Vauxhall Zafira GSI Turbo

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
We would be grateful if someone could give us some advice with regards to the suitability of the above as a tow car. We currently drive a Zafira 1.8 Elegance with which we tow a 2004 Bailey Pageant Moselle and were looking to buy a GSI Turbo as we like the practicality of the Zafira, especially with 2 children. We have however received conflicting advice from both main dealers and an independent garage about towing with such a vehicle.

The specification of the GSI seems to confirm that it would be suitable with 200ps of power and 250Nm of torque delivered low down in the rev range. Similarly the kerb weight would represent an 86.5% match against the 1,285kg MTPLM of our 'van. Also the GSI Turbo has the highest towing ability of all Zafiras according to the manufacturers literature at 1500kg. Two main dealers have advised against towing a caravan with the GSI Turbo as the additional weight would put extra strain on the turbo potentially resulting in damage, whereas one main dealer and an independent garage, with Vauxhall experience, have advised that it should not be a problem. The Camping and Caravanning Club have also said that it should not cause a problem but who is right?

We note from the motoring section of Practical Caravan magazine that most of the vehicles recommended are turbo diesels, so what is the difference between a turbo powered petrol engine and a turbo powered diesel engine as far as towing is concerned.

We hope that someone can give us some sound advice so that we can make an informed decision.

Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 2.0 Turbo is quite suitable for towing. It's the same engine as in the Vectra so the Zafira is not the only application. The only thing I would point out is that the Zafira GSI has a specific rear bumper with a low skirt requiring a cut-out for a towbar which spoils the appearance a bit. I don't know whether this is something that would disturb you.

Sep 24, 2005
Visit site
The 2.0 Turbo is quite suitable for towing. It's the same engine as in the Vectra so the Zafira is not the only application. The only thing I would point out is that the Zafira GSI has a specific rear bumper with a low skirt requiring a cut-out for a towbar which spoils the appearance a bit. I don't know whether this is something that would disturb you.
I have just fitted (yesterday ) an invisible towbar to my 2001 Zafira GSI. To my delight NO cutting of the rear bumper was necessary hat so ever. The bar I chose was from Westfalia.

Adrian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts