Uprating the a Vans MTPLM

Jan 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello All,

I am looking at getting my vans mtplm up rated. I have checked with the manufacturer and it was previously plated at 1590kg and my model can be up rated to 1800kg by just replacing the plate. I have checked tyres, hitch and axle ratings and they are all ok and concur with the weights the manufacturer has quoted. All good. Now here is the question, if it is only an engraved aluminum plate which needs to be replaced can this be changed by myself, to reflect what the manufactures figures are?

Many thanks

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
No, you need to go through your dealer who will get it from the manufacturer. You should also get a new NCC registration certificate.

Be prepared for it to cost in the region of

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
i asked my dealer about this and while it is a case of changing the plate on the van you also have to change the registration paperwork with CRIS, if you are registered with them.

If you were thinking of having a plate made up but with a higher weight on, without buying the manufacturers plate then i would advise against it as should you have an accident, they will look at the weights and if you cannot prove purchase of the upgraded plate then you may find yourself without insurance.

All a bit of a con really by the makers as they sell you a van then say" oh yes it will carry more, but you have to pay us for a new weight plate" why dont they just plate it up to reflect what it can carry??

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The reason why manufacturers plate caravan artificially low is to allow more people who passed their driving test after the 1st January 1997 to tow the caravan without a category B+E licence and to take those into account who religiously follow the 85% weight ratio recommendation. In both cases it is a marketing ploy.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Malcolm, Ive had my new van uprated and What I have done is kept the old plate, so when I sell it I can either get it re plated back to the lower figure or leave it as it is. Swift were very good with me and did the replate free as it was a new van

Kevin

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
i asked my dealer about this and while it is a case of changing the plate on the van you also have to change the registration paperwork with CRIS, if you are registered with them.

If you were thinking of having a plate made up but with a higher weight on, without buying the manufacturers plate then i would advise against it as should you have an accident, they will look at the weights and if you cannot prove purchase of the upgraded plate then you may find yourself without insurance.

All a bit of a con really by the makers as they sell you a van then say" oh yes it will carry more, but you have to pay us for a new weight plate" why dont they just plate it up to reflect what it can carry??
It is not the CRiS registration that needs changed, it only shows ownership, it is the NCC certificate, it shows the weight of the van.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Malcolm, Ive had my new van uprated and What I have done is kept the old plate, so when I sell it I can either get it re plated back to the lower figure or leave it as it is. Swift were very good with me and did the replate free as it was a new van

Kevin
Kevin/Trucker

I missed a trick there as my van is now 18 months old - but thanks for the tip for next time. I tend to carry heavy items in the 4x4 with just the two of us, so its not too critical.

I haven't forgotten the window thing. Just no time to go sleuthing yet.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

I can't really get my head around this......

Why would one want to uprate the plating anyhow given that many/most involved with our hobby routinely disregard their load ratings anyway as well as the 85/15 guidance (golly I nearly said rule!)not to mention paying 50 quid for the trouble.

After all its still the same van anyhow.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
So that one can legally carry more stuff.

Better than having to unload the van if it is found to be overweight at a roadside check.

With Movers now so popular, and thinking on the other extras one might add, it soon eats into the original payload.

We have uprated from 1815 to 1900, which more than covers the mover, air con, shocks and other extras we added, and leaves our original allowance intact.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
james p

Because people tend to look at MTPLM not MIRO when assessing if their tow vehicle is suitable. A low figure attracts more business.
It IS the MTPLM you need to consider when looking at whether your towcar will handle the van. MIRO merely determines your payload.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Just a point.

Not every van can be up rated. It depends on what the rating of the axle you have fitted.

I tried to increase mine, was told i couldn't.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I was recently looking through our caravan's paperwork and looked at the NCC Certificate - I don't really know why. The figures on this did not equate with the MTPLM figure quoted on the plate. The Certificate was at the lower MTPLM, the plate at the higher MTPLM.

I contacted Swift about this who were very helpful, (although didn't offer any explanation for the differences), and said they would send me either a new plate at the lower figure or a new certificate at the higher figure. I opted for the new certificate. At no time was a charge mentioned at all.

In view of what James P has written I had better look at my CRIS documents.

Regards

John M

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
The CRis document does not mention weight, it is only an ownership registration (as I have already said twice higher up!).

The NCC certificate is the one that needs to agree with the plate.

You need to speak to your dealer, he decides how much to charge, based presumably on what the manufacturer charges him.

We paid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts