Types of Gases

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Could do with some help Propane Butane Gas which is the best to use on a caravan and why?

As I see it Propane does not Freeze I think it is higher Pressure but only to the regulator.

Butane does not work at low temp and is lower pressure again only to regulator.

This is all I now any other info please.

Ps why do som pople carry Both?

Regards steve

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Butane is usable down to about 5 degrees, Propane is usable at much lower temperatures. These are the temperatures where liquid turns to gas, ie boils.

Modern caravans have a bulkhead regulator set to 30mBar for both gases. Older caravans use cylinder regulators set to 28mBar for Butane and 37mBar for Propane.

Propane has less calorific value so gives less heat on modern carvans - the higher pressure more than compensates on older caravans - propane is more expensive to use.

If your only a three season caravanner butane will be best - if your caravan all year round, propane is the choice.

It's possible to change from butane to propane in autumn and back in spring, but few bother.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen,

As we use our caravan throughout the whole year we always use Propane because , as Roger says , it works at below freezing.

Butane has a higher calorific value but I've never had any problems with propane which is also readily available.

Cheers

Alan

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
If you can use 13Kg bottles propane costs about the same, smaller bottles butane is cheaper and if you can handle a 19 Kg bottle or bigger propane is cheaper.

This is based on pricing and calorific values from Calors own website.

We are quite lucky as we can fit a 13Kg bottle in the gas locker we use a 13Kg propane bottle at commercial sites and during the summer and we use a 19Kg propane bottle sat out the front at winter rallies.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We travel up to 3 months per year, UK and abroad and always use Propane.

NOTE From March 2008 Calor are introducing "Calor lite" lightweight cylinders which are interchangable with normal Propane cylinders. These are about HALF the weight of a normal 6K cylinder.

See www.calorlite.co.uk

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We travel up to 3 months per year, UK and abroad and always use Propane.

NOTE From March 2008 Calor are introducing "Calor lite" lightweight cylinders which are interchangable with normal Propane cylinders. These are about HALF the weight of a normal 6K cylinder.

See www.calorlite.co.uk
The cylinder is half the weight, the gas weighs the same!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts