Vauxhall insignia 20ltr Diesel Sri nav sports tourer Kerb weight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew,

The simple answer is no one on the forum can possibly tell you you cars kerb weight, because each car as it rolls of the production line will weigh slightly differently do to manufacturing tollerances, and even the paint finish.

With a new car it is best to look at your V5 log book which is likely to give you a Mass In Running Order (MIRO) which is the nearest legal definition to kerb weight.

Alternatively take your car along to the local weigh bridge, but make sure you have it empty of all nick nacs, 90% full tank of fuel, all fother fluids topped up and a 70Kg driver.

Warning - do not rely on any third party web site for kerb weights or towing matches,some of their details are wrong and the problem is you don't know if its the data for your car or caravan.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Vauxhall owners manuals contain (or used to) enough detail to determine the kerbweight based on the model, trim, engine, transmission and any optional extras - but look on the V5 for the Mass-in-Service - to all intents and purposes, that is the kerbweight and indeed is the figure that's used by VOSA and the police for post-1997 drivers with B-only licences when checking they're not towing more than 100%.

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Thank you surfer and Roger for your unscientific answers. Professor I just wanted the general kerb weight not the exact to the last ounce figure lol, and I may be wrong, unfortunately I am not a prof unlike you, but pretty sure all cars now are made by robots and will roll off the production line as near as you can to the same weight some how I doubt whether paint will make a huge difference in a cars weight but hey thanks for taking the time to answer me anyway

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Andrew_5080451 said:
Thank you surfer and Roger for your unscientific answers. Professor I just wanted the general kerb weight not the exact to the last ounce figure lol, and I may be wrong, unfortunately I am not a prof unlike you, but pretty sure all cars now are made by robots and will roll off the production line as near as you can to the same weight some how I doubt whether paint will make a huge difference in a cars weight but hey thanks for taking the time to answer me anyway
Did you look on the V5 - what weight did it give?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew.
Ive just searched the web and found that "Whatcar.com"have lots of kerbweights for the Insignia.
Sorry,but dont know how to post the link on here.
Adrian

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hello Andrew,

The simple answer is no one on the forum can possibly tell you you cars kerb weight, because each car as it rolls of the production line will weigh slightly differently do to manufacturing tollerances, and even the paint finish.

With a new car it is best to look at your V5 log book which is likely to give you a Mass In Running Order (MIRO) which is the nearest legal definition to kerb weight.

Alternatively take your car along to the local weigh bridge, but make sure you have it empty of all nick nacs, 90% full tank of fuel, all fother fluids topped up and a 70Kg driver.

Warning - do not rely on any third party web site for kerb weights or towing matches,some of their details are wrong and the problem is you don't know if its the data for your car or caravan.
When did the miro start being added to the V5.
My V5C shows nothing near the kerb weight.
Only gives max permissible mass (exc m/c) of 2170 whatever that is?
Car is 2009.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
RogerL said:
Vauxhall owners manuals contain (or used to) enough detail to determine the kerbweight based on the model, trim, engine, transmission and any optional extras - but look on the V5 for the Mass-in-Service - to all intents and purposes, that is the kerbweight and indeed is the figure that's used by VOSA and the police for post-1997 drivers with B-only licences when checking they're not towing more than 100%.
Mass in service is blank. On my 2009 V5C
Is this a new addition ?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Andrew_5080451 said:
Hi all could anyone tell me The exact Kerb weight for this vehicle please as we are looking at changing our current caravan Thank you andy
As others have said refer to the handbook.
with a new car i usually take the weight from the brochure for that car/year.
Equipment levels make a big difference through a range.

http://www.whattowcar.com/

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
RAY said:
Is this a new addition ?
All the V5C's I've seen since about 2005 have had the Mass-in-Service on them.
That's how I knew my 2006 Subaru was 1520kg compared to 1445kg in the sales brochure and my current 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe is 2017kg compared to 1987kg in the sales brochure - both figures confirmed on the local weighbridge, +/- 10kg.
My son's 2006 Vectra-C also has the Mass-in-Service on it's V5C.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
RogerL said:
RAY said:
Is this a new addition ?
All the V5C's I've seen since about 2005 have had the Mass-in-Service on them.
That's how I knew my 2006 Subaru was 1520kg compared to 1445kg in the sales brochure and my current 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe is 2017kg compared to 1987kg in the sales brochure - both figures confirmed on the local weighbridge, +/- 10kg.
My son's 2006 Vectra-C also has the Mass-in-Service on it's V5C.
Well not on the Nissan xtrail V5.
I can say with certainty as i have it in my hand, ready for the early Mot test next week.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew_5080451 said:
Hi all could anyone tell me The exact Kerb weight

I'm sorry Andrew but as you can see from your quote your question was quite specific.

As you will know we all use nicknames and for some they may represent a grain of truth. but for many they are just a nickname and so it may be unwise to apply any special credence to a posting because of a nickname, Consider other regular users, Sprocket Surfer and Dustydog, ......etc are they exactly what their nicknames suggest - if so I'm worried!
smiley-smile.gif

As for the manufacturing variations, Robot assembly should improve consistency of assembly, such as the right number of parts and fixing done up to the correct settings, but weight varaitions will be due to the accumulatoin of small differences in the weight of component parts, and the OEM fitting of some options. The paint work can have several Kg differnces, Its not that its inconsistency in the way it is applied, but metalic paint finishes weigh more than none metalic becasue of what goes into the paint.
MIRO igures are clearly it is not compulsory (yet) but some manufactures do and some don't include the figure.
Some contributors have suggested uing third party web sites for data (like WhatCar and others). All of these third party sites do have some errors, so only use reliable sources such as the MIRO, or get it confirmed from the manufacture against your cars VIN number. No other sources can be relied on 100%

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Andrew_5080451 said:
Hi all could anyone tell me The exact Kerb weight

I'm sorry Andrew but as you can see from your quote your question was quite specific.

As you will know we all use nicknames and for some they may represent a grain of truth. but for many they are just a nickname and so it may be unwise to apply any special credence to a posting because of a nickname, Consider other regular users, Sprocket Surfer and Dustydog, ......etc are they exactly what their nicknames suggest - if so I'm worried!
smiley-smile.gif
In my youth I used to do a lot of surfing off Cape Town and Durban. Now I only surf the Internet worldwide. However I drive a Toyota Hilux SURF so I guess my nickname is quite appropriate. No need for you to get worried. LOL!
smiley-laughing.gif

PS Maybe we should start a thread on why people chose a particular nickname.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts