Tyre suggestion for Santa fe

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Just had the 2016 Santa fe serviced and I have an amber warning for both of the rear tyres.
4.5mm tread,but slightly perished so its time to change them.
At present,I have Hankook Ventus Prime 235/60/R18 103H fitted.
Any suggestions or go for the same again?
Reckon I'm looking at around £120 each.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Always a good idea to have a look see what Kwik-Fit have on their offer list. You will need to order and pay on line to get the best price but go to you local outlet for fitting. KF are doing a Goodyear Wrangler in your size at a good price this week. I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 on my last car and I think I have AS 5 on this. They are a very stable and quiet tyre and do last well.
On my last two Co cars before I retired (sic!) which were Astra diesel estates and which I ran full of test gear all the time, they came fitted with Bridgestones and was surprised how well they lasted - in fact I was told off by the lease company for not having them changed until 39K on one car - and there was still 3-4mm left!! (They considered tyres on a Co car spent at 15K!!)
Asda are also usually good for tyre prices although you deal with a sub-contract company. You order and pay them and they send the tyres to the nearest fitting agent on their list - mine was the local Stoneacre - for free fitting.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Some years back, I put BF Goodrich on the Shogun. I am simply stunned at how well they are wearing. May not suit everybodies taste, but if you are looking at Wranglers, then these are in the same bracket..............but way better.

If I have any complaint, there is an increase in trye hum.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Always a good idea to have a look see what Kwik-Fit have on their offer list. You will need to order and pay on line to get the best price but go to you local outlet for fitting. KF are doing a Goodyear Wrangler in your size at a good price this week. I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 on my last car and I think I have AS 5 on this. They are a very stable and quiet tyre and do last well.
On my last two Co cars before I retired (sic!) which were Astra diesel estates and which I ran full of test gear all the time, they came fitted with Bridgestones and was surprised how well they lasted - in fact I was told off by the lease company for not having them changed until 39K on one car - and there was still 3-4mm left!! (They considered tyres on a Co car spent at 15K!!)
Asda are also usually good for tyre prices although you deal with a sub-contract company. You order and pay them and they send the tyres to the nearest fitting agent on their list - mine was the local Stoneacre - for free fitting.

We would not go near Kwikfit with a barge pole. Recently had to buy rear tyres and bets price was ASDA Online. Paid for tyre fitting and later on same day got email tyres were not available although they had taken the money. Had to wait 5 days for refund. Best price was with National Tyres and ended up saving nearly £50 a tyre. They were Continental tyres. The front tyres have done over 18k and still loads of tread.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I always get prices from Mytyres.co.uk and have been very impressed with Tyres on the drive-made life very easy-all done on the drive cheaper than any of our local tyre depots whose stock was very poor. I like mid range tyres-subsidiaries of famous brands, -Hankook used to be one of these but have now moved in to the top tier-fave at the moment for me is Falken but just put a Nexen on my daughter's car and it was a good price and seems fine-grip ratings now clearly available and google is good to read up on the test.
Basically read the reviews-Continental and Goodyear are usually vying for test wins-Michellin are great but pricey! How long is a piece of string. Just wouldn't put some unknown budget on my main vehicle! Having experience of Landsail-where i did just that -wet weather , slippy slidey front wheels-decent tyres on the back-didn't let go fortunately so it was a big understeer-they were swapped straight after and the difference was instantly obvious!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I research and decide on brand/model/specification of tyre and then order online from the cheapest delivered source - I get them delivered to my local trusted independent who then fit them for me. Last ones I bought were Vredestein Quatrac Pro from Camskill, previously Dunlop SP Winter Sport from Oponeo.

The "problem" with the big brands like Continental, Goodyear and Michelin is that they have so many variants that their performance/value isn't consistent across the whole range - just because their summer car tyre is good doesn't mean their All-Season SUV tyre is any good at all - and vice versa.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Totally agree Roger and a good move-are the local fitters happy-always wonder how they feel fitting someone elses profit?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree Roger and a good move-are the local fitters happy-always wonder how they feel fitting someone elses profit?
I always ask the indy about this and they're always happy - there's little profit in tyres (except at list price) and this way they avoid any comeback on faulty tyres. They only do tyres as a sideline, servicing, repairs and MoTs are their bread-and-butter.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for that-no need to feel guilty then-gives me another option-I've always got the prices online then bartered with them thinking they wouldn't make the money-you usually pay a bit more OR have less choice which is what annoys me with the local. Will follow you next time! Thanks again.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I used to run the Hankook's as my primary focus was low noise and low rolling resistance (Loads of Motorway miles) but I have switched to Michelin Cross Climate (SUV) after a few snowy drives made me realise how stupid it is drive on snow with Summer tyres. These seem the best compromise between summer tyres and a separate dedicated set of winter tyres .

As for 'Tyres on the Drive' I had used them a few times with no issue, but the last time we had them out the fitter damaged a diamond-cut alloy which was otherwise as-new. Looked like they had dropped the rim with tyre off, but the company did admit fault, and refunded the cost of refurbishment.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We have a really good independent tyre dealer, that’s all he does.
He’s a few ££ dearer than the likes of KF but totally trustworthy, gives a great service and worth paying for just to help keep him open.

Kev

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I've got Pirelli on mine-hug the road and very quiet. Usually buy via Black Circles as always found them best price & get them fit locally without a problem

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the Hankook Vectus Prime 2 tyres as new, they done 41 k miles 3 years, and were down to 3 mm. I HAD, swopped front to back, until replacment. Fantastic tyres for the SF. I was towing a lot at that time maybe on average 6k miles a year the rest solo.
I went to Nokian Weatherproofs as we were driving a lot to Switzerland, every 4 months so needed a all season tyre, very good, just down to 4.5 mm after 30k miles less touring now, but might go to Dunlops all season. But seriously thinking about back to the Hankooks.
Price to me is not a consideration, over 3 years. Extra grip,

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes my Hankook's have done 41k and still have 4.5 mm tread left.(I presume they are the original tyres from new).
As the service showed,they have perished slightly with cracks showing on the sidewalls near the rim.
Definitely not towing until I get them changed,so I think I will go for the same make again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes my Hankook's have done 41k and still have 4.5 mm tread left.(I presume they are the original tyres from new).
As the service showed,they have perished slightly with cracks showing on the sidewalls near the rim.
Definitely not towing until I get them changed,so I think I will go for the same make again.
My Nokians are showing signs of Small perishing cracks on the surfface near the edges, this is not a worry, perishing cracks on the side wall might be a thought. With 4.5 mm still you are just under 50 % of tyre wear and I would not think of changing them , unles you are going into the Milton Keynes roundabout Rat race at 60,mph and sliding into the outside lanes.
You have a lot of life left in your tyres especially at the moment woth Covid.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Nokians are showing signs of Small perishing cracks on the surfface near the edges, this is not a worry, perishing cracks on the side wall might be a thought. With 4.5 mm still you are just under 50 % of tyre wear and I would not think of changing them , unles you are going into the Milton Keynes roundabout Rat race at 60,mph and sliding into the outside lanes.
You have a lot of life left in your tyres especially at the moment woth Covid.
In the same way that Summer tyres need replacing at 3mm as their wet grip drops off the cliff below that, Winter and All-season tyres need changing at 4mm for the same reason.

Reactions: Hutch and JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts