Twin Axle Problems...have you had any?

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
We are looking to purchace of a twin axle van (nothing massive just a regular UK sized 6 berth) We have heard some scare stories about TA owners being turned away from some sites, especially in France. Is there any truth in this and if so how prevelant is it.

I understand if we were to turn up in a transit van pulling something akin to a static we might send out the wrong signals but surely an MPV pulling a Lunar does not mean the next vehicle along will have the dodgems on board.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There are some sites in France which ban all twin axles - and we HAVE seen British vans turned away from these sites. However, what's more common is that the site has a notice up stating Twin Axles are not accepted - but will allow pre-booked units on site if you mention that you have a twin-axle. There are many other sites where it's not a problem at all but it is something that twin axles owners need to take into consideration.

There are posters on here, and other forums, stating that they've never had a problem - but equally there are others who have been turned away from sites.

It would be helpful, perhaps, to compile a list of sites where twin axles are definitely allowed on site - and equally a list of those where people have been turned away. It's been mentioned to Camping Cheques, and similar organisations, that it would be useful to know - and perhaps the Caravan Club's new Europe books might include this information?

G

I live in France and have never had a problem. We always tell sites the size of our caravans and have always been made welcome.

As far as I know the problem was mainly in the past with municipal owned sites that we never use!

We've been in a group with six and seven twin axles this summer and never had a problem in France or Italy. We were even given our own private area in south west Italy.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
The only problem that we have encountered is not being able to make an advance booking because of the length of the van with some operators.

G

Brum. If you mean by 'operators' booking agents or companies running operations such as Eurocamp Independent your problem is likely to be due to them making block bookings with ferry operators.

I've never had any problems booking directly myself

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Agree that the caravan club should consider listing sites that have a negative attitude to twin axles. I do however think that providing your van is within the normal 2.3x8m dimensions that can be pulled by a regular vehicle then turning people away in terms of wheel number is tantamount to discrimination... discuss

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Apparently some sites give the reason they exclude twin axles is because they tend to damage the pitch when turning, especially if the soil is sandy.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Euro.

When booking this / Last summer's site in Italy The C&C Club would not handle by booking because of caravan length (7.8 metres shipping). The C Club happily booked me on the very same site.

I did check with them about caravan length and was told that they were aware of no restrictions.

Brum

G

Sounds like too many chinese whispers to me!

Brum, like I said, Booking agents with block booking or taking a rule from one operator and then making it a general rule!

Rather than listen to rumour just get the outfit you want and get on the road, caravanning is a lot easier than some seem to want to make it.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have had a twin axle for 2 years now and have been to Europe

twice. This year we went for 3 months visiting 9 countries (not France though)and we have had no problems at all. I have on occasions emailed ahead to ask size of pitch and access to site but never had a refusal to take T/A at all. Go for it as they give you so much more room to sleep and relax.

Dianne

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
We have twin axle. we started going to France in 04 and for the last two years we have travelled further down to Spain stopping on sites on the way down and back. This year we went for three weeks taking 3 days travelling down 3 days returning through France. We didn't book any sites we stayed at in France also stopped in Andorra on the way up. We've never had any problems with booking sites abroad.

TRENDING THREADS