vauxhall omega 2.5td

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
please can anyone help me with the specification of this car and any advice as to what it is like as a towcar please

thanks liz

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You don't say whether you are talking about the saloon or the estate. The saloon has a max. towload of 1750kg and a max. GVW of 2185kg (2195kg if automatic) and the estate car has a towload of 1600kg and a max. GVW of 2330kg (2340kg if automatic).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Liz,

is that the 2.5 BMW engine,I looked for one of these for quite a while but they are as rare as hens teeth.

Everyone I looked at had been round the world mileage wise.

I ended up with the 2.2cd petrol,manual and its an excellent towcar,so much space and a great cruiser on motorways.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
We have a Omega 2.5V6 automatic estate and have just purchased a twin axle Lunar Quasar and my husband assures me that it tows well - I haven't had a go yet and dont intend to!

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Vauxhall Omega 2.0GLS Estate, I bought it specifically for towing my ABI Target 575, Its maximum laden weight is 1500kgs and I work out that I am well within the 85% limit, When I bought the van from Cheddar, I drove back to Oxford along the M5 and the M4 with ease, It was a great ride, of course it was unladen. We recently went away to Weymouth and we had all our belongings and equipment for camping loaded and again, it towed great, the MPG was very resonable and we probably only used an extra 10 litres. Apparently towing with a roof box reduces your MPG but thats another story.

Basically the Vauxhall Omega is a good strong towing car with any type of caravan big or small. I will certainly be looking out for the 2.5 diesel depending on how fuel taxes are, I would probably recommend the V6 with a gas conversion as you have the same power at a fraction of the cost.

Barry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi liz you will find the omega is a realy good tow car we have a 2l estate kerbside weight 1525 and tow a coachman 520/4 1300 kl no steady as the proverbale rock regaurds peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had 2 Omega's the 2.5Tdi Estate and the 2.2TDi estate both towed (1420Kg van)very well - great when travelling in France over long distances. Need to give plenty of revs with hill starts but this is more about having the right techique.

Now have a 3.0 V6 Tdi Vectra estate which is even better (not quite so good on wet grass with the front wheel drive)

If only Vauxhall had put the 3.0 V6 CDti in the Omega that would have been perfect

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My experience of an Omega is the exact opposite to those posted here. I had a 2.0 litre petrol model. It was a beautiful car to ride in and also had all thee extras you could wish for in its day. Far superior to Ford or BMW. However when it came to towing the ABI Globetrotter 4 berths it was terrable. More often than not it overheated and we ended up on a recovery vehicle with the van behind. Three different garages had the car in an attempt to cure it and on one occassion the engine was stripped and rebuilt and also a new radiator was fitted. All to no avail. Fair enough I may have had a Friday afternnon built car but in the end I lost thousands on it as I was fed up with the hassle. The only good side was that on each recovery I did not have to pay the toll on the Severn Bridge

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Omega 2.5TD engine is sourced from BMW but has a poor reputation when fitted in the Vauxhall. This may well be due to first owners ignoring the 4,500 mile oil/filter change, later increased to 5,000. This engine gives problems if the frequent oil changes are not adhered to, unlike other Vauxhalls where the 10,000 interval can be regularly exceeded with little harmful effect. The service schedule is also significantly more expensive than other Vauxhalls!

The best advice from the trade is to avoid this engine in the Omega although it's a good unit when fitted in BMW's.

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
I don't have any problems where BMW servicing is concerned, being a huge fan of BMW cars, I have had several BMW's two of which were good tow cars, I still have a BMW 5 series but its currently off the road due to be given a much needed bodywork rework as its a tyred 1989 model. Still has an engine made of iron. Anyway, I have got a Vauxhall omega as I have posted in this topic already but I will probably head in the direction of an X5, may well be a chelsea tractor but for me its a 5 series with the ability to tow my large van with no problems and to house my small family and our luggage, My chosen model will be the 3.0d. Each top there own I guess but I beleieve you should always follow the best advise to where your individual requirements are met.

Barry

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Quote - "it's a good unit when fitted in BMWs" - It's the typical Vauxhall customer that makes the difference.

Most of the few 2.5TDs sold will have been neglected. Finding a good one is like "rocking horse droppings".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts