Vauxhall Omega

May 10, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2002 Vauxhall Omega 2.2. Sport with which I tow my current Bailey Beachcomber (2berth. I'm thinking of swopping the van for something like a Bailey Monarch, but will my Omega tow it alright?

According to the manual my Beachcomber's max weight is only 800kg but the Monach is a hefty 1258!

If I remember right the kerb weight of my Omega is 1600ish. My calculations mean the Omega will pull 1360ish but that's awfully close to the 1258. Is that OK? What difference (if any) will I find when towing something much heavier than I'm used too?

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Klarky for a very quick reply. I've been to the web site cited and it looks like my car except mine is an estate.

I've rooted out my car manual. It says kerb weight 1617kg. Do I need to add on towing equipment ? (if so according to the manual that's 32kg) giving a total kerb weight of 1649kg??? So then if I calculate 85% of that I get it to 1401.65kg.

When you say this is better. What do you mean?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi patricia

the kerbweight is the car as it stands with all liquids (oil water etc)tank 90%full petrol,you can not add weight to the car to up the kerbweight,so as you say the kerbweight is 1617kgs and that is what it stays at even better match than before.

as far as i said better,ignore i meant better than you thought.this is a great match you have no worries whatsover,happy towing

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Klarky,

That's reassuring.

Wondered if I would notice any difference with the extra weight i.e. have to change gear more??? The Beachcomber is the only thing I've ever towed so my experience of towing is limited to that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yeah you will notice a difference,theres a lot more weight to pull,as you say 450 kgs,but the car will cope with this,just take it easy the first time you go out and adjust yourself to the heavier pull ,mainly breaking(give a little more distance) and pulling away is where youll find the difference and you might have drop to a gear as before you might have got away with it,but dont worry its no great shakes im sure youll cope admirably as well as the car, so go out and dont worry, you probably wont feel any the difference after a few outings as it will come naturally

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had an Omega 2.0 litre petrol for about 2 years and towed initially an ABI Globetrotter and then a Bailey 500/5. I spent more time on Green Flag than on the road. As a solo car it could not be faulted. I tried two different garages to try to rectify the overheating problem but both after countless attempts failed. I would be very dubious about towing with another Omega. May have been a duff one-off I do not know but my experience of an Omega for towing is not a good one.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I towed a Swift Challenger 530 for 2yrs with an Omega 2.6 auto

Had no problems what ever.Replaced it with a Kia Sorento 2.5 diesel, the best tow car I've ever driven.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I have said before, I have towed with three Omegas, all petrol-engined automatics - a 2.0 litre, then a 2.5 and now a 2.6. We swear by them - we used to think Volvos were good, but these have been better. But then, a couple of years back, after I had sung their praises, my brother bought a diesel-engined Omega and had endless problems with it, so I suppose there is always the odd duff example, whatever the model. I'm just sorry that they are not being produced any more - when we change this one, we will have to choose something else!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We used to tow an Luner Delta 560/5 with a 2.0 litre Omega Estate - a bit underpowered, but use the gears wisely and no problems. Very stable outfit at about 90% match - vans were much lighter then!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts