UK Shutdown.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Right amid all this doom & Gloom here are few Positives

1) Boris has given us all the chance to live to see the end of the DFS sale.
2) Clocks go forward on Saturday night/Sunday morning=1 hour less self isolating.
3) Diesel is dropping dramatically in price (even if we can't go anywhere)
4) Burgulars are really going to struggle to find empty houses
5) Emmerdale, Coronation St & Eastenders are stopping production.

Think positive-glass half full!

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Right amid all this doom & Gloom here are few Positives

1) Boris has given us all the chance to live to see the end of the DFS sale.
2) Clocks go forward on Saturday night/Sunday morning=1 hour less self isolating.
3) Diesel is dropping dramatically in price (even if we can't go anywhere)
4) Burgulars are really going to struggle to find empty houses
5) Emmerdale, Coronation St & Eastenders are stopping production.

Think positive-glass half full!
I like Emmerdale will miss it

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
......I recently MOT'D my towcar but our smaller Ford everyday transport has one due.
I am hoping the government will allow the need to have a current certificate to lapse with a lifting of the requirement for 3 months.
They have done this already for vehicles that are tested at the DVSA testing centres.....trucks and buses etc.
Don't fancy having one done at my normal garage .......will have to get the car collected by a garage that offers this service if the government does not act.
Our garage that looks after both our lorries and vans rang today as one lorry is due its inspection tomorrow, this is not taking place and will be done when we return to work.
Normal cars and vans must still have a current MOT and as garages are now classed as essential, they have not relaxed the rules I'm afraid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our garage that looks after both our lorries and vans rang today as one lorry is due its inspection tomorrow, this is not taking place and will be done when we return to work.
Normal cars and vans must still have a current MOT and as garages are now classed as essential, they have not relaxed the rules I'm afraid.
Wonder what car dealers will do if customers want service to keep the warranty valid. Our Kia dealer was staying open but today notified a three week closure. Not everyone wants to use another garage when a car is under makers warranty. Could be open to conjecture in the event of a claim.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
The DVSA is going to have to issue exemption certificates for lapsing car MOT's in the same way it already has done for HGV's and busses.

They are currently giving conflicting advice to car owners; on the one hand..........

"Taking your car for an MOT is not essential travel you should not be leaving your house"

on the other..........

"We are currently not changing the rules regarding the need to have a current MOT certificate"

IMO........they need to sort themselves out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The DVSA is going to have to issue exemption certificates for lapsing car MOT's in the same way it already has done for HGV's and busses.

They are currently giving conflicting advice to car owners; on the one hand..........

"Taking your car for an MOT is not essential travel you should not be leaving your house"

on the other..........

"We are currently not changing the rules regarding the need to have a current MOT certificate"

IMO........they need to sort themselves out.
Especially since not so long ago DVSA were wanting to change to MoT every two years !! Not something that I would support.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I received an e mail from Mazda today indicating that their garages will remain open for the time being for servicing and essential work, which I took to include MOT's. If you need one I would ring round and see what the garages say.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Never mind MOTs, how am I going to get a haircut :unsure:. In 12 weeks I am going to look like an aged old English sheepdog that has been dragged through a hedge.
I do have some dog clippers. Desperate times may call for desperate measures!
mel

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Never mind MOTs, how am I going to get a haircut :unsure:. In 12 weeks I am going to look like an aged old English sheepdog that has been dragged through a hedge.
mel
You can get yourself a cheap hair clipper from. Argos. £10.00

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Wonder what car dealers will do if customers want service to keep the warranty valid. Our Kia dealer was staying open but today notified a three week closure. Not everyone wants to use another garage when a car is under makers warranty. Could be open to conjecture in the event of a claim.

I am faced with that exact situation. Our Morris Minor (Sorry LR Discovery!) is due for service mid-April, and is still under warranty. I contacted JLR and now have it in writing that they’re giving two months grace at the moment. I suppose as things unfold there might be more developments. As my preferred Dealer is quite a way from here (c.50 miles) because the local ones are worse than useless, I feel that I can’t justify taking the car in for service, especially as we don’t really need it at the moment, so the journey is not exactly “essential”.

I might have to review as time goes on, but at least it’s not imperative to get it done in the next few weeks.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
mel
It's only three weeks before we find out you real hair colour. 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-23-13-13-10.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-23-13-13-10.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am faced with that exact situation. Our Morris Minor (Sorry LR Discovery!) is due for service mid-April, and is still under warranty. I contacted JLR and now have it in writing that they’re giving two months grace at the moment. I suppose as things unfold there might be more developments. As my preferred Dealer is quite a way from here (c.50 miles) because the local ones are worse than useless, I feel that I can’t justify taking the car in for service, especially as we don’t really need it at the moment, so the journey is not exactly “essential”.

I might have to review as time goes on, but at least it’s not imperative to get it done in the next few weeks.
Kia are taking a similar approach which is good as with another 5 years and/or 70k I’m keen to keep the runabout under warranty. 👍 Although Kia do have an excellent reputation for upholding warranty problems of which they seem few and far between. They even sorted out Gen1 Sorento and Sportage underbody issues well after warranty had passed..

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Kia are taking a similar approach which is good as with another 5 years and/or 70k I’m keen to keep the runabout under warranty. 👍 Although Kia do have an excellent reputation for upholding warranty problems of which they seem few and far between. They even sorted out Gen1 Sorento and Sportage underbody issues well after warranty had passed..

In these uncertain times, whatever their reputations, it’s still good to know what manufacturers are doing, and to have it in writing to hopefully prevent any “wriggle room” at a later date.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
mel

I went to the local Turkish last week all high level hair sources dealt with and flamed as required. Next option if we are still restricted in 8-10 weeks is the Wahl Professional kit. Asssuming the dogs give their permission. 😀

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I'm offering my services with my Wahl clippers... I did my beard and (ahem) other facial hair yesterday... one eyebrow will not be the same again... so you can guess my capabilities :unsure:

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts