UK Shutdown.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PM Statement today:

Brits who leave their homes without a valid reason could be fined, Boris Johnson announced tonight as drastic new measures were introduced to fight the spread of coronavirus.

The Prime Minister, addressing the public from Downing Street, said police will have the power to enforce the rules as unprecedented measures were introduced.

He announced that people can now only leave their homes to shop for necessities, exercise once a day, medical needs, or travelling to and from work - but only if it's essential.

Those who do not obey face being fined, he said.

He said: "That’s all - these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some bad news. I have seen an announcement from BQ saying that DIY are included in the list of essential retailers. Bang goes my excuse for no more decorating. Perhaps paint will not be defined as an essential purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can always buy online from BQ
Their Click and Collect always seems to be very inefficient as it’s alongside Customer Service and never sufficient staff. The delivery charges are far too high. Anyway Ive got plenty of things to be getting on with and if the weather turns sour I plan to dig out all of my fathers and mine 35 mm slides together with 1972 Boots projector ( new bulbs bought recently) and my wife and I will have some slide show evenings. Then there is also Ancestry and writing our memoires to pass down the chain.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I recently MOT'D my towcar but our smaller Ford everyday transport has one due.
I am hoping the government will allow the need to have a current certificate to lapse with a lifting of the requirement for 3 months.
They have done this already for vehicles that are tested at the DVSA testing centres.....trucks and buses etc.
Don't fancy having one done at my normal garage .......will have to get the car collected by a garage that offers this service if the government does not act.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
......I recently MOT'D my towcar but our smaller Ford everyday transport has one due.
I am hoping the government will allow the need to have a current certificate to lapse with a lifting of the requirement for 3 months.
They have done this already for vehicles that are tested at the DVSA testing centres.....trucks and buses etc.
Don't fancy having one done at my normal garage .......will have to get the car collected by a garage that offers this service if the government does not act.
They lifted the requirements a while back when the Northern Ireland MOT centres were closed. Our local Kia dealer is collecting and delivering FOC within a 10 mile radius. My wife’s car was done last Friday.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Taken the advice Boris gave and went for another bike ride this morning a steady twelve miles, saturday will be a ride up to Belvoir castle, anybody want to ride tandem

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Re the statement Boris made about over 70’s & vulnerable people with various health issues being isolated at home for 12 weeks, has anyone yet had the letter he mentioned and has anyone who expects one not had it yet

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a text the day after the announcement saying I was in the underlying health group and needed to stay at home, my wife’s health is far worse but nothing as yet.
this is not the one everyone seems to get from uk gov with just general info on corona

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Re the statement Boris made about over 70’s & vulnerable people with various health issues being isolated at home for 12 weeks, has anyone yet had the letter he mentioned and has anyone who expects one not had it yet
Don't want one of those Dear Johns,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My brother in law and brother have both received the text sent to vulnerable people. No letter yet. But neither have any access to internet or phone broadband 4 g etc. They are what I would call “ dyed in the wool “ technophobes and quite honestly despite my best endeavours have been unable to even master retrieving voicemail or sending texts. My wife and I spend long periods talking to them and trying to act on their behalf. Hopefully the local authorities where they live will make contact.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
When Boris referred to a letter I’m not sure if he meant a snail mail letter or I think there was a reference to texts, I’ve had texts but nothing physical by post, I’m at home now for 12 weeks which if it keeps me alive long enough to see the end of corona I’m happy to go along, my other half has acute asthma and this requires a physical injection every month in Leicester, she still awaits any contact, mind you Boris did say the 1.5 million people should hear by the 29th so no panic.

BP

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Today when I was going to the supermarket I noticed a twin axle being towed by a range rover, on my way home I saw another twin axle being towed by a maroon range rover,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Today when I was going to the supermarket I noticed a twin axle being towed by a range rover, on my way home I saw another twin axle being towed by a maroon range rover,
Range Rover Owners Caravan Club returning from a rally perhaps.
I’ve seen several caravans and motorhomes around but as far as I’m aware they aren’t banned. (Yet). Perhaps just coming back from Spain and en route home to storage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts