and travel insurance is vital. We would strongly recommend Caravan Club Red Pennant. It's not cheap but it is specifically geared to caravanners and their particular needs. We have broken down a few times over the years. Last year our car had to be repatriated by lorry from near Rome after a breakdown. RP provided us with a series of tow cars which enabled us to continue our hols and tow the caravan home. They carried out all the arrangements including liaising with the garage, sites, car hire companies, etc. On a previous occasion when we were with Britannia Rescue they were very inefficient, did not provide a tow car and did over

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter

Like others I would you to "go-for-it". We have travelled down to Italy for the past 2 summers and had super holidays. We do have the advantage of being teachers with long hols, however. Where are you travelling from in Shropshire- I'm originally from Madeley myself although now exiled on Merseyside!!

We have travelled with Norfolk line Dover to Dunkerque for the past 2 summers. Lovely new boats and cheap prices. I have just booked with the Caravan Club, a bit cheaper than direct with NL, $148 for car, 7.2m caravan and 2 adults. We travel out on 23 July at 10.00 and back at end of August at 08.00 am. We reckon to allow about 6-7 hours travelling to Dover. We go via M6, M6 toll (worth it for the speed around B'ham) M40, M25 anti-clockwise (always seems slow going whatever time of day) and then M20 to Dover. We travel down the day before and stay overnight at a site near Dover - this means that we can get an early ferry and have an early start in France and the energy to drive all day. In 2006 4.00am and 2007 6.00am.

IT IS a long drive to northern Italy. We reckon that 300 miles a day is good day's drive - both of us drive. My Tom Tom says that Dunkerque to Milan via Switzerland is 684 miles so it is do-able in 2 days. We travel on the autoroute via Belguim, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Switzerland, St Gotthard Pass and into Italy. On the above route autoroutes are toll free as far as Switzerland. The higher speed limit in France permits towing at up to 78mph if one's outfit and confidence is up to it. We don't go that fast but we do go over 60mph at times. Fuel is a reasonable price especially at Berchem in Luxembourg - cheapest in Europe - we aim to fill up there

It is a much easier route to cross the Rhine into Germany before entering Switzerland as that avoids the centre of Basle which is a bit of a nightmare with roadworks, etc.It is necessary to buy motorway vignettes for both the car and caravan in Switzerland which is a bit expensive. The St Gotthard tunnel is the longest in Europe at 11 miles in length and not my favourite part of the trip- I'm not a lover of tunnels. We have, also, once towed over the St Gotthard Pass when the tunnel was busy - quite do-able series of hairpins up and down with a flat plateau in the middle.

Enroute we stay sleep overnight on aires (motorway services). This is a bit contentious as there are reports of people being robbed but but we have been doing it for 10 years without problem. Obviously we use our common sense and choose aires where there are other caravanners and lorries overnighting - there are often lots. Aires give us several advantages. We can drive until we are tired and then not have to worry about finding a site for the night. We don't leave the motorway. We don't have to unhitch - just legs down and go to bed, we travel with ours made up ready for sleep. In the morning we can be away quickly on to the motorway again. We travel with small amount of water in the loo and inboard water tank so that we are self reliant. Aires are very frequent on French autoroutes with lots of room for parking. The Italian and Swiss aires tend to be much smaller.

For sites we have the Alan Rogers guides for France, Italy and Europe and the CClub's 2 "Caravan Europe" guides. All of these are cheapest from Amazon. We, also, have campsite POIs on our Sat Nav. There are loads of good quality sites in France near to the autoroutes if you prefer to use sites enroute. The ASCI guide book is, also, useful and ASCI, also, do a DVD with a route planner if you access to a computer. We rarely pre-book just phoning ahead on the day we are travelling. We rarely don't get our first choice even though we have quite a large 'van, 7.2 metres. This gives us flexibility as we don't have to worry about getting to a particular site on a particular day.

We speak some French but virtually no Italian but most campsites have at least one person who speaks English and language has never been a problem.

I would, also, say that good breakdown cover and travel insurance is vital. We would strongly recommend Caravan Club Red Pennant. It's not cheap but it is specifically geared to caravanners and their particular needs. We have broken down a few times over the years. Last year our car had to be repatriated by lorry from near Rome after a breakdown. RP provided us with a series of tow cars which enabled us to continue our hols and tow the caravan home. They carried out all the arrangements including liaising with the garage, sites, car hire companies, etc. On a previous occasion when we were with Britannia Rescue they were very inefficient, did not provide a tow car and did over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts