Vango Varkala 280 - Review

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Finally bit the bullet and bought a porch awning - a shiny Vango Varkala 280.

Buying was a bit of a pain in the backside as I tried online but they couldn't deliver before this weekend's trip, despite advertising overnight delivery - this led to a trip up to our local caravan dealer in West Yorkshire. The salesman wouldn't do us a deal on the awning saying that they are selling themselves - (If time wasn't against me I would have left the shop as the chap's sales technique was terrible, and the rest of the shop staff were not interested at all - no greeting or interest in showing us the product, no other customers in shop so not busy.) I will only go back to that place if forced - and if any of the staff or owners of Lowdham's in Huddersfield want to contact me to change my mind then I will supply contact details in exchange for an apology.

Anyway, paid full price (the same as everyone else is advertising it at), got a fiver off a 3m x 2.5m breathable rug and took them both with us this weekend.

Getting it out of the bag its a standard Vango well made and well presented product. The short time to put the thing up is a bit misleading but from getting the bag out of the caravan to being inside laying the rug I think was about 30 - 45 minutes - and thats as a complete novice.

The 'no poles' claim is also misleading as there are 2 steel poles that go at the back of the awning to push the foam pads against the caravan side and offer draft protection, in Vango's defence, I can't think of any other method of doing this.

The airbeams go up easily once you've worked out how the valves and the pump work, and its also supplied with a mallet and 'rock anchor' pegs which are a lot more sturdy that the thin pegs I did Duke of Edinburghs expeditions years ago.

Its light and airy, once up it didn't look as well pitched as in the adverts but I think this is mainly due to pegging out. I wasn't prepared to spend an hour with the pegs making it look like in the showroom.

To get it down took about 30 - 45 minutes also, although I was being really careful about folding it up to put it away as its brand new.

This being my first awning I can't compare it to others, in terms of ease of pitching it seemed straight forward (I only found the instructions once I'd finished), and as for recommending it over any other porch awning, time will tell as to how it stands up against the test of time.

Any questions, please ask!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I have also considered this awning as the larger one (420) may not go over a window on my van while the Kampa air 390 does. Do you have to inflate and deflate all the "poles" separately, How do the cross members fit? It looks like velcro on the web?
mel

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
All the poles deflate individually, as do the cross members although you just unscrew the plug and it deflates instantly. I did worry that you would have to pump the air out to get it in the bag but no such problems.

The cross members just Velcro in but it is quite a snug and tidy fit so is very easy to put up and pull down

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I made the mistake of buying the Varkala 280 from Glossop Awnings through eBay. When it arrived it had two holes in the base of the bag and one of the holes was right through to the awning which had a hole in the roof panel. i requested a replacement and the seller insisted that Vango's policy was that it had to be returned to Vango for either repair or replacement. I said a repair was unacceptable as the item was described as "new, unused, undamaged in original packaging". However the seller insisted that Vango would collect it and emailed a returns label addressed to Vango. I offered 5 different days for delivery and stayed in each of these 5 days. Vango never contacted me or attempted to pick up the awning. Eventually I asked eBay to step in and so far they have been worse than useless, they just keep extending the deadline for the seller to act. I'm beginning to feel that I'll never get that money back.
As we are due to go on holiday I have purchased an Ourdoor Revolution Sport 325 from Camping World and I'm very happy with it and the service from Camping World who have pulled out all the stops to make sure I got all the things I needed in time for our holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
blairged said:
I made the mistake of buying the Varkala 280 from Glossop Awnings through eBay. When it arrived it had two holes in the base of the bag and one of the holes was right through to the awning which had a hole in the roof panel. i requested a replacement and the seller insisted that Vango's policy was that it had to be returned to Vango for either repair or replacement. I said a repair was unacceptable as the item was described as "new, unused, undamaged in original packaging". However the seller insisted that Vango would collect it and emailed a returns label addressed to Vango. I offered 5 different days for delivery and stayed in each of these 5 days. Vango never contacted me or attempted to pick up the awning. Eventually I asked eBay to step in and so far they have been worse than useless, they just keep extending the deadline for the seller to act. I'm beginning to feel that I'll never get that money back.
As we are due to go on holiday I have purchased an Ourdoor Revolution Sport 325 from Camping World and I'm very happy with it and the service from Camping World who have pulled out all the stops to make sure I got all the things I needed in time for our holiday.

Look up your right under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
I will presume the awning was damaged in transit. Which is the seller's responsibility as they set up the delivery contract. The seller is in breach of the CRA.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Surprised to hear of your disappointment with Glossop Awnings. I bought my Kalari 520 from them at the NEC show at a great price and they delivered to my office shortly after. Couldn't fault them.

No experience of their ebay site though ....

Regarding the poles that are supplied to keep the two vertical edges rigid where they meet the side of the van, ours has had two outings so far and I didn't use them, nor did I use any of the ropes and all seemed rigid enough. Might be a different story should we suddenly be caught out by unclement weather :p

May 19, 2017
Visit site
Icaru5 - I've got a Kalari 420 & set it up a couple of days ago for first time. It's now packed away until Saturday morning when I will meet the challenge for the second time. Getting it onto my rail and in position is reasonably easy but the problem I'm having is pegging the whole awning out - in particular, the two webbing straps at each side entrance & the rain flaps at the bottom of each section. Am I correct in saying that the outer flaps peg outwards and the inner ones inside & under the carpet? Any advice you can provide to enable me to get the awning totally wind & water tight would be appreciated. Regards, Lew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts