Twin axel with estate car

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
If anyone has time I would be very interested to hear from anyone who tows a twin axel with a Mondeo estate particularly the 2.2 tdci. Info on your Caravans Mtplm and alround outfit performance would be appreciated (2.0 tdci details also welcome)

I currently tow 1300kg with a 2.2st Hatch which is great. Thinking of a twin axel with an Mtplm of approx 1600kg and changing to the 2.2tdci estate

Thanks

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike,

According to my information the 2.2 Mondeo estate has a kerb weight of 1555Kg. Whilst others on this site condone towing a caravan in excess of the kerb weight of the car there is no caravanning organisation in Britain that recommends anything in excess of 100% of the kerbweight, and then only for experienced towers who are fully aware of the risks.

So personally (I tow a twin axle with 1900Kg max weight) I would say a definite no go.

Sorry

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Whatever published information says, I think you'll find that the actual kerbweight of a 2.2tdci estate will be around 1600kg so it's unlikely that you will exceed a 100% weight ratio by more than a negligible amount. Obviously you have previous towing experience so I wouldn't see it quite as bleak as Alan. I started caravanning at over 100% and towed like that for 7 years before buying a 4x4. However, due to ever increasing costs, I recently sold it and returned to something smaller resulting in a weight ratio of 100% again and, to be honest, it tows better than the 4x4 I had before.

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. To be a little more precise the Caravan is a T/A Lunar quasar 615 (2008)Mtplm 1550kg and the actual kerbweight of the 2.2 ST estate is 1640kg. I know the car will tow it no problem, I suppose being used to a lighter single axle Im looking for reassurance through other peoples experience. Ant comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike, i have spent the last year and a half towing a Swift Conqueror 640 salon with my VW Touran, load it sensibly and over the axles, and you should be fine, whilst tow car weight would ideally be above towed weight, Tow car stability with stiff suspension, together with the improved handling from the twin axles should leave you with an acceptable tow, i would also certainly agree with you on the power.

Regards Paul.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 7% is an anachronism of the past when owners had nothing better to go by. I think it is, on the whole, accepted nowadays that one should aim for but not exceed the lower of the two values specified for car and caravan, respectively.

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Good to see another caravanner with an excellent choice in cars.I have the the ST hatch.

The noseweight limit on the Mondy is 75kg.I tow a Coachman Amara 500/5 which has a MIRO on 1200kg with a user payload of 200kg - I think !!

My brother has the Lunar 615 2005 model which has a similar weight to mine and tows with a Freelander.

I would say that the 2.2 TDCI is more powerful enough to pull the van but you would have to check it is not above the 100% limit.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We have towed our 2004 lunar Lexon 640 which has similar unladen/laden weights to the new quasar with a 125hp transit tdci 2.0 and our 140hp S-max tdci 2.0. We were dissapointed that Ford did not fit the 2.2 to the S-max but the 2.0 is adequately powerful enough, I was needing to get home before dark when I bought the Lexon so it got towed from Kent to Whitby behind the transit at 70mph most of the way.

The noseweight on the s-max is 75kg which is just 4.7% of mtplm

but stability has never been an issue.

May 18, 2007
Visit site
I think the S-max TDCi 140 a newer engine and the old TDCi's of all flavours don't fit !

Although it is still called the TDCi it is new design and made under a different partnership - maybe Peugout/Citroen ??

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Ive just taken my 2.2 tdci st hatch (Which I was going to exchange for the estate version to pull a 1550kg t/a 615 Lunar)to the weighbridge. The car was weighed empty, very little fuel (5 litres at most) and no driver and came out at 1540kg. For kerbweight add 75kg driver plus approx 50litres of fuel(weight?) which would give at least 1650kg +. So at worst with my hatch i would be at 94% (before any other passengers and luggage) The published figure in the ford mondeo brochure for my car is 1484kg!! Bit of a difference.

Think I may tow with my hatch. Any thoughts? Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Your findings don't surprise me one bit. I have yet to come across any car which actually doesn't weigh more than what the manufacturer quotes in brochures or other publications. In order to be on the safe side, they nearly always state kerbweight which are very conservative.

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Your findings don't surprise me one bit. I have yet to come across any car which actually doesn't weigh more than what the manufacturer quotes in brochures or other publications. In order to be on the safe side, they nearly always state kerbweight which are very conservative.
Thanks Lutz, I know all the figures seem positive, you just don't see many t/a being towed by hatchback cars. I suppose the kerbweight and the power and torque of the 2.2 should be alright?

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
i tow a coachman amara 580/4 t/a with a 2.0 tdci estate. plenty of power and very stable. load correctly and watch the nose weight.29 mpg as well when towing,47 mpg normal use, 55 mpg on moroway cruise.

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
i tow a coachman amara 580/4 t/a with a 2.0 tdci estate. plenty of power and very stable. load correctly and watch the nose weight.29 mpg as well when towing,47 mpg normal use, 55 mpg on moroway cruise.
Thanks for your reply Paul, How do you find performance manouvering on site. I have never had wheelspin but my current van weighs 1300kg v 1550kg(Poss new van)Have you? Also how's the clutch performed with a heavy van, esp reversing. Thanks for your time

Mike

Apr 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike, i have spent the last year and a half towing a Swift Conqueror 640 salon with my VW Touran, load it sensibly and over the axles, and you should be fine, whilst tow car weight would ideally be above towed weight, Tow car stability with stiff suspension, together with the improved handling from the twin axles should leave you with an acceptable tow, i would also certainly agree with you on the power.

Regards Paul.
Hi Paul. We also have a Touran 1.9 TDi and very pleased with it too. It tows our 1989 Swift Corniche 14/4 well and we are thinking of getting a new caravan within the year. Do you know how much we can tow with this car. VWQ say 1450kg but I see other people say 1500kg which owuld be great for if it is.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS