TV and Broadband

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have been with Virgin for 24 years and get all the loyalty discounts going. At present that means hundreds of mostly useless tv channels, 200 Mbps, A V6 box plus a slave box. £76

My contract is coming to an end so I looked at the alternatives. This year we have City Fibre to the pavement. This gives me a choice of 11 providers. I looked at them all and the best deal is Vodafone. So I have signed up with them. 900mbps A router, a hub, an app, installation, a booster, web backup, a 50mb 4k mobile dongle with sim (which it will switch to if the cable fails), free tech support, land line and Norton for 1 year. Normally £63, but discounted to £30 for two years.

The Vodafone people I spoke to were professional and helpful. As opposed to my morning being sent from pillar to post cancelling my Virgin. To be fair to Virgin, they have given good service and prompt call outs in the past. They just fail to be competitive for me anymore. But that is because they now have competition.

For TV. I will just have Freeview and access to the apps, Prime, Netflix etc. But for convenience I have just purchased a 1 Tb PVR

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s an excellent deal, hard to refuse it. Dies the landline give phone calls in an out and any restrictions on times of use, or duration?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That’s an excellent deal, hard to refuse it. Dies the landline give phone calls in an out and any restrictions on times of use, or duration?

Incoming calls only, outgoing are a bit expensive, 19 p connection and 11 p per min. But I can get packages added on at any time, full calls, weekend only or foreign. I forget how much. I did not examine the choices as I don't need them. Incoming only suits us as mobiles are enough and do the job.

John

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just looked, these are the addons.

71E72452-0573-4C09-9ADD-6AB2735B0EB6.jpeg

Plus. If the last option is taken, they provide a free Apple TV box with 3 months Apple Tv plus. (I don't know how long you have to commit for, presumably 2 years).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just looked, these are the addons.

View attachment 3846

Plus. If the last option is taken, they provide a free Apple TV box with 3 months Apple Tv plus. (I don't know how long you have to commit for, presumably 2 years).
Thank you, pretty competitive landline prices. We have anytime with EE for landline at £8 pm with the only limit being calls over 60 minutes are chargeable from minute 61.

We have just had cable installed into our close so when my current contract expires I will look at who is offering what. But our needs are pretty modest compared to what you have been offered. But at that price I would grab it anyway.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, Virgin are pricing themselves out of the market
Mine went up to £76 last year, I managed to negotiate them down to £45 which wasn't too bad comparatively at the time , plus I work from home and didn't want the hassle of having to change many rules for connections on VPN's etc with an IP change.

Also being quite rural the bandwidth and speeds are streets ahead of the open reach offering.
But when my contract is up I'm definitely going to find a different supplier, I barely use any of the Virgin Channels (Netflix, Prime and YouTube mostly) The HDD on the Tivo box is full of stuff I'll never watch, I have a phone line, but I unplugged it as I only ever got spam calls on it

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
John, as we trundle along at the best offered locally on landlines here of 70mbps, I am intrigued what upping to 900mbps really does yield in practical terms?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a great deal we also with virgin been with them for six years when the contract is due for renewal might look for a new supplier . like what someone says we don"t use some of the channels we have .

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, pretty competitive landline prices. We have anytime with EE for landline at £8 pm with the only limit being calls over 60 minutes are chargeable from minute 61.

We have just had cable installed into our close so when my current contract expires I will look at who is offering what. But our needs are pretty modest compared to what you have been offered. But at that price I would grab it anyway.

I have absolutely no need for 900 maps. I currently have 200 with 20 upload. The 900 is up and down. Vodafone have a range of speeds available. But the 900 was the one on the big offer, so a no brainer.

John, as we trundle along at the best offered locally on landlines here of 70mbps, I am intrigued what upping to 900mbps really does yield in practical terms?

As said above, I have no need for it, just browsing and a bit of streaming.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I fear that the OP has fallen into the trap that many will when it comes to FTTP (a.k.a. FTTH) in terms of what is needed. It doesn't always follow that the best offer is the .... best?
For instance (assuming 900Mb is really necessary?) Zen (who are based in Rochdale and have one of the best CS reputations in the business) on CityFibre would charge you as follows:
145Mb £29.98
300Mb £32.99
500Mb £38.99
900Mb £47.99
Speeds are reciprocal (i.e. the same both ways - they haven't updated their web site yet) and the package includes a free router.
For £7 per month extra you get 1000min/month to UK mobiles and landlines, plus voicemail, call waiting, call diversion, call blocking, number withheld, and blacklisting.

The secret here is to get the fibre installed, make sure it works, then tell Zen (or whoever) that you want to retain your old landline number and have it transferred - or ported as it is known in the business. Zen will then handle everything. If you tell BT or VM that you are moving to another provider they will cease your line immediately and you will loose your number.

Alternatively you can open an account with a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service provider (VSP) such as Sipgate, Voipcheap, Voiphone, etc etc and move your number when you like. If at a later time you want to change broadband provider you don't need to do anything. You use an Analogue Telephone Adapter or ATA which takes your analogue phone output and converts it to digital format to connect to your broadband provider. I too am with VM (I was an original beta tester - I did work for NTL after all!) and have two lines with Sipgate. and one with Firstcom Europe (formerly voip.co.uk). I pay no rental for the services and just have to keep my accounts in credit. Doing it this way also means that by using a VoIP app on your mobile you can answer incoming calls to your 'home' number wherever you are. Calls with Sipgate are about 0.9p/min to UK landlines and 1.9p/min to Europe, Unfortunately they do charge more for calls to mobiles, unlike Zen. You can also port your old number to the VSP. To save money you could use VoIP for incoming calls but make your outgoing calls via Zen on a different (withheld) number.
Finally, with a VSP they will email you a sound file of any voicemails so no need to use your phone.

Reactions: JTQ and Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I fear that the OP has fallen into the trap that many will when it comes to FTTP (a.k.a. FTTH) in terms of what is needed. It doesn't always follow that the best offer is the .... best?
For instance (assuming 900Mb is really necessary?) Zen (who are based in Rochdale and have one of the best CS reputations in the business) on CityFibre would charge you as follows:
145Mb £29.98
300Mb £32.99
500Mb £38.99
900Mb £47.99
Speeds are reciprocal (i.e. the same both ways - they haven't updated their web site yet) and the package includes a free router.
For £7 per month extra you get 1000min/month to UK mobiles and landlines, plus voicemail, call waiting, call diversion, call blocking, number withheld, and blacklisting.

The secret here is to get the fibre installed, make sure it works, then tell Zen (or whoever) that you want to retain your old landline number and have it transferred - or ported as it is known in the business. Zen will then handle everything. If you tell BT or VM that you are moving to another provider they will cease your line immediately and you will loose your number.

Alternatively you can open an account with a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service provider (VSP) such as Sipgate, Voipcheap, Voiphone, etc etc and move your number when you like. If at a later time you want to change broadband provider you don't need to do anything. You use an Analogue Telephone Adapter or ATA which takes your analogue phone output and converts it to digital format to connect to your broadband provider. I too am with VM (I was an original beta tester - I did work for NTL after all!) and have two lines with Sipgate. and one with Firstcom Europe (formerly voip.co.uk). I pay no rental for the services and just have to keep my accounts in credit. Doing it this way also means that by using a VoIP app on your mobile you can answer incoming calls to your 'home' number wherever you are. Calls with Sipgate are about 0.9p/min to UK landlines and 1.9p/min to Europe, Unfortunately they do charge more for calls to mobiles, unlike Zen. You can also port your old number to the VSP. To save money you could use VoIP for incoming calls but make your outgoing calls via Zen on a different (withheld) number.
Finally, with a VSP they will email you a sound file of any voicemails so no need to use your phone.

The installation is arranged and agreed. The landline number has been retained. VM have not disconnected my lanline as I am still in contract. The speed is far in excess of what is required and all reviews say it works fine but that Vodafone service is not so good as VM. (but their telephone response is far better).

Vodafone are dearer than the Zen you quoted, but this cheap offer lasts for 2 years. After that I can re-evaluate. I was not drawn in by the 900mbpm. But by the price.

On City Fibre here, there are 11 service providers. The other 10 were very poor in their offers and in how they put them across.

I fail to see the trap I have fallen into. Please explain in layman's terms.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are with Plusnet at a cost of about £46 per month. That includes landline with Anytime unlimited local calls. I think speed is about 60 or 70mbps which is more than ample for us for Internet and watching Prime downloads.

When current contract is finished, we will drop landline rental as we mainly use mobiles through wifi. Bill should then reduce down to about £24 per month.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We are with Plusnet at a cost of about £46 per month. That includes landline with Anytime unlimited local calls. I think speed is about 60 or 70mbps which is more than ample for us for Internet and watching Prime downloads.

When current contract is finished, we will drop landline rental as we mainly use mobiles through wifi. Bill should then reduce down to about £24 per month.

Can I say that for that existing package there are way better offerings, even without changing providers.
With a focused physical phone chat to their "retention" team, it can be some £16 to £17 less and others here might even have achieved better.

A couple of hours "homework" on the web to get a handle on the special deals out there, is a very worthwhile investment before calling the retention team.

Though that said, I expect we need others paying these high rates to enable the providers to be able to offer better prices, for those that seek them! ;)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
To put this in perspective, if you have broadband only and are in a fibred area, you can get FTTP at 145Mb both ways for £29.98/m. 1000mins of calls to UK landlines and mobiles cost an extra £7/m.
Makes £46/m for 70Mb maximum look a bit sick doesn't it?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
To put this in perspective, if you have broadband only and are in a fibred area, you can get FTTP at 145Mb both ways for £29.98/m. 1000mins of calls to UK landlines and mobiles cost an extra £7/m.
When we went from about 30mbps to the current package just over a year ago to the 50-70mbps, we did not notice any difference as surely it cannot be any different if is using wifi? If you have a LAN connection, then perhaps you will notice the difference.
I have a Dell laptop and there is not connection for LAN hookup. I do have connection for HDMI, USB and C connection.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I might be being thick, but I can neither see how that adds perspective or the trap I have fallen into. Zen is available to me but not at the price you said and more expensive than Vodafone.

31D291A4-6C54-4A47-8242-49120CD3E701.png

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Not quite sure what you are saying? The prices above are exactly what I quoted in #11 to which you need to add £7 for 1000 minutes of calls a month to UK landlines and mobiles. I am puzzled why they don't quote the 145Mb option on your connection though? I did say however that they actually provide a reciprocal data rate - i.e. same speed both ways - and have not yet updated their web site (and that is from the horse's mouth.)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not quite sure what you are saying? The prices above are exactly what I quoted in #11 to which you need to add £7 for 1000 minutes of calls a month to UK landlines and mobiles. I am puzzled why they don't quote the 145Mb option on your connection though? I did say however that they actually provide a reciprocal data rate - i.e. same speed both ways - and have not yet updated their web site (and that is from the horse's mouth.)

That is the only Zen offers I have. The phone is very similar to what Vodafone offer. But as I said. With Vodafone I get free incoming calls, and can use for outgoing calls if needed, eg emergency. Which suits me down to the ground.

I am still confused as to why you said I fell into a trap (see #10). What trap?

It only appears that I am getting a superior deal than what you are suggesting.

John

Last edited:
May 11, 2021
Visit site
When we went from about 30mbps to the current package just over a year ago to the 50-70mbps, we did not notice any difference as surely it cannot be any different if is using wifi? If you have a LAN connection, then perhaps you will notice the difference.
I have a Dell laptop and there is not connection for LAN hookup. I do have connection for HDMI, USB and C connection.
That depends on the WiFi and Ethernet
1662714114536.png

My house is wired for Cat6 ethernet and I have a gigabit network switch, so the internal network is theoretically 1 Gbps capable. My router doesn't support gigabit ethernet though (100 Mbps max) and my broadband is only around 60 Mbps (FTTC) anyway.

Your laptop, you could use a USB-C ethernet dongle if you wished.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How do I check to see what version of the 802 I may have? I have download speed of about 74mbps and upload of 21mbps on wifi. Same speed when hard wired as just tested with wifi switched off. We have fibre up to the junction box about 200m away and then I assume copper from there to house.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
How do I check to see what version of the 802 I may have? I have download speed of about 74mbps and upload of 21mbps on wifi. Same speed when hard wired as just tested with wifi switched off. We have fibre up to the junction box about 200m away and then I assume copper from there to house.

Who is your supplier? Virgin, also fibre to box then copper, only provide 10% of download speeds for uploading.

I think there was a change of the law a few years ago into how speeds were sold. Suppliers we're stopped from saying the meaningless phrase of “up to”.

Just looked it up, it was 2018 and in brief says.

The new standard requires that numerical speed claims in broadband ads - across all media including online and social media - should be based on the download speed available to at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm-10pm) and described in ads as “average”.

I guess for this reason, the speeds I have been quoted, see # 12. Give a guarantee of just half of that advertised.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
An update.

As said previously, I am having Vodafone broadband installed. The ducting and fibre are all put in by City Fibre, as is the final installation. City Fibre turned up on the 21st as promised and said they could not get the fibre to the rear entrance point as I had hoped. so we agreed it would go by the front door. All three lads were really nice but could benefit from some practical training. I had to direct them and tidy up the job when they finished.

But they could not do the installation as they found a blockage 67 metres away. Another team needs to come out and fix the problem.

Vodafone has been excellent, they have put me on free unlimited cellular while waiting for the connection. So back to some TV hunting for a signal.

City Fibre came today, they are here right now. they found the blockage. It appears that after the ducting was laid a neighbour had a drop kerb installed and the contractors caused the damage.

For a while, it seemed they may have to recall the contractors which could have been very time consuming. But the boss at City Fibre told them to dig it up. They said the neighbour is being very grown up about it.

With luck, the ducting will be fixed today and we just need to wait then for the final installation.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A further update.

The men came to fix the duct. They found the problem, a neighbour had paid to have their kerb dropped and the pipe was damaged. They were, at first, reluctant to dig it up. but their boss told them to do it and take pictures. The following day, another team came and made the final connection.

We are now up and running at very fast speeds. But not the promised 910 Mbp/s, or the 450 minimum. But they assure me it will grow with time. A few days later my landline was connected. For some strange reason, though the 3 landlines all work, there is no dialing tone. It might be because the phones are very old.

B7757F38-8D7D-4073-8EAB-8FF9641D99DC.png

The hard thing has been leaving Virgin. They have been a nightmare. They kept on telling me that my cancellation was canceled by Vodafone, therefore the account is still live and I owe them. How much varied depending on who I spoke to. eg. £38 or 65 or 103 or 115 165 or 215. I was threatened with debt collectors and loss of credit rating. I informed them that a third party cannot legally cancel my instructions.

Eventually, I put an official complaint in. It was dealt with in two days. My so-called bill has been waived by crediting £176. I then spoke to disconnections who did their sums and said I will be due a £74 rebate on the 15th. You could not make it u.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS