VAG 1.4 140ps (Tiguan/Kodiaq) for towing ?

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Hi all.
Looking at a new model Tiguan or Kodiaq for towing our 1500kg (MTPLM) Swift Challenger.
Obviously the TDi models should be the go-to for towing, but this car will be the Wife's car too. Being a community nurse, her driving is all town driving, occasional weekly longer runs of half an hour or more. I am concerned about the TDi when used for this type of driving.,,
The salesman mentioned the 140ps 1.4 petrol engine variants...?
I know the mag have tested the 190ps petrol, but I wondered if anyone had towed with the 140ps ?
Any feedback would be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Can you please explain your concern about town driving with a TDI?

The new Tiguan has a Euro 6 engine and uses Adblue so is not as prone to particle filter regeneration as the older VAG BMT engines.

I have a 150 TDI BMT with DSG and regularly get 38-40 mpg round town and it tows our 1500MTPLM Bailey without a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cannot comment specifically about the different diesel engine variations, but as they are presently sold with DPF's there must be particulates for them to collect, and it is widely known that such engines that are driven in urban environments where the engine may not get hot enough or at high enough revs to burn off the stored particulates will be more prone to DPF issues.

I was having my MOT done last week, and in the space of an hour the service manager received three separate calls about failing DPFs. He told me about a fleet operator who does door to door deliveries who used a lot of Fiat Doblo diesels. They are wishing they hadn't now. They are replacing them with petrol units or even electrics in the future.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Don’t be mislead EU6 Diesel engines use AdBlue to remove harmful NOX it does nothing to reduce diesel particulates. It uses a system called Selective Catalytic Reduction where AdBlue is injected into the SCR chamber which precedes the DPF. The SCR converts NOX to harmless nitrogen and oxygen. The SCR process first came into being on large ships and was used in coastal waters. It then progressively came into heavy road vehicles and now cars. A VW Polo 1.4 tdi without SCR puts out many times more NOX than does a laden heavy truck with SCR. It is very effective.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Clive, the 1.4 Litre engine is a petrol not diesel.

Prof
I was quoting from a report that was solely concerned with diesel NOX emissions and the car tested was a VW Polo tdi. But I can see where the confusion arose given the OP was also mentioning a 1.4 engine, but not in a Polo.

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Thanks all.
Concern is the DPF issue becasue my Wifes driving pattern is short jourinys of less than 1/4 mils for most of the day, with at least one 10 min faster drive usually.
Even the dealer mentioned that the diesel might not be the best choice, but that was based just on mileage, which I agree with. She doesn't do the miles to offset the additional cost.

It gets further complicated as they are now saying the 140hp petrol model is no longer available.

We tested a 1.4 125hp petrol model, but I'm really concerned about its ability to tow the caravan with its MTPLM of 1500kg. The car is rated to 1600kg, so it must be capable, I just dont want to be thrashing the thing every time we go away with the caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
takisawa2 said:
Thanks all.
Concern is the DPF issue becasue my Wifes driving pattern is short jourinys of less than 1/4 mils for most of the day, with at least one 10 min faster drive usually.
Even the dealer mentioned that the diesel might not be the best choice, but that was based just on mileage, which I agree with. She doesn't do the miles to offset the additional cost.

It gets further complicated as they are now saying the 140hp petrol model is no longer available.

We tested a 1.4 125hp petrol model, but I'm really concerned about its ability to tow the caravan with its MTPLM of 1500kg. The car is rated to 1600kg, so it must be capable, I just dont want to be thrashing the thing every time we go away with the caravan.

We sold everything up in early 2014 and bought Subaru Forester 2.0 non turbo petrol 150bhp. It had a tow rating of 2000kg although having no caravan that wasn't relevant. In late 2016 we bought lightweight pop top , MTPLM 1000kg and on a trip to Wales it was clear that the Subaru was working quite hard to keep up with traffic flow especially on hills and it didnt like overtakes on motorways either. Spring 20017 saw us change from the pop top to a 1300 kg MTPLM caravan. We used the Subaru for a trip to the New Forest, hardly a challenge, but I wasnt happy having an engine seeing 5000 rpm + at regular intervals. It wasn't comfortable at all. What people don't realise is that the tow weight relates to the cars ability to do a number of repeated hill starts on a specified incline. It doesn't relate to its real world ability to tow a caravan.

Given your wifes work routines a diesel would be at risk of DPF clogging which isn't a warranty item. You may have to cast your net wider (Subaru Forester XT perhaps) , or perhaps buy your wife a small petrol car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
takisawa2 said:

Just becasue a vehicle is rated to tow 1600kg, does not mean it will be a good match with a 1600kg caravan, becasue caravans are far from ideal trailers. This is why the UK caravan industry advises you to consider a caravan with an MTPLM not exceeding 85% of the tow vehicles kerb weight.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
takisawa2 said:
Well, after some swapping around, we’ve gone for the 150hp version of the 1.4 TSi. Thanks for your input all.

Hope you have some enjoyable trips in your outfit. I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the cars performance solo and towing.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just one point here which no-one has picked up.

The heading says Tiguan/Kodiaq which is not an equivalance. The Tiguan is based on the Golf chassis whereas the Kodiaq ia based on the Passat chassis - ir to put it another way, the Tiguan is an Audi Q3 whereas the Kodiaq is an Audi Q5. The match for a Tiguan is a Karoq; the match for a Kodiaq is a Touareq.

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Hi all.
Well we’ve had the Tiguan for 3 weeks now, done about 700 Miles. The engine is loosening up a treat. I’m off out for work tomorrow, so hopefully another 250 mikes on her.
Drives beautifully, economy isn’t great but it’s a heavy car & quite new.
Had the tow bar fitted the other day, £589. It’s the exact same Westfalia model that the dealers fit for £1200.!!!
So hopefully we will have it’s maiden tow this weekend.
We are off to Scotland in 2 weeks so I wanted to make sure all was good.
I’ll report back on its towing abilities.

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Hi all.
Well, we are currently half way to Scotland, towing with the Tiguan. :)
Have to say it tows brilliantly. The 150ps 1.4 petrol is plenty powerful enough. Sitting nicely at 60mph, at just over 2000rpm in 6th. Hills don’t seem to trouble it too much. Fuel economy isn’t great, looking like about 23mpg, but we are towing a 1500kg van & have 3 bikes on the roof.
So anyone looking to go for a petrol model I’d say the mid range petrol is plenty good enough.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having changed to petrol I would agree. We have 160 ps and it is adequate, but you have to accept more gear changing and a worse fuel consumption. We now get 28/30 as against 32/34 for the diesel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you. A real world towing report on a modern turbo petrol engine. I’m sure it will be of tremendous use to a growing number of people who would prefer to have a petrol car. Enjoy Scotland it is great.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Having changed to petrol I would agree. We have 160 ps and it is adequate, but you have to accept more gear changing and a worse fuel consumption. We now get 28/30 as against 32/34 for the diesel.

But the fuel is cheaper and servicing costs through life are less too. And no glow plugs,dpf, adblue, EGR etc to worry about either.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
It won’t be long before we get the 1600cc V6, high revving F1 based engines. How will they tow :silly:

The old ford Capri 2.0 v4 were good engines.
But doubt they would cope with Porlock hill.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:
It won’t be long before we get the 1600cc V6, high revving F1 based engines. How will they tow :silly:

My uncle used to tow a Safari/Cossalt a heavy old van with his series 1 Land Rover then a Maxi. Went to Porlock and around the Lakeland passes when he went to buy sheep or on holiday. Suspect he breached the 85% advice which post dated his trips.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:

My uncle used to tow a Safari/Cossalt a heavy old van with his series 1 Land Rover then a Maxi. Went to Porlock and around the Lakeland passes when he went to buy sheep or on holiday. Suspect he breached the 85% advice which post dated his trips.[/quote

Ah the old Landrovers I had a series 3 in Nigeria 2.5 petrol. IT would go anywhere and tow almost anything, but slowly. No comparison really.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:

What rubbish,

Of course they would cope with Porlock Hill, just a lower gear and slower speed, and I'm sure many did. They may not have coped as well as a modern diesel, but out perceptions of what is good has been biased by experiences with engines that were not available in days gone by.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:

What rubbish,

Of course they would cope with Porlock Hill, just a lower gear and slower speed, and I'm sure many did. They may not have coped as well as a modern diesel, but out perceptions of what is good has been biased by experiences with engines that were not available in days gone by.
What rubbish??
Oh dear Prof. That’s unfair :(
Back in the 60s and 70s Porlock Hill was a killer for most cars. Both the RAC and AA had water barrels half way up the hill . Why? Overheating engines :eek:hmy:
Those towing a caravan were offered the toll,road. To this day only an absolute idiot would try and tow up Porlock Hill. The gradient and hairpin bends would make towing a caravan up virtually impossible.
Historically, years back, a lot of cars reversed up Porlock . Reverse was lower than 1st gear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
xtrailman said:
The 190ps petrol engine would have been the better option for towing.
I've ordered the 190ps diesel tiggy due next year.

But the OPs feedback indicates that the car he’s bought tows his caravan ok. It also meets his other needs for motoring and transport so why would he want something more powerful. Personally I think he should have bought a Superb 280 petrol estate TIC :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts