Using MCEA to check caravan purchase

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
I hope this is in the correct section.
Wiil keep this brief....I purchased a motorhome and didnt check properly for damp.(valuable lesson learned).
Were going back to caravanning soon and will be looking for a van around 2010-2014.
Dont want to make the same mistake,so if the right van comes along,will use MCEA to conduct a gas/electric and most importantly,damp test.
Has anyone used this service and what is the average response time to inspect the van from initial phone call please
Many thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
Hi.
I hope this is in the correct section.
Wiil keep this brief....I purchased a motorhome and didnt check properly for damp.(valuable lesson learned).
Were going back to caravanning soon and will be looking for a van around 2010-2014.
Dont want to make the same mistake,so if the right van comes along,will use MCEA to conduct a gas/electric and most importantly,damp test.
Has anyone used this service and what is the average response time to inspect the van from initial phone call please
Many thanks

There’s no average it all depends on what work your MCEA outlet has already booked. Ours currently have a 4-5 week period but regular customers may get seen sooner if there’s a breakdown. Start talking to the MCEA technicians in your area and pencil in potential time windows.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great idea, and a few pounds spent on the inspection could save hundreds if not thousands. Whilst you haven't actually stated when you would get the inspection done, but I would strongly suggest before you agree to purchase.

If a seller tries to stop you doing it, ask yourself what they may be trying to hide, and walk away.If they are genuine there should be no problem.

I do suggest you get your inspector to provide you with a check list of what they will be looking at, before you actually engage them, It will also give you the chance to think of any other things that may not be on teh list that you would like to be looked at carefully. There may be additional charges for extra's

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you both.
I think we would have to be 99.9% sure of the caravan we wanted before we contacted an engineer to carry out tests on it otherwise it could be rather expensive in the long run.
I believe MCEA will conduct a "silver" service which includes gas,electric,water maybe,and most importantly...damp.
This is £160 for members of the clubs and as you say....could save thousands in the long run

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A word of advice.
The MCEA bronze, silver and gold inspections are way over priced !!!!! and you will get much better results from any AWS registered engineer, at much better prices.

Also, AWS engineers are the only ones recognised by the Industry.

I have just looked at the "services" offered by the MCEA as far as bronze , silver and gold inspections go and frankly they are more bull than reality and the pricing is unbelievable.

When doing a pre purchase inspection the very first thing to check is for damp, but that is not on the bronze inspection.
If damp is found then the inspection stops until the prospective owner is advised and asked if they want to go further, and honestly I have never had a buyer continue once damp is found.
as far as checking catches and locks work, that is ridiculous, the prospective buyer can do that with their eyes closed !!!
The major items are Damp, Gas tightness and operation of appliances, without those being top if the list the offering is worthless.
Also I noticed one item, namely "ampere functionality of 230v appliances" What a load of bull !!!!

Also, the general condition report,,,,,,why? the buyer can see the general condition, he does not need to be told in an expensive report !!!!!

Engage a AWS engineer with nothing to do with the clubs or MCEA and get a proper inspection .!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are buying privately then the full inspection is certainly a good idea but if there is a problem with the first the costs could get prohibitive. I would say when enquiring you want an inspection and if anyone says no then stop there.
If buying from a dealer and everything else works a damp check is probably your best option and that should cost about 50 Pounds or so depending on where you are.
There are also NCC approved engineers and you could also look at them. There are details on their website.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts