Tyre Age

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Dennis,

95% of the time the marking will be a two digit one somewhere on the casing such as 1405 which refers in the case of one particular type and make to batch no 14 made in 2005, BUT you'll need to contact the manufacturers directly or via the national tyre council which is the manufactures trade association.

The problem is that whilst the tyres on your van and on my car are brand X - very often they are made in different factories /countries and the wall contains the same or different info laid out in a certain way.

Regards

Monkey's Husband

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The date of manufacture is identified by the last 4 digits of the DOT number which you should find on the sidewall. The first 2 of these 4 digits is the week, the third and fourth are the year. So, 2705 would be 27th week 2005.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The tyre industry trade organisation recommends that caravan tyres are replaced within 7 years of manufacture, BUT if the tyres are higher pressure type, over 50 psi, they should be replaced within 5 years.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

I think you'll find that it's a batch number not a week no .the reason for this is that I've had tyres fitted with 8704 and 9804 respectively and I've been contacted by one tyre manufactures for wear readings with the datasheet is the clearly marked batch no.

The reason that I told Dennis to go to the manufacturer is that I've seen on make of H rated tyres where they are the same brand/ model yet and made to EC standards yet the wall info was massively different. One set we made for the home market the other tyres are parallel imports from Australia but made in the EU!!

Regards MH .

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have not found any information in the internet which states anything other than details of production date on tyres are marked as a 2 digit week and 2 digit year code.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I have not found any information in the internet which states anything other than details of production date on tyres are marked as a 2 digit week and 2 digit year code.
Lutz,

As your appreciate trying to get hold of a technical tyre rep from one of the manufacturers on the last Friday before Christmas is not easy, I post a full report on dates etc, when they come back after Christmas.

Recently however there has been a lot of talk about raising the standards of info on the walls of tyres in the EU. The US leads the way: probably after the Firestone debacle - in info; you only have to look at what's printed on Dunlop/Goodyear's to see that.

Moreover Michelin have been badgering the EU for a wear/energy rating to be incorporated, they have introduced numbers such as 320 & 400 on "Energy's" - the problem is there is no way that Bridgestone (firestone) or Pirelli are going to accept something that's being imposed especially when they don't have tyres that meet the competition at present!!

Anyway have a nice Christmas and I'll give you full run down on what Bridgestone, Michelin and Toyo have to say in the new year .

MH

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

I now have had several comments back from tyre reps re you observation - and there are two sides to this story if the tyre is from a European based manufacturer then generally they will contain a lot less info than a tyre made by a Japanese or N American maker .

European manufactures tend produce their batches of tyres in working weeks, where as the Japanese tend to move more volume through the limited factories and so may produce two different types of tyre during the week or rather over a period of time.

Some companies like Federal use two different marks a technical one and an age one. Others like Toyo go for batches where as Goodyear/Dunlop use date but refer to the number in the trade as batch.

So in conclusion the words of the Michelin man (no not that one ) are probably the most correct - "we make it simple for the public to identify age as it's a key component to tyre safety"... yes your friend (I think he as referring to you lutz ) is the right, what is posted on the Web and in tyre distributors premises is designed to make the public consumer more informed

Sorry my reply took a while to come if you need any more info I'll get it for you

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts