US RV rental

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I thought I would have a look at this but I was seriously expecting it to be too expensive but I can get a late model 7 berth RV with all the normal american extras for 3 weeks for less than £1K!

This is cheaper than the villa we are looking at and would enable us to visit the southern areas of Florida as well as Orlando area on our planned break.

Has anyone done this?

Any hidden costs, pitfalls or license requirements.

Last time we were in Florida and I saw a lakeside RV park and it was very good, any ideas of the cost per night?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
You need to take out the max insurance policy ie collision damage waver, & dont forget they are gas guzzlers. Some of the large ones do as much as 5mpg (I know fuel is a lot cheaper there).

Hope you have a good time.

G.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have no direct experience, but met a couple of people in spain last year who had shipped thier own motorhome to USA - into Newark, New jersey, i think. They planned to tour for some months and found it actually chaper this way, plus they had a vehicle they were used to.

Atlantic crossing took about 3 weeks port to port, but you could load all your gear into the RV. The get a budget flight with only carry-ons.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the input I have looked into it and there are some extras like paying for extra mileage over say 100 miles a day and campsites seem OK at up to $40 a day.

I got a much better reaction than I expected from family so will look into doing 1 week of a 3 week holiday in an RV.

This would enable us to visit Miami or the start of the Keys and Daytona or the gulf beaches - have visited Clearwater last time and that was superb.

The RV we would book would do in the region of 8-10 mpg but petrol is around a third of the UK price so that should be around the same costwise as towing my van.

FYI the RV costs

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Stan

Thanks for the input - been away for half term so only just seen your reply.

Any other info re. booking sites and costs would be appreciated.

Are there any hidden costs?

I have worked out that it would cost appx the same as my outfit at home for fuel and camping costs so extras like additional mileage charges, insurance and the original rental costs seem to be the additional charges.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts