TYRES AGAIN !

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So you think these are car tyres????
Forget the distinction with car or other tyres. There are few caravan/ trailer specific tyres. I’ve had ones by GTRadial and Kendo but the sidewalls were marked accordingly. Trailer use only.

If your caravan is specified thevtyres currently fitted then that size load and speed rating will be suitable. What you don’t need though are All Seasons, or Uni-directional etc. Just straightforward tyres for a mid range or premium range, or recognised budget depending on your finances.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you , will order a mid range set online 👍👍👍

Interesting that your current DMACK tyres were probably made in China through a deal between DMACK and Cooper Tyres as in 2016 DMACK lost the investment for a UK factory near to Carlisle. You live and learn. That’s one reason I stick to recognised brands. Have no problem with a tyre being made in China providing its by known brand. Our runabout has Yokohama’s but made in China. No issues or concerns whatsoever.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that your current DMACK tyres were probably made in China through a deal between DMACK and Cooper Tyres as in 2016 DMACK lost the investment for a UK factory near to Carlisle. You live and learn. That’s one reason I stick to recognised brands. Have no problem with a tyre being made in China providing its by known brand. Our runabout has Yokohama’s but made in China. No issues or concerns whatsoever.
Which tyres had a number of fails a few years back, people were advised to renew them??

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That will have to be your choice. " C" rated tyres will give you two load ratings one for single use and one for double use, as on the rear axle of a small truck, I don't know if this applies to a twin axle van or not. My advise would be to stick to the original fitted. As I've always done.
The "double wheel" rating doesn't apply to twin axle trailers, so the higher of the two load ratings should be used.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If the OP is clear on the size and load rating of the OEM tyres why not just advise like new ones. Twin axles caravans have been around for years and brining up the issues of plies and sidewall flexibility really only serves to confuse. Plus what are the objective criteria on how to judge plies versus sidewall flexibility. Darned neigh impossible without a trip to MIRA and shed loads of cash.

I must strongly disagree there otherclive for a few reasons.

• There is nothing in the OP Re load rating, suggesting that the OP is/was not clear on this, hence many of the answers. This is further confirmed in post 21
  • Sidewall flexibility is a genuine consideration as there are reports that twin axles can have issues in this respect. As already stated, commercial tyres do differentiate.
  • I see no reason to think that the OP has not sufficient common sense and may be confused.
  • I don’t know what the criteria is, but I would think that manufactures would have some data, hence the recommendation.
  • To simply suggest that the tyres are replaced by the original size is simplistic, and misses some considerations.
  • Also, doing so IMHO, defeats the function a forum can provide, in being informative, sharing of experience etc.
  • It can be educational, I have certainly learn from this thread, and from the link below.

The caravan club provide this info. Some pertinent extracts are:

Heavier duty tyres designed primarily for fitting to light commercial vehicles (ie small trucks and vans) may have a „C‟ suffix immediately after the nominal wheel diameter figure. This type of tyre is quite commonly fitted to caravans – especially larger single axle ones.

2. The original specification of tyre was inadequate. It is very rare for original equipment tyres to have insufficient load carrying capacity to cope with the maximum weight of the caravan. However, it is more common that manufacturers specify a tyre which is only just capable of such a load, and owners may wish to increase the safety margin when choosing replacements.

7. Do not choose a commercial grade („C‟ suffix) tyre unless the load and speed requirements demand it, and a ”car type‟ tyre is not available which can satisfy these.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

• There is nothing in the OP Re load rating, suggesting that the OP is/was not clear on this, hence many of the answers. This is further confirmed in post 21
  • Sidewall flexibility is a genuine consideration as there are reports that twin axles can have issues in this respect. As already stated, commercial tyres do differentiate.
  • I see no reason to think that the OP has not sufficient common sense and may be confused.
  • I don’t know what the criteria is, but I would think that manufactures would have some data, hence the recommendation.
  • To simply suggest that the tyres are replaced by the original size is simplistic, and misses some considerations.
  • Also, doing so IMHO, defeats the function a forum can provide, in being informative, sharing of experience etc.
  • It can be educational, I have certainly learn from this thread, and from the link below.

Heavier duty tyres designed primarily for fitting to light commercial vehicles (ie small trucks and vans) may have a „C‟ suffix immediately after the nominal wheel diameter figure. This type of tyre is quite commonly fitted to caravans – especially larger single axle ones.

2. The original specification of tyre was inadequate. It is very rare for original equipment tyres to have insufficient load carrying capacity to cope with the maximum weight of the caravan. However, it is more common that manufacturers specify a tyre which is only just capable of such a load, and owners may wish to increase the safety margin when choosing replacements.

7. Do not choose a commercial grade („C‟ suffix) tyre unless the load and speed requirements demand it, and a ”car type‟ tyre is not available which can satisfy these.

John

Yes but the OP has looked at the caravan makers label which coincides with the tyre fitted to his caravan. So why add unnecessary complications? Can you get C rated tyres in 70% aspect ratio? A forum isn’t informative if it adds uncertainty without objective reasons to counter that uncertainty. I have not suggested C rating tyres. I only served to respond when someone incorrectly mentioned that C was a speed rating. It is but for very slow speed vehicles. Fir caravans C is normally used in the discussion on C type light truck tyres.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Thank you guys, didn't realise this tyre issue is such a minefield , even the tyre dealers are all different opinions.

Regarding all information received i will be ordering 5 tyres mid range same spec or above.

Cheers again for all information.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you guys, didn't realise this tyre issue is such a minefield , even the tyre dealers are all different opinions.

Regarding all information received i will be ordering 5 tyres mid range same spec or above.

Cheers again for all information.
Glad you are sorted now. Can’t remember if anyone has said to have the wheels balanced. But it is recommended, if only to keep your wardrobes attached to the walls. 😱

Reactions: Clifford_374377114
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes but the OP has looked at the caravan makers label which coincides with the tyre fitted to his caravan. So why add unnecessary complications? Can you get C rated tyres in 70% aspect ratio? A forum isn’t informative if it adds uncertainty without objective reasons to counter that uncertainty. I have not suggested C rating tyres. I only served to respond when someone incorrectly mentioned that C was a speed rating. It is but for very slow speed vehicles. Fir caravans C is normally used in the discussion on C type light truck tyres.

I think you have my posts confused. I did not bring up the ‘C’ rated aspect. And your suggestion that I may have added uncertainty and unsupported uncertainty at that is quite ridiculous. My posts have provided links to professional advice to support my suggestions. And for the point I made Re the twisting aspect, I was careful to add that advice should be sought from a manufacturer.

Please read read and understand the content before posting.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Defo good call, for the sake of a few quid i would not even consider skipping getting them balanced .👍

Tyre fitters have a habit of including disposal, fitting, valve and balance in their quoted price but then trying to save money by "advising" that caravan tyres don't need balancing - insist that they do, you're already paying for it and the "advice" is plainly wrong.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just checked and the load rating for our 175/65 R14 tyres is 90 or 600kg a tyre. MTPLM of caravan is 2000kg so a nice safety rating.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

John
I'm sorry but your posting has conflicting advice.

The caravan Manufacturers would be selling unroadworthy caravans if they fitted tyres with a lower load rating than the caravans axle rating. Consequently their specification for the tyre should be more than adequate for sourcing replacements.

The load rating of tyres is specified as the static load, and as we all know the effects of motion dynamics can significantly create forces that load tyres well beyond their static ratings, so there should be no problem using the OEM specification.

The CMHC implies there is no need to fit tyres with a greater load index, but there is no harm in doing so - all it really does is to give the owner a greater sense security.

Owners should not overload their caravans, so there is no need to research new sizes or types of tyre provided the OEM specification is still available.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You would have to assume the caravan makers did research the tyres best suited to your caravan. On that basis the sensible answer is replace like for like on the rating. All the makers use C rated tyres for a reason so go with it.
If you try to economise with a different rating and things go wrong, your insurer might not be happy at paying your claim if they deem the ones used unsuitable.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You would have to assume the caravan makers did research the tyres best suited to your caravan. On that basis the sensible answer is replace like for like on the rating. All the makers use C rated tyres for a reason so go with it.
If you try to economise with a different rating and things go wrong, your insurer might not be happy at paying your claim if they deem the ones used unsuitable.
Sorry Ray but the tyres specified for the OPs caravan are not C rated. Whilst it is true that many single axles have C rated tyres, can you even get C rated for a 70% aspect ratio tyre as C rated are normally 80% aspect ratio. The OPs caravan is a twin axle unit not single axle.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
"C" rated is an outdated rating - Load Rating has been the rating method for many years, it covers most types of tyres including cars and commercial vehicles - there's no such thing as "car tyres".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts