Underactive thyroid in dogs - anyone?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has or has had a dog with an underactive thyroid. An account of your experiences would be very useful to me.

I would prefer it if the replies (if any) came from pet dog owners, not people connvected to canines professionally.

Many thanks.

Lisa

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa, yes I had a Great Dane with an underactive thyroid.
It was only because I persevered with the vet that a test was done to determine the thyroid activity, and it came back as at the lower end of what is regarded as "normal".
She was put on 16mg daily by two 8mg tablets (which at that dosage are only vet available), but they ran out at one stage and we were given a prescription to take to the Chemist and got it there, but it only comes in 1mg tabs for humans, so she was on 16 per day.
The Chemist did a double take on the script and asked to see the "patient", which I happily obliged him wit a visit from her, complete with prescription held in her mouth.

It made a vast difference to her overall wellbeing, previously lethargic she gained a new lease of life.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Hi Lisa, yes I had a Great Dane with an underactive thyroid.
It was only because I persevered with the vet that a test was done to determine the thyroid activity, and it came back as at the lower end of what is regarded as "normal".
She was put on 16mg daily by two 8mg tablets (which at that dosage are only vet available), but they ran out at one stage and we were given a prescription to take to the Chemist and got it there, but it only comes in 1mg tabs for humans, so she was on 16 per day.
The Chemist did a double take on the script and asked to see the "patient", which I happily obliged him wit a visit from her, complete with prescription held in her mouth.

It made a vast difference to her overall wellbeing, previously lethargic she gained a new lease of life.

Thanks Damian, so glad to hear it made a great difference to her well being.

I'm just waiting for the result of the first set of bloods to come back, hopefully that should be tomorrow. He has all the clinical signs of having an underactive thyroid and I'll be really surprised if it isn't. The vet said if the result comes back as a thyroid problem, then another test will have to be done (which is fine). He also said if it is positive, then obviously, he'll be on tablets for the rest of his life but will have to have bloods tested every 6 months, perhaps even every 3-6 months.

When you said you persevered with the vet, do you mean the vet thought it was something else? What clinical signs did your dog show? And, out of interest what age was she when diagnosed?

My dog has an unexplained weight gain, symetrical hair loss across the flanks, moodiness, sometimes lethargic, off his food and feels the cold. It's all crept up very quickly indeed.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Lisa

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lisa,
With Lilly it was a number of what could have been insignificant changes, had they not all been noticed over a period of time, which is why we always observe the dogs very closely on a daily basis for changes in their behaviour.

Lilly put on weight and became very lethargic, off her food for a day or so, then would eat, but not a lot.

She was 6 years old when diagnosed and went on to 9 years before she had to be PTS after several strokes which left her unable to use her back legs.

Persevering with the vet was because as the initial results were within the "normal" limits, he decided it was ok, we disagreed and almost had to DEMAND that she be tried on Thyroxin, and it worked.
Subsequent bloods revealed her level had gone up to just above the half way mark, which was just about right for her.

She was tested initially every 3 months for a year, then every 6 months after.

And BTW the Thyroxin from the Chemist was a LOT cheaper than the vet, just had to use a lot of tabs for each dose.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Damian

Thanks ever so much for your comprehensive reply, greatly appreciated.

The vet has just phoned me. The dog's thyroid function is normal.

He's going in tomorrow for a skin biopsy.

There is one thing I have learned in this and that is when you're given a possible diagnosis, DO NOT SEARCH THE INTERNET, as I've probably got myself into a state 'and added up' all the, what I thought were clinical signs, matching what I'd read on the internet and convinced myself it was that, when it is nothing of the sort.

Being factual now, was he really feeling the cold?, he has always been a bit moody, and he's never been overkeen on his dog food and he does tire himself out when he goes on the swingpole with a tyre on it. Also, I have asked my husband very firmly, NOT to give him anymore titbits.

Thanks again Damian.

Lisa x

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa,
When you vet said the levels were normal, did he say where on the scale they were?
I hope you get a quick resolution to whatever the problem is, but if you are not happy with your vets diagnosis, get a second opinion.

I say that as what was "diagnosed" as a bruise on Ellie, my current Dane, turned out to be septacaemia and I very nearly lost her, she is still on 5000mg of antibiotics now, 5 months later to ensure all the poison is eradicated and will be on the same meds for another month.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Damian

The results are back, he has seasonal alopecia, no cure or anything, the fur will grow back eventually. The weight gain is due to my husband being a 'feeder' to the dogs. A practice he'd better stop or else.
smiley-yell.gif

Lisa xxx

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Hi Lisa,
When you vet said the levels were normal, did he say where on the scale they were?
I hope you get a quick resolution to whatever the problem is, but if you are not happy with your vets diagnosis, get a second opinion.

I say that as what was "diagnosed" as a bruise on Ellie, my current Dane, turned out to be septacaemia and I very nearly lost her, she is still on 5000mg of antibiotics now, 5 months later to ensure all the poison is eradicated and will be on the same meds for another month.

Good job you're on the ball, just goes to show you have to push some vets. I've known this vet for 20 years, since he qualified and I do trust him.
Lisa xxxx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts