Twin axle 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
I have had a few twin axle caravans and had the mover swopped to the new caravans. Sometimes driving the front wheels, sometimes the rear wheels.

On a single axle, when turning, the wheels rotate in opposite directions. On a 2 wheel drive twin axle, one wheel rotates and the other pulses between driving and locking the wheel.

My question is. . Does a 4 wheel drive work like a single axle turning one side forward and one side in reverse or does one side pulse while the other side rotates?

Just asking as I have acquired a spare mover and I fancy 4 wheel drive. .

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If you fit another single axle mover won't you then require two handsets? I dont think two control boxes can be operated from a single remote (but don't know, I am just surmising)

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
If you fit another single axle mover won't you then require two handsets? I dont think two control boxes can be operated from a single remote (but don't know, I am just surmising)
If it’s an AWD mover the control boxes are linked, so one handset two boxes. I would hazard a guess that if you buy another mover to make a single twin mover into AWD you would need extra cables and sinc the remote to both boxes. You do have to change the wiring on the rear axle/mover to make it run the correct direction, so if I remember correctly the left rear motor would wire into the right on the control box and right to the left on the box

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We inquired with Powertouch whether it could be done and it is possible, but the cost and hassle outweighed the pros. We ditched the single and went for AWD.

I would suggest selling the two single axle movers and then use that cash towards a proper AWD motor mover. If going to the continent AWD is almost essential on many sites.

Reactions: JRT
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all for your comments.
I have two control boxes operated by one remote handset. The boxes are not linked electrically but on test they pulse at the same rate.
If it's not successful I would have the option to drive either the rear or front wheels.
I have a 400kg payload so I thought I'd give it a try.
My son is helping me fit it at the end of July so will report back on progress.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have two control boxes operated by one remote handset. The boxes are not linked electrically but on test they pulse at the same rate.
If it's not successful I would have the option to drive either the rear or front wheels.
I would have thought that if you pair the remote to the one mover, then you cannot pair it to the other using the same remote?

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
When we swapped from a twin axle with a single mover to a single axle with a single mover we were told we couldn't swap the one from the twin axle to the single axle as even though outwardly they looked exactly the same they were set up completely differently.

Of course that could just have been the dealer wanting to sell a new mover but Powr touch do (or did at the time) list them separately on their web site.

And just to add - all the time we had a 2WD mover on the twin we didn't ever have an issue - yes the turning circle was greater but I can't ever recall it being a big problem - apart from perhaps as @Buckman suggests on one particular site at Lake Annecy which was particularly tight. We just needed to 'shuffle' a bit.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Should be easy enough to test without fitting to caravan. Place motors on ground in position and direction they would be when fitted. Then operate remote and see if motors turn in correct direction, for commands given by remote.

Reactions: Danddandy
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
I have had a few twin axle caravans and had the mover swopped to the new caravans. Sometimes driving the front wheels, sometimes the rear wheels.

On a single axle, when turning, the wheels rotate in opposite directions. On a 2 wheel drive twin axle, one wheel rotates and the other pulses between driving and locking the wheel.

My question is. . Does a 4 wheel drive work like a single axle turning one side forward and one side in reverse or does one side pulse while the other side rotates?

Just asking as I have acquired a spare mover and I fancy 4 wheel drive. .
Just reporting latest findings. We have now fitted a 2nd mover to the rear wheels. I can get the remote to connect to both boxes and move the caravan but after 2 minutes manoeuvering the remote loses contact with one of the boxes.
I can use 2 remotes, which works but pressing buttons on each remote has to be done simultaneously.
My plan is to try it on our next trip but I will probably use just one set of movers, but I will have the option of front or rear wheel drive.

• Wow
Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts