TyrePal easy to fit & easy to use

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tyre pal is very good, the only thing I dislike is the fact the wheel sensors don’t wake up say when you turn the screen on only after you have driven a short distance
I am aware of two methods of monitoring the inflation of the tyres, there is the pressure sensing caps which have been part of the discussion so far. These do monitor the actual air pressure in the tyre. and communicate the values by transmitting a unique RF signal which is detected and decoded by the receiver. All the valve caps need a battery and eventually they will run down, so to preserve the battery life, they detect the motion of the wheel and only transmit when the wheel is rotating.

The other system I'm aware of as used on my VW Passat: it operates on the principle that if all the tyres are correctly inflated they should all have the same distance from the road to the centre of the axle stub, and thus when traveling in a straight ahead direction all the wheels should rotate at the same angular velocity. If any tyre begins to lose pressure compared to the other wheels the distance between the axle and road will reduce slightly and its angular velocity will increase. The system detects the change and flags a warning in the display.

The ABS method has both some advantages and disadvantages, it's always self contained and does not need the sensors or the receiver to have a battery charged or changed. It can't show actual tyre pressures or temperatures. it can only alert when a tyre is acting differently to the rest. In theory it might be activated if the vehicle is set up when empty, but is the heavily loaded so the rear tyres are carrying far more load than the front. It might also activate if tyre wear is uneven.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It generally works out quite well for me.

If prior to moving the van up to the car I open and close the car driver's door, that waking the monitor, then the moving of the van up to the hook, wakes up the wheel sensors.

So, directly after hitching up, peek in the driver's door at the monitor, its showing the tyre pressures. Leave looking at it for too long, saying your goodbyes, the lot goes to sleep again.

Our TyrePal is an ageing TB99, using just two of its 5 sensor, on the caravan's wheel.
These were sold for vehicles, not trailers, but I have not explained that to it, and therefore it knows no different, and just works.
Mine is the one which I think can do 16 wheels.
It is very seldom that I move the van to hitch up, I nearly always reversed onto the van, my right sensor always takes about 300 yards before connecting to the monitor.
But I always look at the tyres and I can see by eye if there is a drop of say 10 psi in the tyre pressure, just got used to it over the years, engineers Eyes.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am aware of two methods of monitoring the inflation of the tyres, there is the pressure sensing caps which have been part of the discussion so far. These do monitor the actual air pressure in the tyre. and communicate the values by transmitting a unique RF signal which is detected and decoded by the receiver. All the valve caps need a battery and eventually they will run down, so to preserve the battery life, they detect the motion of the wheel and only transmit when the wheel is rotating.

The other system I'm aware of as used on my VW Passat: it operates on the principle that if all the tyres are correctly inflated they should all have the same distance from the road to the centre of the axle stub, and thus when traveling in a straight ahead direction all the wheels should rotate at the same angular velocity. If any tyre begins to lose pressure compared to the other wheels the distance between the axle and road will reduce slightly and its angular velocity will increase. The system detects the change and flags a warning in the display.

The ABS method has both some advantages and disadvantages, it's always self contained and does not need the sensors or the receiver to have a battery charged or changed. It can't show actual tyre pressures or temperatures. it can only alert when a tyre is acting differently to the rest. In theory it might be activated if the vehicle is set up when empty, but is the heavily loaded so the rear tyres are carrying far more load than the front. It might also activate if tyre wear is uneven.
Although I know of the Non pressure system, the rotational system must take readings and compute them into an on board computer of some sort, I wonder how many revolutions it takes before giving a negative signal to the on board readout.
Not night time reading for me tonight.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It definitely takes a lot more than a few meters to wake the sensors, sometime one might not wake for half a mile or more (and not the same sensor but a random one)

Not with ours, as said the TyrePal TB99 of probably a decade old.
These sensors wake up in the few metres involved in motor moving our van to the car.
At home this is a "L" shaped leg reversing 10 to 20 metres then forward 2 or 3.
It also generally occurs leaving sites, there the motor moving can be literally 2 or 3 metres.

If as is being claimed the newer ones take half a mile of rolling to wake up then the designers really have lost sight of the purpose.
I read somewhere for battery life extending even the older sensors like ours, only transmit when initially the wheel is rotated, then periodically, plus immediately on sensing a threshold change.
Therefore, if the monitor is not already awake to receive that initial signal, it would be understandable there is no reading till the sensors come to their first re-transmitting session.
This periodic transmission feature explains why you can notice that the pressure can jump up quite significantly during that first few miles, not small incrementally increase, as must be the reality. The tyre heats up quite rapidly so between re transmissions, so has the pressure moved quite a lot.

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It is very seldom that I move the van to hitch up, I nearly always reversed onto the van, my right sensor always takes about 300 yards before connecting to the monitor.

Interesting you had trouble with the right-hand wheel's readout, this was an issue we encountered in the early days of using the product.

What I concluded from experimenting, that included change overs using most of the 5 supplied sensors, and switching right for left, it was not a sensor issue but a location issue. It mattered not what sensor was used on the right wheel it was always the signal from that right wheel that could be missing.

As discussed earlier the monitor is self-activating, when I realised that and adopted leaving it "on", I nearly always got a right-hand along with a left hand readout, using the mover. Previously I switch the monitor on when back in the driving seat doing the "pre flight" checks. Doing that the left woke up way earlier than the right. The right also had a tendency to drop out and return on journeys.

The "penny dropped". All along the issue was different if I was sat in the driving seat; it was the physical presence of my body sat there that "blocked" the sensor located on the right side, even though marginally a shorter transmission route.
Repositioning the monitor a small bit across the dash was all that was needed to solve that issue; that together with having re-read and understanding the instruction, the monitor needs leaving "on", solved my issues, and as said now I generally have a readout on both channels, even before I get into the driving seat. Plus, both are as consistently as reliable as each other.
That the monitor is not now directly in front of me is not an issue, its so reliable I tend not to bother looking at it that frequently, knowing it will scream at me if the system senses any issue.
I accept I am using a vehicle TPMS sold for a car, not a trailer so the transmission ability might not be as capable, but as I only needed twin sensors I decided to gamble and buy an amplifier if needed, thinking the system is dumb and would never know if used on a trailer or car wheel; it worked and my testing indicated it could transmit well over the distances involved if the signal path was not blocked so effectively.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was told that the Tyrepal unit only updates about once every half hour unless there is a change in pressure. I think the unit sends the signal to the sensors to activate them and keeps sending a signal until it has the data and then does a check every 20 - 30 minutes? To wake up the system, walk around the unit and tap the sensors

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I was told that the Tyrepal unit only updates about once every half hour unless there is a change in pressure. I think the unit sends the signal to the sensors to activate them and keeps sending a signal until it has the data and then does a check every 20 - 30 minutes? To wake up the system, walk around the unit and tap the sensors

I don't share your view that the monitor talks to the sensors in anyway, I believe it just listens to what they say. The sensor wake up I believe is all entirely self sensing, even banging mine with a sharp finger nail flick can do so. [can no longer use that trick since adopting metal HP stems]
I have no "feel" for the period between sensor transmission, though I would be quite surprised if only done every half an hour.
The early intermittent reading issue from our right wheel suggests something much more frequent than half hourly.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't share your view that the monitor talks to the sensors in anyway, I believe it just listens to what they say. The sensor wake up I believe is all entirely self sensing, even banging mine with a sharp finger nail flick can do so. [can no longer use that trick since adopting metal HP stems]
I have no "feel" for the period between sensor transmission, though I would be quite surprised if only done every half an hour.
The early intermittent reading issue from our right wheel suggests something much more frequent than half hourly.
I am only going by what Tyrepal told me. I will see if I can dig out the post from years ago. Just to add if it was the sensors that activate the unit they would be constantly seeking even if the unit was not present and the batteries would be flattened in no time.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I am only going by what Tyrepal told me. I will see if I can dig out the post from years ago. Just to add if it was the sensors that activate the unit they would be constantly seeking even if the unit was not present and the batteries would be flattened in no time.

Correct !
BOTH items (display and monitor) go into "sleep mode" after a certain period of time, and they BOTH "wake up" when they sense movement. The display will wake up as the car door opens and the wheel sensors once the wheels start rotating.
Tyrepal say the monitor (of either type) doesn't ever need to be switched off, which, after 6 or 7 years constant use on various cars I can confirm.
The display is ONLY a receiver, and the sensors are only transmitters. There is no requirement for the monitor to transmit anything. It receives the information from the sensors and displays it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Correct !
BOTH items (display and monitor) go into "sleep mode" after a certain period of time, and they BOTH "wake up" when they sense movement. The display will wake up as the car door opens and the wheel sensors once the wheels start rotating.
Tyrepal say the monitor (of either type) doesn't ever need to be switched off, which, after 6 or 7 years constant use on various cars I can confirm.
The display is ONLY a receiver, and the sensors are only transmitters. There is no requirement for the monitor to transmit anything. It receives the information from the sensors and displays it.
We purchased ours way back in 2014/2015 and don't think that the receiver has the sleep mode. No mention of that facility in the handbook either and never tried it. Once we are on site whether caravan or storage site, the receiver is switched off and stored in the car. I think ours is a 225 model?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Correct !
That completely reflects our real life experience, even to rarely if ever switching off the monitor, though that is not the solar powered type. It retains a charge for months, I just occasionally boost it for an hour or so, via its removable power cable.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If like their TC215B, and indeed our TB99, see the manual LINK

Reading Clause 5. Operation

It says effectively;
The sensor are looking at the pressures every few seconds whilst the vehicle is moving.
That they transmit immediately on sensing a "falling pressure".
But update the monitor ever five minutes otherwise.
All to minimise their battery drain.

My comment: whilst I expect accepting they have covered the real needs.

Reading 5.1 Sleep mode
There is says very specifically the monitor has a built in motion sensor that both wakes it up and shuts it down .
Adding "so it does not normally need to be turned off".
Only recommending switching off if not required for long periods, that only to limit battery drain.

My comment; experience of switching it off manually is I did not switch it back on early enough to catch the action, so leaving as recommended made it way less hassle plus useful.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As with most types of technology, l'm sure the method of sensing and Tx/Rx on Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems have advanced over time. Consequently there will be differences even between models from the same manufacturer. Just because you may have a system that works in a particular way, does not mean all models have to work in the same way.

Reactions: JTQ and Buckman

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
True, that's why reading the manual and going by it can often cure issues we have by using a product without knowing even the way they intended.
An aspect I missed in the initial days when I switched our on and off as I thought best.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That's interesting about the right hand sensor and the position of the monitor, I will try changing the position of the monitor. My sensor certainly update almost straight away. Travelling from my home with the van on tow, especially on a hot day the tyre temperatures can change when the sun shines on the wheels as the direction changes.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
That's interesting about the right hand sensor and the position of the monitor, I will try changing the position of the monitor. My sensor certainly update almost straight away. Travelling from my home with the van on tow, especially on a hot day the tyre temperatures can change when the sun shines on the wheels as the direction changes.
Yes, the sunny vs shaded side can be most evident, as can the quite dramatic effect of a shower, particularly a summertime hail one, the water cooling the tyres.
Long since I worried about the other massive effect, the actual pressure rise there is in our highly loaded caravan tyres.
Comforted by my confidence in the better brands designers knowing what they are doing, and with us running with these loads at speeds far below that loading's rated speed, generally in a cooler ambient.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
True, that's why reading the manual and going by it can often cure issues we have by using a product without knowing even the way they intended.
An aspect I missed in the initial days when I switched our on and off as I thought best.
We store ours in the car and if it switched on every time we entered the car, it probably would require charging more frequently which is why we switch it off anyway.

Just to add, about 2 weeks ago we had the tyres changed and did not fit the sensors until we returned to the storage area about 4- 5 miles away. We fitted them and went away over the Easter.

Alarm kicked in after a few miles showing we were over pressure. I have it set to 5 above normal pressure. It seems that the fitter over inflated the tyres by about 1-2 psi.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We store ours in the car and if it switched on every time we entered the car, it probably would require charging more frequently which is why we switch it off anyway.
So do I, and I leave it on, but in reality, I only need to recharge it possibly two monthly.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Alarm kicked in after a few miles showing we were over pressure. I have it set to 5 above normal pressure. It seems that the fitter over inflated the tyres by about 1-2 psi.
I would not do anything until I had checked them under the right conditions, long rested from having run and at the prevailing ambient.
Doing the check in the correct way is the only constructive technique we have in checking the set tyre pressure.

I know yours is a four wheeled trailer, not our current two wheeled but running going just 5 psi over the cold setting value does not suggest to me over inflation.
New tyres I have noted heat up more than when they are old and flex far less load for load.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My caravan tyre pressures regularly rise 5 or 6 psi over just a few miles, then stabilise (unless in direct strong sunlight when they can increase by 8 or 9psi) So my high pressure alarm point, (which seems totally pointless on a single wheel set up, but would be very good if on a two wheel per side truck axle) is set at about 15psi higher than the cold pressure

I have Tyrepal sensors on car and caravan. When solo I use the small solar monitor because it can only "see" 4 sensors, it just sits on the dash switched on and I never touch it.

When towing I swop to using my original monitor, the much larger (so difficult to locate in my car) grey one that can monitor umpteen wheels so is ideal for car plus caravan.
I always charge that one up prior to departure. It lasts a decent time (well over a week or more at least) before it needs recharging. It sits in the centre console, if there's a problem the audible alarm goes off so there is no need to have it sat atop the dash. If that ever fails I will get another solar unit just for the caravan sensors, the solar monitors are only about 30% the cost of a caravan tyre!

I also always carry spare batteries for the sensors. They only ever seem to need replacing when I am in France or Spain.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would not do anything until I had checked them under the right conditions, long rested from having run and at the prevailing ambient.
Doing the check in the correct way is the only constructive technique we have in checking the set tyre pressure.

I know yours is a four wheeled trailer, not our current two wheeled but running going just 5 psi over the cold setting value does not suggest to me over inflation.
New tyres I have noted heat up more than when they are old and flex far less load for load.
Sorry I did not put it correctly. Tyre pressure should be 49psi, but they "over inflated" above the 49psi by 2 - 3psi. This caused the alarm to trigger as it was set to trigger at 55psi.

Not a big deal, but at least we know the alarm works. This was in the pouring rain and howling wind so did not expect it to raise up by much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts