TV for the caravan.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ours is Similar to Buckman in its travel bag but we put it in the wardrobe there pillows and quilt around it so does not move so far ok

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Deviating somewhat from the original topic but still related, there is an optimum viewing distance related to the number of pixels (resolution) and size of the TV. Get too far away and you may not be able to get the benefit of your TVs resolution. The graph below will show recommended distance vs resolution vs screen size.

Consider also what content you want to view. I still have a large collection of Standard Definition DVDs and many TV programs are still broadcast in SD. Viewing these on a 4K TV for instance can result in a poor quality picture.

My 43" LG TV was Full HD and SD playback was very good because its relatively easy to upscale this to HD. When it died I tried to find another Full HD TV but these are becoming less popular and the baseline now appears to be 4K which I didn't want. I've tried playback of SD on a 4K TV and it wasn't very good. Eventually I found a Sony 43" Full HD TV which is very good.

Viewing distance.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Deviating somewhat from the original topic but still related, there is an optimum viewing distance related to the number of pixels (resolution) and size of the TV. Get too far away and you may not be able to get the benefit of your TVs resolution. The graph below will show recommended distance vs resolution vs screen size.

Consider also what content you want to view. I still have a large collection of Standard Definition DVDs and many TV programs are still broadcast in SD. Viewing these on a 4K TV for instance can result in a poor quality picture.

My 43" LG TV was Full HD and SD playback was very good because its relatively easy to upscale this to HD. When it died I tried to find another Full HD TV but these are becoming less popular and the baseline now appears to be 4K which I didn't want. I've tried playback of SD on a 4K TV and it wasn't very good. Eventually I found a Sony 43" Full HD TV which is very good.

View attachment 1426
Thank you that’s an interesting chart. So even with a UHD and a 65 inch screen you have to be very close to benefit. Seems the technology has progressed irrespective of the way people watch. My chair positions me just over 12 ft from the screen. My wife a couple of foot further away. It’s no wonder one of the dogs is deaf given she likes snoozing beneath the tv. Better dig out the old DVDs again.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I made a post some time ago about Avtex TVs (Click Here) and my purchase of a Cello (Ferguson branded) 22" Full HD TV/DVD combi, 12V model (Freeview) - Its adequate for the few hours of TV we watch when away in the caravan, if you can look past the woeful viewing angle. I do use the 12v connection too, to keep my limited 240v plugs clear.

I would also add you definitely see the benefit of HD (1080p) on this set, as it clearly has poverty-spec software and does not upscale Standard Definition channels to it's native resolution very well.

My solution for transport is a homemade bubblewrap sleeve, to protect the screen and it goes behind the drivers seat in the car.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thank you that’s an interesting chart. So even with a UHD and a 65 inch screen you have to be very close to benefit. Seems the technology has progressed irrespective of the way people watch. My chair positions me just over 12 ft from the screen. My wife a couple of foot further away. It’s no wonder one of the dogs is deaf given she likes snoozing beneath the tv. Better dig out the old DVDs again.

Some of the later, 'bigger, better' TVs may have some additional benefits than others such as HDR and Motion Control but I'm dubious of these. In some ways its like Digital Cameras - more pixels is better. Well depends on what you want to do with the image.

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A year or two ago a guy did a detailed description on a Usenet group of the optics of viewing a screen and how to calculate the TV screen size for a given viewing distance. One important factor that is often overlooked is the discomfort you may suffer - and potentially eye damage - if you are viewing too close to a large screen because you cannot see the whole screen at once and have to keep moving your eyes (and consequently refocussing) to see what is happening in different areas of the picture.

Basically it came down to a screen size of 10.8" for every metre of viewing distance for a 1080p picture. With this formula you can see the whole screen without moving your eyes. This is one of the reasons for curved computer screens as you sit much closer and although you might have to move your eyes the radial distance is unchanged so your eyes don't need to refocus.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A year or two ago a guy did a detailed description on a Usenet group of the optics of viewing a screen and how to calculate the TV screen size for a given viewing distance. One important factor that is often overlooked is the discomfort you may suffer - and potentially eye damage - if you are viewing too close to a large screen because you cannot see the whole screen at once and have to keep moving your eyes (and consequently refocussing) to see what is happening in different areas of the picture.

Basically it came down to a screen size of 10.8" for every metre of viewing distance for a 1080p picture. With this formula you can see the whole screen without moving your eyes. This is one of the reasons for curved computer screens as you sit much closer and although you might have to move your eyes the radial distance is unchanged so your eyes don't need to refocus.
Thanks that’s a comfort, our telly is spot on.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The closer you are to a large screen like a 65" the more exercise your neck is going to get trying to capture the action on screen with all the twisting, ducking and diving LOL! :D

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I don't subscribe to the theory that the optimum distance reduces strain on eyes due to less movement and refocusing. We live in a 3D world and our eyes are constantly moving and refocusing anyway.

Its just not possible to look at a TV at the optimum distance and not move your eyes around anyway. If you focused on on spot you'd be relying on some peripheral vision to see the edges and thats not as sharp as the centre of your eye. Even reading a book our eyes move across the page.

Moving your head - well yes that could get annoying.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Anyone tried a TV Tuner USB stick on a laptop?

If you have the <right> TV stick you can download free software and use it as a Software Defined Receiver which will tune any frequency from 100KHz to 1700MHz and with any modulation.

If you have a decent signal strength and suitable software, as a TV receiver they work very well.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Im thinking my Avtex TV is getting a bit long in the tooth, had it for many years and will probably replace it with something a tad bigger. Also the stand is a bit awkward in this caravan and doesnt really sit safely where we place it. What makes and models do you guys use, and with what facilities built in. Would preferably want one with built in DVD player.
If you don't go "off grid" don't waste your money on a 12Vdc model. Domestic mains operated sets are what to go for from high street retailers,personally I wouln't go for "smart" tv's,some site WIFI coverage/reception is rubbish.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
When I looked back into some old caravan receipts, I was stunned to find our Avtex was 17 years old. It was working fine but the DVD was a bit noisy and didn't like some discs. Hence deciding to change.

Now Avtex are very expensive as we know, but 17 years, it owed me nothing. Sticking it on Ebay it made £91 plus postage. With all this considered and looking what was on offer, we decided to go Avtex again. We had two models in mind, both 24". One the pro version had DVD combined. The other was the new connected version which in the end we chose.

First impressions........ they are much lighter these days. The sound is truly awful, but the thinner you get the worse the sound. Nothing new. Avtex now do a 12/240v soundbar which attaches neatly to the TV if wallmounted. If like us you have nowhere to place a vesa mount, you have a problem. You cant stand the soundbar in front of the TV as the stand is quite low. Anywhere else the sound is coming from an odd direction. When you add the £150 of the soundbar to £419 for the TV its getting silly expensive.

In the end, I bought a pair of Creative PC speakers, pebble shaped and USB powered for £22 and they are small, neat, sound very good and have transformed the TV sound. As they are connected both via USB for power and 3.5mm jack for sound the volume works from the TV remote.

Also as a heads up, the connected version isnt that connected and to get all the streaming services you would need Roku or Firestick. Something to be aware of if buying that model.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When I looked back into some old caravan receipts, I was stunned to find our Avtex was 17 years old. It was working fine but the DVD was a bit noisy and didn't like some discs. Hence deciding to change.

Now Avtex are very expensive as we know, but 17 years, it owed me nothing. Sticking it on Ebay it made £91 plus postage. With all this considered and looking what was on offer, we decided to go Avtex again. We had two models in mind, both 24". One the pro version had DVD combined. The other was the new connected version which in the end we chose.

First impressions........ they are much lighter these days. The sound is truly awful, but the thinner you get the worse the sound. Nothing new. Avtex now do a 12/240v soundbar which attaches neatly to the TV if wallmounted. If like us you have nowhere to place a vesa mount, you have a problem. You cant stand the soundbar in front of the TV as the stand is quite low. Anywhere else the sound is coming from an odd direction. When you add the £150 of the soundbar to £419 for the TV its getting silly expensive.

In the end, I bought a pair of Creative PC speakers, pebble shaped and USB powered for £22 and they are small, neat, sound very good and have transformed the TV sound. As they are connected both via USB for power and 3.5mm jack for sound the volume works from the TV remote.

Also as a heads up, the connected version isnt that connected and to get all the streaming services you would need Roku or Firestick. Something to be aware of if buying that model.
Last year we bought the 24" Avtex plus the speaker, but we had so much hassle with them that we had to return them to the supplier. Avtex were unable to resolve the issues. However 10/10 for trying their best to resolve the issue and it was them that suggested returning it to retailer. We decided to buy a 28" LG Smart TV which suits us down to the ground!
We do still have a 21" Avtex that is still going strong however the original was exchanged 3 times after Avtex intervened and could not resolve the issue and did the exchanges. First one pictrue kept breaking upeven at home. Second one went stone dead after about 3 weeks. Third one still going strong.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
As we only use pitches with EHU, we recently bought an LG smart TV.
We take our 4g router from home and that gives us access to all the apps, ITV hub, Prime and Netflix etc as well as the normal channels.
Sound on the LG is absolutely first class.

Mainly for those dark winter nights but great all the same.

Kev

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Toshiba LCD 24" Widescreen HD LED TV built- in DVD player and Freeview
We have this for backup not use it so far .
We have one of these and only used it on one trip so far, but pleased with it, the stand does not feel as sturdy as some, but ok as only 2 of us. Not so sure if little kids are around it to knock it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As we only use pitches with EHU, we recently bought an LG smart TV.
We take our 4g router from home and that gives us access to all the apps, ITV hub, Prime and Netflix etc as well as the normal channels.
Sound on the LG is absolutely first class.

Mainly for those dark winter nights but great all the same.

Kev
We got a deal with Three and for unlimited data, calls and texts the cost is £20 a month. Works for us a we watch TV in the evenings when it is cool. We bought a Sony sound bar so that the sound faces towards the interior of the caravan. Using only the LG TV speakers means the sound is blasting towards the windows and outwards and you have to have it on a higher volume.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts