Tyre blowout

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi There, although I tow my caravan safely and within limits, I ofen wonder what would happen in the event of a tyre blowout on my caravan. Is there a laid down procedure to follow should this ever happen...? IE should you immediately step off the gas, slow down and try and counteract any swaying...?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In simple terms you have described what you need to do, but you have to take the necessary action as the circumstances dictate.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I had a blowout on the motorway last year. Of course one needs to come to rest as quickly as reasonably possible without doing an emergency stop, as this could aggravate any swaying (although it did not occur in my case). Because of the flexing of the tyre when running deflated, it was starting to catch fire by the time I was able to pull over to the hard shoulder (traffic was heavy at the time and I was in the centre lane). I did not experience any stability problems, though, and the bead remained on the wheel rim.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
True story........

I was once startled to see a car/caravan combination coming towards me on an A road doing around 30mph and making a lot of noise.

The caravan tyre I could see was completely flat but was still on the rim.

I then noticed the wheel had left a trail on the road (metal on tarmac)

There was a similar trail left by the wheel that I could not see!

These trails lasted for about 4 miles.

I guess once you can slow down to around 30mph you will be fine!

May 7, 2009
Visit site
True story........

I was once startled to see a car/caravan combination coming towards me on an A road doing around 30mph and making a lot of noise.

The caravan tyre I could see was completely flat but was still on the rim.

I then noticed the wheel had left a trail on the road (metal on tarmac)

There was a similar trail left by the wheel that I could not see!

These trails lasted for about 4 miles.

I guess once you can slow down to around 30mph you will be fine!
You should get tyron bands well worth the money and they can save you money on your insurance. They stop the tyre comming off the rim and allow you to control the car and van in the event of a blow out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello K.

The advantages or otherwise of Tyron bands has been widely discussed on this forum.

No definitive evidence has been presented that demonstrates the product actually makes any difference in a real world blow out scenario.

The manufacture demonstrates the product in simulated blow out situations, but fails to demonstrated what would happen under the same cicrcumstances without their product. The simulations fall short of what happens in the real world when a tyre suffers a blow out.

As such it is impossible for any customer to make a rational decision about the product.

The manufacture has been challenged to produce the evidence, but their silence should not be construed as an admission of failure, but it does leave one wondering.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Daniel

Maybe prevention is better than a cure.

It may be obvious but it is sensible to thoroughly check the tyre condition before each journey, looking for nails etc bulges in the side walls and of course pressure.

If it does happen , as everyone else says slow down as gently as possible and try to get to a point of safety.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts