V5 Towing Weight

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi, newbie to the forum and I'm sure this question has been asked before.

My 2011 Ford Focus 1.6 (125) Zetec V5 document shows my braked tow weight as being 800 Kilos, but the vehicle has a kerb weight of 1276 Kilos and allowing for the 85% guideline when towing a caravan this would give my car a safe tow weight allowance of 1084 Kilos.

Armed with this information I approached a number of caravan dealers who all said yes those figures are correct and if if need be you can tow a vehicle up to a maximum of the vehicle's kerb weight. However, I then approached another dealer and showed them my V5, which displays a tow braked weight of 800 kilos and promptly said that figure by law is my maximum tow weight. :woohoo:

Is this correct please?

Many thanks in advanced for any advice and guidance in relation to this confusion.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with Sproket.
Its another classic example of how the industries 85% guidance is so easily misinterpreted and used incorrectly.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Sproket said:
If it say's on your V5, braked towing weight is 800kg then that is all that the car is allowed to tow, any more than that and you are breaking the law.

Have a look here is yours the same ?

I would have thought that what counts is what is on the VIN plate on the vehicle and not the V5 as it has been known for mistakes to be made on the V5. Also caravan dealer is the very last person on earth I would approached regarding advice on the towing limit of a vehicle.
As for HJ although a brilliant site with fairly accurate info it always worth double checking. My Jeep Grand Cheorkee has a maximum braked towing load of 3500kg as per V5 and VIN plate, but HJ quote a lower figure.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
My thanks for your prompt replies guys.

I should add the Tow Safe system, which the dealers now use also shows a braked tow weight of 800 Kilos for my vehicle.

What really annoyed us was a salesman at one dealership said based on the car's kerb weight we could pull more than 800 Kilos, whilst his colleague at a sister dealership pointed out the maximum tow weight for our vehicle is 800 Kilos based on the V5 document.

Given we nearly paid £14,500 for a new Swift Alpine 2 off the guy who gave us the incorrect information we were less than pleased when the second salesman said we couldn't purchase the caravan based on the V5 information.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Harmonic said:
Given we nearly paid £14,500 for a new Swift Alpine 2 off the guy who gave us the incorrect information we were less than pleased when the second salesman said we couldn't purchase the caravan based on the V5 information.

Which is why I mentioned about never speaking to a caravan sales person regarding towing weights. You were indeed very lucky. Are you going to keep the car or upgrade it to tow something mroe suitable? Alternatively do what some do and buy an older 4 x 4 and licence it for the months when you can caravan and then SORN it. The Mitsubishi Pajero and Toyota Surf make excellent low maintence two vehicles although they are probably about 20 years old. Many swear by either for reliability.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks Surfer. As you say we now need to either upgrade our vehicle, or purchase a car specifically to tow the caravan and many thanks for your advice in relation to that very point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts