Unable to winter prep our caravan in storage - advice

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Where we use to live before a neighbour a few doors from us had 12 cats they use to patrol all of the street and the gardens . it kept it mice free .

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
I wanted to update this thread in the hope that anyone else experiencing the same issue may be reassured or not! After all each situation and caravan can vary!

As the travel restrictions were reduced we got to visit our caravan which is stored on-site in a secure barn-type building. We had not been able to visit since September and as previously mentioned we could not winter prep it. So the bed was still made up and all cupboards and lockers closed. As mentioned in the thread we were concerned that when we visited we would find a mould infested caravan and a fridge that although on the travel lock may have closed when the wardens took it off pitch and back into storage (its happened before when the bumpy road closed the fridge door!)

I'm pleased to report that overall the caravan was fine. In anticipation, we must have purchased every cleaning product known to man/woman and used only a small proportion of it. The fridge had stayed on its travel lock and was mould free as was the freezer section that the door was closed on. Most of the main cupboards were fine too as by chance when we left the van most floor vents were uncovered. The only cupboard with any evidence of mould was where we keep the pans under the cooker and we noticed a small amount of mould on the bottom of that cupboard where the pans had moved and covered the vent. Easily cleaned and in future, we will put the pans elsewhere.

I hope that anyone else in a similar situation is reassured. We were very anxious leaving the caravan for so long as to what we might find. I'm sure storing indoors helped a lot and the vents free to allow air to circulate. In the past, I spent a lot on moisture traps and the caravan overall was fine without. Others may experience a different outcome but overall all good here!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
All good for us but we only drain down and leave the fridge doors open. But our cupboard doors when opened now won't close past the soft close buffer. Just hope it all works when we go away.

Reactions: AnastieByte
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to update this thread in the hope that anyone else experiencing the same issue may be reassured or not! After all each situation and caravan can vary!

As the travel restrictions were reduced we got to visit our caravan which is stored on-site in a secure barn-type building. We had not been able to visit since September and as previously mentioned we could not winter prep it. So the bed was still made up and all cupboards and lockers closed. As mentioned in the thread we were concerned that when we visited we would find a mould infested caravan and a fridge that although on the travel lock may have closed when the wardens took it off pitch and back into storage (its happened before when the bumpy road closed the fridge door!)

I'm pleased to report that overall the caravan was fine. In anticipation, we must have purchased every cleaning product known to man/woman and used only a small proportion of it. The fridge had stayed on its travel lock and was mould free as was the freezer section that the door was closed on. Most of the main cupboards were fine too as by chance when we left the van most floor vents were uncovered. The only cupboard with any evidence of mould was where we keep the pans under the cooker and we noticed a small amount of mould on the bottom of that cupboard where the pans had moved and covered the vent. Easily cleaned and in future, we will put the pans elsewhere.

I hope that anyone else in a similar situation is reassured. We were very anxious leaving the caravan for so long as to what we might find. I'm sure storing indoors helped a lot and the vents free to allow air to circulate. In the past, I spent a lot on moisture traps and the caravan overall was fine without. Others may experience a different outcome but overall all good here!
Glad it’s all looking good with no issues.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

I glad it all coming together and for keeping this forum updated .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear that all is well. probably the battery was the one thing that might have suffered but as you had nothing running there was always a fair chance it would come through.
Given the time it has been stood I would have looked at the tyres as standing that long might have caused flat spots or even cracks. I would check this next time you are there. Not sure what you can do to move it but I had ours out and turned it round just to help the tyres last time I visited it. We are lucky in that ours is stored 2 miles away, so we can get to the storage.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just think of all those caravan dealers, moving their unsold caravans around their compounds every week just to turn the tyres, In your dreams.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts