Van - back after service

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

with the new season approaching we had the van serviced, collecting it two fridays ago, as we cannot keep the van at home it goes into storage.

Last Friday, full of anticipation we collected the van, took it home, connected the mains lead, set the fridge, stocked up ready for the weekend.

Unfortunately we did not check everything, arrived on site, set up.... NO hot water!!!!!!, worked perfectly before the service.

Brother in law also with us, had his van serviced in the same place, NO sockets working...

Searching around we found the booklet for the water heater, tried the gas system, still not working, switched it all off, let if for a couple of hours, switched back on, jey presto it worked.

It appears that everything was left switched on after the service, including the water heater, hence when power is reconnected the thermal overload cut out and has to be switched off before it will reset.. another lesson learned, should have known as all the taps were left open.

The brother in laws mcb was u.s, a round trip of about 40 miles, quick change over and bob's your uncle all working again.... another lesson... check everything after a service, then check it again.

Cracking weekend, even the snow on Sunday morning looked good.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That happened to me in Jan

Got the van back from service and plugged in to mains at home

A couple of days later noticed that drained down heater switch was in "ON" position

Water heater would not work until left 0ff for a while so that it could reset itself

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys.

Personally I'd be making one hell of a complaint to the service agents and involving trading standards. especially if your caravans were returned to you in a poorer state of functionallity than pre service. after all, you have paid good money for a service and safety check only to be left with vans that required further repairs onsite.

This is one of the reasons why I service our van myself. Fortunately I am a qualified multi-skilled engineer, so checking for gass leaks, wiring faults, wheel bearings, brakes etc are all well within my skill set.

I know that not everyone has those skills and would certainly not advise anyone to take chances. You should be able to not only assume or trust, but be able to rely upon a service engineer to carry out the service tasks and present the van back to the customer in a fully functional condition, together with a report sheet detailing all items checked and any remidial work that he would suggest to be done to improve the systems.

It seems that the halo of custoer care has slipped to the ankles of the service center's you guys have used.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Draining the water heater down appears to be part of the servicing schedule. Mine was drained down even though it was June!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've always done my own servicing but new caravans have to be serviced by an approved service centre or the warranty is void

Its mor hassle emptying the van than doing a service--or so it feels

Not draining down in January would be negligence but it should be accompanied by switching off appliances such as the water heater

To be fair when I rang my dealer they offered to come out to the house and replace the water heater under said warranty if reset did not work which it fortunately did !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've always done my own servicing but new caravans have to be serviced by an approved service centre or the warranty is void

Its mor hassle emptying the van than doing a service--or so it feels

Not draining down in January would be negligence but it should be accompanied by switching off appliances such as the water heater

To be fair when I rang my dealer they offered to come out to the house and replace the water heater under said warranty if reset did not work which it fortunately did !
Hello John,

Your warranty is not affected by who services the van, as it only covers defects present at the time of purchase under the sale of goods act.

The choice of service centre may affect your manufactures Guarantee, which is controlled by the manufactures terms and conditions and entirely separate to your SOGA statutory rights warranty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

Your warranty is not affected by who services the van, as it only covers defects present at the time of purchase under the sale of goods act.

The choice of service centre may affect your manufactures Guarantee, which is controlled by the manufactures terms and conditions and entirely separate to your SOGA statutory rights warranty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A service should in no way cause property to be returned to its owner is a worse state than when it was placed in the care of the agent.

What follows are not statements of law, but are my own opinions

As a general rule, if a service provider does not carry out what you expect based on the terms of the contracted service work, or does it to a lesser standard than you expect. In the first place you should contact the provider and discuss it with them. If you don't obtain a satisfactory resolution then take it further.

It may not be written in any law, but it is implicit that any business/organisation has a duty of care to ensure that customer's property is reasonably protected from loss or deterioration due to storage or any work that may be instructed or required.

In the case of Service work, the customer has right to expect the work to be competently carried out, in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, or to what has been established as best practice in the industry. They should also expect to receive a written report of the tests and any work carried out, it may just be a note like an MOT report.

Equally the customer has the right to expect that no other difficulties should arise directly or indirectly from the work carried out, so for example, If a heater has been tested or serviced, then it should work when it reaches the customer. There should be no additional dirty hand or footprints on furniture and carpets and the property should have sustained no loss or damage either through negligence or deliberate acts.

Most reputable business will have insurance to cover loss or damage to customer's property whilst in their care or they have an interest or lien on it. Unless they instruct you to remove personal belongings, portable or high value items, they cannot exclude them from their liability. So if you do sustain either loss or damage whilst your property is in their care, then claim against the agent, not your own insurance.

A business that fails to do the above may be considered as failing in their duty of care and Trading Standards may take an interest.

If the service agent is a member of a trade organisation or is directly affiliated with a manufacture, then these organisations may have complaints procedures and also take an interest in your case.

At all times be honest, and be reasonable. Expect the Possible, Do not expect the impossible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

Sorry copied again this by mistake

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

Hi You still have to get the book stamped to be sure on all counts

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts