TyrePal easy to fit & easy to use

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I know from direct personal experience 1960s it was in St Helens, that's these days Greater Manchester I believe.
Car left on four stacks of bricks!
Those were the days, taking the rotor arm with you on parking up, not that on that occasion it was any worthwhile deterrent.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know from direct personal experience 1960s it was in St Helens, that's these days Greater Manchester I believe.
Car left on four stacks of bricks!
Those were the days, taking the rotor arm with you on parking up, not that on that occasion it was any worthwhile deterrent.
Did the same back in the sixties and seventies when visiting South Africa. Today removing rotor on a modern car could be a nightmare. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
One of the first things I did back in those days was fit electronic ignition as they became available.
The early ones, my brother even made me our first electronic ignition unit, retained the rotor arm, and the points, just the latter were preserved by not carrying more than a low triggering current.

Certainly an area where the technology of today is leagues better than in the so called "good old days".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I bet the modern generation of drivers doesn't know what a rotor arm is. They will think it's a gadget that puts your mobile to your ear while driving.
It’s not that surpising since rotor arms and distributors haven’t been fitted to cars for many many years. I bet there are many of our generation that haven’t a clue what a centrifugal governor ( gravitational or non gravitational) is even though they have been around since before Watts time, and they still feature in some quite novel modern applications.

Reactions: borderbilly
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The early ones, my brother even made me our first electronic ignition unit, retained the rotor arm, and the points, just the latter were preserved by not carrying more than a low triggering current.

Certainly an area where the technology of today is leagues better than in the so called "good old days".
I fitted to my 2.25 ltr Land rover, "Lumination " electronic ignition unit, fantastic, the dealer said the Lucas unit would be Too accurate for an old 3 series Landy.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
As I said earlier, I’m all for tech making like easier and safer but I am still proud of the fact that I come from an era of the the old *** paper between the points and a 12v bulb across to set TDC.
What’s an ECU anyway and can you get it on the NHS?

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s not that surpising since rotor arms and distributors haven’t been fitted to cars for many many years. I bet there are many of our generation that haven’t a clue what a centrifugal governor ( gravitational or non gravitational) is even though they have been around since before Watts time, and they still feature in some quite novel modern applications.
In the old days I think what we now know as a an alternator was called a generator? Remember the cubby hole in cars?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"Generator" in context here is something that "generates" electricity, so covers generating DC, frequently though not uniquely called a dynamo, and those generating AC , accurately referred to as "alternators".

And yes, some years back there were DC generators fitted to cars, we had two both generating DC for a 6 volts system.

Another area where advancing technology has yielded us users huge advantages, IMO.

The term "Generator" is correctly used in a lot wider field than just referring to generating electricity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In what way and was I correct in thinking they were fitted on cars? Genuine question as I don't know.
The most significant difference between an Alternator and a Generator is that an Alternator can generate alternating current (AC) electricity only, whereas a Generator can produce AC as well DC electricity depending on the type of the generator

Edit, JTQ beat me to the reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Tyre pal is very good, the only thing I dislike is the fact the wheel sensors don’t wake up say when you turn the screen on only after you have driven a short distance

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tyre pal is very good, the only thing I dislike is the fact the wheel sensors don’t wake up say when you turn the screen on only after you have driven a short distance
Isn’t that normal for such systems as when stationary they go to sleep, and require motion to reawaken them. My car did the same with its manufacturers system when I had picked up a nail. I was about 100m along the road when it alarmed. But on investigation it was obvious that the tyre was partially deflated prior to moving away.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Isn’t that normal for such systems as when stationary they go to sleep, and require motion to reawaken them. My car did the same with its manufacturers system when I had picked up a nail. I was about 100m along the road when it alarmed. But on investigation it was obvious that the tyre was partially deflated prior to moving away.
It is what they do, I was saying it would be good if they woke up when you woke the screen up, you could very easily pull off with fully inflated tyres but within say 1/2 a meter pick a puncture up, but by the time you have driven a 100 yards could have trashed the tyre

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It generally works out quite well for me.

If prior to moving the van up to the car I open and close the car driver's door, that waking the monitor, then the moving of the van up to the hook, wakes up the wheel sensors.

So, directly after hitching up, peek in the driver's door at the monitor, its showing the tyre pressures. Leave looking at it for too long, saying your goodbyes, the lot goes to sleep again.

Our TyrePal is an ageing TB99, using just two of its 5 sensor, on the caravan's wheel.
These were sold for vehicles, not trailers, but I have not explained that to it, and therefore it knows no different, and just works.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
It generally works out quite well for me.

If prior to moving the van up to the car I open and close the car driver's door, that waking the monitor, then the moving of the van up to the hook, wakes up the wheel sensors.

So, directly after hitching up, peek in the driver's door at the monitor, its showing the tyre pressures. Leave looking at it for too long, saying your goodbyes, the lot goes to sleep again.

Our TyrePal is an ageing TB99, using just two of its 5 sensor, on the caravan's wheel.
These were sold for vehicles, not trailers, but I have not explained that to it, and therefore it knows no different, and just works.
Mine aren’t on a caravan but on my van

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Mine aren’t on a caravan but on my van

Why not leave the monitor "on", then closing the van drivers door ought wake that up, then as the vehicle rolls the first few metres the wheel sensors should wake up, and the pressures be displayed.

I don't understand why the monitor is switched off and on, other than if the vehicle is going to be left for weeks unused. The monitor is designed to self activate, not be manually activated.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Why not leave the monitor "on", then closing the van drivers door ought wake that up, then as the vehicle rolls the first few metres the wheel sensors should wake up, and the pressures be displayed.

I don't understand why the monitor is switched off and on, other than if the vehicle is going to be left for weeks unused. The monitor is designed to self activate, not be manually activated.
It’s not always switched on and off, I was purely say it would be good if by doing so that it would wake the sensors up, however as it’s the solar version the monitor does go to sleep then wakes up when it senses movement in the cab, so as I said it would be good if the wheel sensors did wake at the same time as the screen. It definitely takes a lot more than a few meters to wake the sensors, sometime one might not wake for half a mile or more (and not the same sensor but a random one)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts