Unable to winter prep our caravan in storage - advice

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Where we store ours a couple picked up a brand new van and there storage pitch was next to the only barn on the storage site, they parked it up and returned the next day with one of thems parents to show them there new toy! The mice went in first night and made a nest in one of there cushions! They were l
Did the mice do anymore damage besides the cushions to there new toy i would see if the cushions could be repaired under warranty ..

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Did the mice do anymore damage besides the cushions to there new toy i would see if the cushions could be repaired under warranty ..

It happened to me once in storage. A Bailey Arizona. They got into the gas cupboard, I think by climbing up a steady then along a wire to the gas drop. But then they found their way up the cavity between the front two skins. Then they made a hole just above the shelf over the front window. They did some damage to the tops of curtains and found their way down into the front locker and built a nest.

I was able to fully clean and tidy up and make minor repairs. Tried my insurance but they do have a rodent clause so no chance there.

But your suggestion about warranty might be (I don’t know), possible if it can be shown that poor design or construction allowed the entry.

They can be stopped by blocking their little holes up with polyfilla. But first you need to catch them!!!

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It happened to me once in storage. A Bailey Arizona. They got into the gas cupboard, I think by climbing up a steady then along a wire to the gas drop. But then they found their way up the cavity between the front two skins. Then they made a hole just above the shelf over the front window. They did some damage to the tops of curtains and found their way down into the front locker and built a nest.

I was able to fully clean and tidy up and make minor repairs. Tried my insurance but they do have a rodent clause so no chance there.

But your suggestion about warranty might be (I don’t know), possible if it can be shown that poor design or construction allowed the entry.

They can be stopped by blocking their little holes up with polyfilla. But first you need to catch them!!!

John
Hi John they tried when we had the Twin Axle we had to put mesh down all of the front box . and all air vents just stop them they can do a lot damage

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We currently have the little devils active in the loft where some of the never used caravan upholstery and carpets are stored. I was up their today and spotted the evidence which wasn’t there a few days back. My wife said that she thought that last night she had heard some scrabbling over the area of boards which are a prove our bed. So I couldn’t have been snoring at the time. So tomorrow it’s buy some tasty “ snacks” for them as early Christmas treats.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We currently have the little devils active in the loft where some of the never used caravan upholstery and carpets are stored. I was up their today and spotted the evidence which wasn’t there a few days back. My wife said that she thought that last night she had heard some scrabbling over the area of boards which are a prove our bed. So I couldn’t have been snoring at the time. So tomorrow it’s buy some tasty “ snacks” for them as early Christmas treats.
Hi Clive i hope you get them with the Xmas treats good luck

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
They get everywhere Clive, I keep trapping them in my garage.
Had squirrels in the loft a few years back and had some rats on my bird feeders last week (luckily my other hobby is shooting so the rats were sorted easily enough)

Kev

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Many years ago we thought we had mice in the loft by the noise. Turned out to be birds nesting. We let them finish and fledge before patching the hole in the barge board.

Previous house though we did have mice there. They devoured Christmas selection boxes we had hidden there from the kids. Took a while to work out how they got there. We had an air brick for the suspended floor. One of the holes had been expanded to let the heating drain off through. They got past an unbelievably small hole by the pipe. Then up a pipe duct for two floors and into the loft.

John

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
My only concern with mice is that they could cause damage to my old classic car in the garage hence setting all the traps.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many years ago we thought we had mice in the loft by the noise. Turned out to be birds nesting. We let them finish and fledge before patching the hole in the barge board.

Previous house though we did have mice there. They devoured Christmas selection boxes we had hidden there from the kids. Took a while to work out how they got there. We had an air brick for the suspended floor. One of the holes had been expanded to let the heating drain off through. They got past an unbelievably small hole by the pipe. Then up a pipe duct for two floors and into the loft.

John
I know it’s mice by the droppings left on some of the loft boards and adjacent insulation. The Screwfix electronic mouse killer gets some good press. Might give one a try given that mice can damage cabling. The mice that come indoors can enter a gap of around 12mm. So pretty small gaps.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think traps are better than poison as with the latter you don’t know where they may die. And those tiny things stink like hell when rotting.

John

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
They are amazing creatures really. I have a brilliant humane trap bought off amazon and peanut butter really works. Just caught two in the garage and dropped them off alive and well in a field. They'll survive or provide much needed food for birds of,prey etc.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
i am not to bother about mice but if they tried to get into the bungalow that would be a different story

This family were right outside the patio doors and nipping in and out from under the conservatory. I feel sure they even put two toes up on the way past. They would easily have been in if we had left the doors open and it was nice weather.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had rats in our garden. If I thought they would stay there, I would have left them alone but they were brazen and running up and down the garden wall in broad daylight. Decided it was only a matter of time before they came in the house so put down poison( safely). Felt bad about it though. 🙁
mel

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We were checking the soil and lawn in our garden we found tunnels we new we had moles when they had finally gone we put daffodils, marigolds and alliums around the border of the lawn and now we have manage to deter , so far

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
i have many cats around where I live, I don’t have a cat myself but more than happy they transit and patrol my garden , I back onto a large woods and have all sorts of beast at my fence , the cats do a good job

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They are amazing creatures really. I have a brilliant humane trap bought off amazon and peanut butter really works. Just caught two in the garage and dropped them off alive and well in a field. They'll survive or provide much needed food for birds of,prey etc.
They will return, The family are still there, whats the gestestion time 4 weeks. . Good ratter like my dog would be good but he prefers to round up sheep, so cannot let him off the lead near sheep or cows.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Cats use our garden as a toilet regularly. Friends absolutely love them and took one in a couple of years ago. They love it. Yet just today it but her, drew blood. They are thinking about antibiotics. Cats! Sorry, not for me.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts