Unicorn Insurance

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
Back on the forum after a few years away.

I am about to take delivery of a new Unicorn Valencia on Friday, so called the CC insurance to change over from my 2010 Pegasus.
I was asked to give details of all security systems. Wheel lock, trailer control, hitch lock and tracker. I then realized that there is no alarm as such. Do we know why the alarm has been deleted? Will now miss out on the 10% alarm discount. Have I missed any items that would reduce my premium?

Many thanks.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I think you'll find the CC does not give discount for hitch locks, unfortunately. This is because any determined toe rag will just clamp over the hitch (without removing any lock fitted) and away they go. We also have an alarm on our van but don't claim an insurance discount because we don't power it up whilst in storage.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you want the discount you would need to have an alarm fitted, which your dealer should be able to do for you. I am not convinced by them as most thefts would take place where an alarm would not be effective but they must save some caravans so it is a matter of personal choice. The discount however was never big enough for us to think it was a good reason to fit one.
Thieves probably know how to disable standard fit alarms, certainly on our last caravan it was fairly easy to see how it could be done quickly if you got in the caravan and although I never tried it it did look possible to do it from underneath by simply ripping off the siren after removing a cheap plastic grill.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
The effectiveness of alarms is very debatable, we use ours at home as we can hear it from in the house, and if we are not at home it does alert the neighbours. We have talked to them and they know that if they hear the alarm and we are not there and 'anyone' is messing - to ring the police. (would that be any use these days?) But to illustrate how much use alarms are, a friend of ours on a weekend rally about 10 miles from his home, with a very desirable Abbey Spectrum. He arrived with his van & set up on the Friday, his wife joined him after work in her car. On the Sunday afternoon, they packed the van up and she went off in her car, leaving him to hitch up to take the van home. As soon as he hitched up the the van alarm went off, felt for his alarm fob, but realised his wife had locked up and pocketed the key. Proceeded to continue and set off home with alot of decibels issuing from the caravan. Drove right across Lincoln, passed the Lincolnshire Police Head Quarters to his home village and into his drive where he then got the alarm cancelled. Did any thing happen, zilch, no reports, nothing . So much for alarms!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts