Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I am considering fitting Tyron Bands to my caravan,but I have been told that it is much better to use Ultraseal in the tyres instead. Has anyone had any experience with Ultraseal,or can give any advice? Would seem to be a much cheaper alternative.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Charles

i know nothing of Ultraseal other than it plugs a puncture. Does it stop a tyre coming off at speed???

Tyron bands say they will stop a tyre coming of the rim at speed.

Do they work? Who knows?

Does a match light every time it's struck?? ( well 1st time)

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Frankly, I don't think Tyron bands are worth having. Chances are that if you have a blowout, the tyres will be torn to shreads anyway before you come to a stop and then it's immaterial whether the little of what's left of the tyre is still held on the wheel by the Tyron bands or not. At least that's my experience of a blowout earlier this year. By the time I came to a stop the wheel was also damaged beyond repair.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Tyron bands are designed to work by stopping the tyre bead dropping into the well - in slow deflations the safety ledges in the wheel rim will do the same job - in fast deflations, the sidewall will be destroyed, detaching the tread from the bead in which case retaining the bead is of no benefit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to give a more positive reply

I have them fitted to both alloys and the spare

They didn't help when the wheel came off and disappeared into the canal recently but they could help in a puncture situation as advertised

The dealer fitted them as part of the trade in package and I am glad to have the perceived extra security

We are off today with the van after 5 weeks in for repair so hopefully the Tyrons will be unseen and uncalled for but there

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Tyron Bands are different to Ultraseal as they are not designed to prevent punctures, they are just to try to ensure than the tyre stays on the rim in the event of a blowout.

The fact that the police use them is good enough for me. The video on their website is pretty good as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to give a more positive reply

I have them fitted to both alloys and the spare

They didn't help when the wheel came off and disappeared into the canal recently but they could help in a puncture situation as advertised

The dealer fitted them as part of the trade in package and I am glad to have the perceived extra security

We are off today with the van after 5 weeks in for repair so hopefully the Tyrons will be unseen and uncalled for but there
http://www.tyron.com/pages/testing_general.htm#

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Having suffered a blowout recently, I am not convinced by Tyron's sales promotion. Who is to say that the vehicles would have reacted any differently if Tyron bands were not fitted? Besides, how a wheel can remain undamaged following a blowout, as Tyron claim, is beyond me.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Tyron bands can do no more than keep the tyre bead on the rim. When I had my blowout, the tyre bead stayed on the rim even without Tyron bands, but the tyre was otherwise torn to shreads. By the time the caravan came to a stop it was running on the wheel rim which was, of course, damaged by then. Tyron bands can't prevent the tyre from disintegrating with just the remains staying on the rim, which is what I experienced.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
You only need to look on the motorway verges and see the number of tread hoops - a complete circle of tread and bits of side-wall - to realise that keeping the tyre bead on the rim isn't the end of this issue.

And indeed as Lutz reported after his blowout, a modern wheel (probably alloy) shouldn't have a problem with bead retention

Checking the tyre for defects and setting the pressure before travelling is a good line of defence...

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We had a sidewall blowout which whilst the tyre remained on the wheel the alloy rim got damaged plus the wheel was put out of shape. I wonder whether the person on TV last week who had a blowout and it turned his car over had them ?.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dear All, I had a blowout on the caravan on the M4 last summer.Probably doing 60+mph at the time, heard and felt the blowout but was able to slowly pull onto hard shoulder in safety without osing any sense of control. Tyre still on rim, obviously ruined but van otherwise unharmed. Spare fitted, new tyre put on wheel following day - live to tell the tell. Who know's might have worked out the same without Tyrons, but for

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I still think that the claims made for Tyron bands on their website don't stand up to scrutiny. None of the results that they present indicate what improvement, if any, was achieved by fitting them. What is missing are comparative tests showing how the same vehicles handled under the same conditions without Tyron bands.

I seem to remember that they used to include short video sequences of some of their tests on their website. If so, they have been removed (perhaps for good reason?).

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Lutz , i normaly agree with you but on this occasion you are totally wrong. the police fire and ambulance authoruty all use tyrons in this country as they have been proven to aid vehicle control in the event of a blowout.

My experiance of them is when my dad had a puncture on the van on the m6 motorway, he says he had no idea that the tyre had gone down untill he pulled on the services and a lorry driver told him he had followed him for 10 miles trying to get his attention to the fact the tyre had gone down, the tyre was completely destroyed but it had stayed on the rim and no damage to the van was caused and complete control was maintained.

when dad told me what had happened i had tyrons fitted immediately, much better safe than sorry. i am often very synical myself about claims by companies but in the case of tyron i think the experiance of the emergency services and my personal experiance with my dad speaks volumes.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Over the years, I have suffered two blowouts, one recently with the caravan and the other several years ago with the car while overtaking a lorry at about 90mph on the motorway. In both cases the caravan and car, respectively, remained fully under control even though the tyres were completely destroyed. I therefore cannot see how Tyron bands could have helped.

Many emergency services use the Tyron run-flat system which is a completely different kettle of fish but the tyre bands are, to my mind, a waste of money and one would be better off investing the same sum in a set of decent run-flat tyres.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
But hasn't it allready been agreed that run flat tyres are not suitable for vehicles that tow due to the extra weight and forces applied ?, i thought michelin and some of the other manufacturers had adviced stopping and changing the tyre as soon as it went flat when towing !.

But out of curiosity i got a quote for tyres for my car off the web this morning, for one 225 17 r60 i was quoted

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Vehicles can be loaded to their max. GVW and no more when towing, so the fact that they are towing is irrelevant. Maybe run-flat tyres are more expensive than Tyron bands, but at least their advantages over 'regular' tyres have been proved by the tyre makers.

Tyron, on the other hand, have, to my knowledge, not produced any data that their product is actually better than without bands fitted. They only say how good they are, but not how much worse off one would be without them, if at all, under the same conditions. That, to my mind, is trying to cash in on people's legimate desire for safety, but without providing the proof.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Luckily my last puncture on the move was back in 1988. We came to a safe halt without any problem.

I am not convinced I will be better off with Tyrons than without. As others have said if the tyre shreds what is the point of keeping the bead on the rim??

I am all for safety things eg ATC shock absorbers etc but with correctly maintained tyres I just do not see the justification in spending so much money on something that , on the face of it can be hit or miss.

Cheers

Alan

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Thats the point of tyrons Allan, the tyre retains its shape by having the bead kept firmly against the rim which in turn stops the majority of tyres deforming to such a state that they disintigrate, the tyre allthough flat remains flat and square to the road surface so you retain full control of the vehicle, without tyrons the tyre can very easily deform and run off the rim which is where you get your shredding and lose of control due to running on the steel or alloy rim.

Obviousley a small minority cant see the benefit of keeping the tyre on the rim so no amount of research will suffice but i personally would much rather my tyre stay where it belongs rather than in the cubboard inside the van or worse the van on its roof, and lets face it we are having a debate about a safety item thats only

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Icemaker.

If they were that good I wonder why they are not fitted by the caravan manufacturers as standard?

I am having shock absorbers fited to my Wyoming, only because more and more manufacturers are fitting them as standard and they seem to have a logical purpose. I now have ATC and haven't a clue if it works. I've never had it before and never had a "snake" before. Do I need it? I don't know but on balance it must be good, I think.

So why haven't Tyrons become a standard fit?

Back to the original post , is Ultraseal going to be of any use if I have a blow out?

Cheers

Alan

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Alan

Ultraseal may stop a blowout happening as it is (usually) the slow release of air causes a gradual decrease in the pressure and a build up in temperature, eventually causing the tyre to fail. If the tyre never deflates then you will not get that type of blowout.

However once you have a blowout the Ultraseal will be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Caravan manufacurers do not even fit a battry as standard, but you can hardly say one of them is not necessary!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Allan, probably for the same reason most vans come without alarms, atc, shock absorbers, electronic braking, tracking devices, hitch locks, wheel clamps,locking steady's, high security door locks and numerous other items, its all down to money and the simple case of not many people are happy to pay for some thing they can not see, the manufacturers would much rather let people buy the basic product then apply theire own modifications.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If Tyron bands were really the best thing since sliced bread, then you can be sure that car manufacturers, if not the caravan makers, would jump on the opportunity to cash in on expected profits by offering them at least as a factory-fitted optional extra. None do, but run-flat tyres are starting to appear in their price lists (BMW, for example).

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Lutz

The ride is a killer with tyron bands (even worse than BMWs with run flats). Your kitchen cupboards in a caravan don't mide a poor ride as much as your passengers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts