UK Caravan Registrsation in France?

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have just found this Forum, it seems a helpful place to be. I have just purchased a 2011 Swift Caravan and I live in France so need to get it registered over here.
I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction (possibly PaulT). I have all the swift paperwork C of C and a Certificate of Compliance, so where do I take it all, the Prefecture or the DRIRE.
I have been caravanning for a few years in the UK and visiting France and decided to upgrade to a newer caravan on looking the continental options we were not very impressive hence getting and trying to import a UK van.
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/new-members-say-hello/49814-hello-everyone#d4mwezOmSU7PuKT1.99

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks yes I have seen that info, its very confusing and conflicting re Caravans/ motor homes being 6 months or older etc. I will have to get a friend to ring up the Prefecture as my French isn't good on the Telephone. It should be a straight forward process as per registering cars but then nothing is as simple as it should be in France they have to find a reason to employ all their civil servants.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi FrenchChuffed,

I've sent an email but though I'd put this on for the benefit of others.

I’ll try and help as much as I can but, this is France and the requirements can differ from prefecture to prefecture.

Firstly, as you are no doubt aware, in spite of what some people say, the power points, gas installation and door opening are perfectly acceptable in France despite them being UK spec. When I moved out here the advice I received was sell the UK 'van and buy a French one - absolute rubbish!!

Next, the UK certificate of conformity that you have is likely to be useless even though you’ve had it translated. The only ones that are acceptable are the modern ones that have a CNIT number on them. My caravans have always been Baileys and it is only relatively recently that Baileys have got their ‘vans European type approved. Swift may well be different and I would suggest you email then and ask them if your ‘van has a CNIT number. If it has, then you’re home and dry – just take the documents to the prefecture, as you would a car, pay the fee and away you go!

If it hasn’t got the CNIT number then you’re in for a long haul but you will succeed! As you know, the French love their “dossiers” – the dossier for my previous Bailey Indiana was 132 pages long! You need to get chassis drawings from the chassis manufacturer (in my case AL-KO) and in order to provide these they may ask for the axle number which is on a plate under the axle (about the most difficult part to get to!). AL-KO themselves supplied a form called “Directive 71/330/CEE” which contains all the information needed. AL-KO also supplied an attestation (in French) to confirm that the chassis can be towed at a speed of 140kph or less. The caravan manufacturer will have to provide drawings for the ‘van itself and the hitch supplier (again, in my case, AL-KO) should also provide the drawings and specification. You’ll also need the electrical and gas certificates which I guess you’ve already got (but they do need to be in French). The manufacturers might charge for the documents.

Then you need a form from DREAL (which used to be DRIRE). This used to be numbered RT102.4 but may well have changed. It covers all vehicles, not just caravans, so you’ll have to work out which parts concern caravans. You’ll also need to take photos of the ‘van from all four sides.

Once you’ve got all the documents make them up into a tidy dossier with the DREAL form first to be seen then all the certificates, photos and attestations followed by the rest of the documents. In all probability they won’t look at most of it! Then make an appointment at the DREAL for an inspection. Before you go make sure that everything works and ensure that the fog and reversing lights are swapped over (unless of course you have 2 of each). The DREAL inspector must be able to see the chassis number and ensure that it also appears on the ‘van windows and the weight plate. It will probably fail the inspection – mainly because they don’t like passing vehicles first time. In my experience the inspector is very helpful and all you have to do is follow his instructions, be polite (bite your tongue) and all will eventually be ok.

Once it’s passed. the inspector will retain a copy of the dossier (so make sure you keep a copy) and forward this to the prefecture. He’ll give you a certificate which you take to the prefecture and you’ll get your carte grise together with a warm feeling that you’ve beaten the French bureaucracy!

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi PaulT, thanks for the comprehensive response. I do Have a CNIT number for the caravan, apparently all Swift vans do from something like 2007. I was aware of the door side not being a problem but best to dispel all the myths.
I have a vague recollection that we had to have the invoice verified by the tax office when we did the cars, am I just dreaming or will they just accept the invoice at the prefecture as proof of vat paid. I know they are very tetchy at not getting their tva. So looking forward to caravanning again.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Well done, if you've got the CNIT number you're home and dry! No need to go to the tax office, just go to the prefecture with proof of ownership, proof of identity and residence and, of course, a cheque! You'll need to fill in the "demande pour une certificat d'imatriculation" which is the same form you would have filled in to register a car.

Good luck with caravanning in France, so much easier than the UK except for the lack of campsites open all year round. If you're heading South on the A20 let us know before hand and you could pop in and see us!

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well thanks for your help. ditto if your ever in the southern Brittany area, we have plenty of space for the odd caravan (for friends only we are not a CL )

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
YES! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Went to the prefecture this morning half expecting it to be closed as it is August. Did the cheese counter thing with a ticket and waited an hour and a quarter. Saw a very nice lady who spoke some English, checked paperwork. Told to go to pay waited an hour and a half. Got called paid money and walked out with a “Certificate Provisire d’Imatriculation” (Registration document) the real one to arrive in three days.
I now have a British caravan I can legally tow with a French registered Car.

Thanks PaulT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts