Tyre wear problem

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I had my caravan serviced yesterday and they noticed that one of the tyres has uneven wear. The inside edge has become somewhat smooth. This is reminiscent of tracking problems on cars. Do Caravans have similar issues?

The tyres are 5 year old according to the date code but we've only been running on them for the last 3.5 years . Probably less than 8K miles. Tread depth is 5mm.

Its possible is just the trye. Ovation V-02. Some years ago I had two Avon tyres fitted to my car. After a few thousand miles there was uneven wear on the outer edge of the front two. I got the tracking etc checked and it was correct. Further investigation showed that I was not alone having this problem. When I discussed it with the local garage they were aware of the problems and were not recommending or fitting Avon tyres any more.

20240918_135155.jpg

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The caravans geometry may well be out of true. But there is no adjustment so far as I am aware.

The tyres should be changed at 5 years anyway. Even if this is perhaps too often, at least it is on the safe side. It is nothing to do with the ‘used for’ duration.

In your case, the scrubbing may cause a detrimental affect on mpg.

John

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
What's a roundabout? Are they to be found at the bottom of potholes of which we have an abundance.

I checked the suspension and as far as I can see both sides are the same height but I can't check for stiffness. Can't work out yet how to check chassis alignment.

The unknown fact is - This has never been picked up in previous services. So has it occured just this year - not good. Or has it been a gentle wear problem and no previous service has been as thorough as this one ( although same place as last year but....)

We're finished this year anyway and I think I may put the spare on at the start of next year and change the tyres at the end of the season, providing nothing more serious occurs.

Does anyone rotate their caravan tyres? I do on my car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What's a roundabout? Are they to be found at the bottom of potholes of which we have an abundance.

I checked the suspension and as far as I can see both sides are the same height but I can't check for stiffness. Can't work out yet how to check chassis alignment.

The unknown fact is - This has never been picked up in previous services. So has it occured just this year - not good. Or has it been a gentle wear problem and no previous service has been as thorough as this one ( although same place as last year but....)

We're finished this year anyway and I think I may put the spare on at the start of next year and change the tyres at the end of the season, providing nothing more serious occurs.

Does anyone rotate their caravan tyres? I do on my car.
I never rotated my caravan tyres other than when moving it. 😂

On the car which is FWD I move back to front when the front are worn. Then put new tyres to rear. Tyres are unidirectional so not conducive to rotation. Currently front are summer Continental with 5mm, rears are quite new Goodyear Vector all seasons with 7.5mm.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This from Caravan Talk may help you. How many miles have these tyres done?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have not had the wear on one side of my caravan tyres.
I know this next statement will create controversy, but my tyres are now almost 7 years old, on my caravan. Totally no ageing cracks or problems,
There is nothing from tyre manufacturers to say replace tyres at Xx years old except for commercial vehicles.
So why should I replace my tyres, I have tyre pal , pressure sensors, as an added safety measure.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have the wheels been balanced. They should be good for another 2- 3 years however being Ovation brand tyres I would dump them as soon as possible.

Reactions: cooky1
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wear such as you have discovered on your caravan can only have a limited number of cause. The fact its appears to be very even all the way round the the edge of the tyre points to a tracking error.

I'm not aware of any adjustments that you can make on a caravan chassis for tracking, so it suggests its a component that might be damaged.

A worn wheel bearing,
bent stub axle,
damaged swing arm,
damaged/bent cross caravan torsion tube.

I have once come across a tyre that was faulty, but it didn't affect the whole circumference

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wear such as you have discovered on your caravan can only have a limited number of cause. The fact its appears to be very even all the way round the the edge of the tyre points to a tracking error.

I'm not aware of any adjustments that you can make on a caravan chassis for tracking, so it suggests its a component that might be damaged.

A worn wheel bearing,
bent stub axle,
damaged swing arm,
damaged/bent cross caravan torsion tube.

I have once come across a tyre that was faulty, but it didn't affect the whole circumference
Interesting. Would a collapsed rubber possibly cause the issue? I am not a mechanical just going by what I have read in the past about caravan dropping on one side.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interesting. Would a collapsed rubber possibly cause the issue? I am not a mechanical just going by what I have read in the past about caravan dropping on one side.
The rubber is part of the torsion tube, so yes. Anything that causes the swing arm to lose its correct alignment could cause uneven tyre wear.

Prof has pointed out all the possibilities. The remedy ,is not simple.
According to Al-ko the tracking is adjustable, at their factory!

If there is no sign of a collapsed axle nor external damage I’d buy two new tyres and see how they go
I wold swap the wheels over That will extend the set's working life, and show if the problem was tyre or chassis/axle related.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts