Vauxhall Zafira Tourer not rated to tow??.

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
With regard to the service stamps, a lot of cars now have service life of 20 k miles or 2 years.
Still- I wouldn't want to purchase without it. I guess we could do ourselves but I have heard horror stories of warranties not being worth the paper they are written on (small print etc) so not keen to entirely rely on that.

Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
If I were buying a used car I'd run a Car Vertical (or similar) check, to identify any previous accident damage, mileage discrepancies, theft, import history etc.

Good idea.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You need to ask for independent check prior to buying vehicle. They should be replacing tyres. The tyres may have just scrapped through a MOT, but may require replacing within the next 2- 3000 miles. Reasonable tyres on any 4x4 are not cheap for obvious reasons.

On a previous vehicle the front tyres were low tread,but within 4mm and rear tyres brand new budget tyres. The front tyres were replaced by myself shortly after purchase. The rear tyres had to be replaced when the front premium tyres were hardly worn although all tyres had done approximately the same mileage.

Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
You need to ask for independent check prior to buying vehicle. They should be replacing tyres. The tyres may have just scrapped through a MOT, but may require replacing within the next 2- 3000 miles. Reasonable tyres on any 4x4 are not cheap for obvious reasons.

On a previous vehicle the front tyres were low tread,but within 4mm and rear tyres brand new budget tyres. The front tyres were replaced by myself shortly after purchase. The rear tyres had to be replaced when the front premium tyres were hardly worn although all tyres had done approximately the same mileage.
Thanks @Buckman Sounds like more economical to put decent tyres on then, even though they are pricier.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks @Buckman Sounds like more economical to put decent tyres on then, even though they are pricier.
If you are going to be towing through winter I would have a set of All Seasons with the Three Peaks Mountain Symbol. The difference they make is surprising. We live at the bottom of a slope and were the only ones able to drive out on day 1 of the winter snow, plus they are good throughout the year. But that's a decision for later.

Reactions: Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
When I got my pre-loved, used, second hand, one careful driver, car last year with just over 30k miles on it they'd obviously had to put some new tyres on the front because they looked like - well new. They were a budget brand I'd never heard of. With just another 10k on them they have not worn that well in comparison to the usual mid range tyres I usually get. You get what you pay for I think.

Never ever bothered with all season tyres but we all make our own choices.

Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
If you are going to be towing through winter I would have a set of All Seasons with the Three Peaks Mountain Symbol. The difference they make is surprising. We live at the bottom of a slope and were the only ones able to drive out on day 1 of the winter snow, plus they are good throughout the year. But that's a decision for later.
So do you use these even throughout the summer?

Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
When I got my pre-loved, used, second hand, one careful driver, car last year with just over 30k miles on it they'd obviously had to put some new tyres on the front because they looked like - well new. They were a budget brand I'd never heard of. With just another 10k on them they have not worn that well in comparison to the usual mid range tyres I usually get. You get what you pay for I think.

Never ever bothered with all season tyres but we all make our own choices.
I guess we could ask the dealer to put some mid range ones on but to be honest I am not sure we really know enough to know if they have done that!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Re the Outlander option. I had the Peugeot 4008. Like the Citroen C-Cross. Same body (nearly) but a different engine. Possibly the Pug engine is more refined.

Mine was a good tow car. Not a ‘proper’ 4x4 but enough to get you out of problems The 7 seats are a joke. The back ones may work for small children. I put mine in the loft.

Also, consider a Volvo V70 mine was a great tow car.

John

PS. Here is an example with lower mileage than you were looking at and much much cheaper. (just as an idea, or reference).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I fitted Knokian weatherproof, all season, but although they were good, I decided to go back to Hankook K115 summer tyres as where I live the council clear the roads quiet well, in the winter.
My car got Hankook K125 Summer tyres so far seem to be okay

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We all seems to have our favourite brands and types of tyres. Over 50 years of driving I must have tried many different makes and types and apart from the actual life I've gotten out of them I haven't been able to notice any difference in performance vis road holding.

I've driven in many different weather conditions from snow, ice, flooded roads, poor road surfaces and still can't say that one make was any better than the other.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We all seems to have our favourite brands and types of tyres. Over 50 years of driving I must have tried many different makes and types and apart from the actual life I've gotten out of them I haven't been able to notice any difference in performance vis road holding.

I've driven in many different weather conditions from snow, ice, flooded roads, poor road surfaces and still can't say that one make was any better than the other.
Only tyre I noticed a difference was Michelin Latitude tyres on a 1996 Toyota 4 runner and they made a difference on roadholding in the wet. Later when I had 2005 Jeep I fitted them again and did not like them on the Jeep in the wet It does seem that brand of tyres and brand of car can go together or not like one another.

On our current Jeep we have Continentals and are happy with them in dry, wet or snow weather.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I fitted Knokian weatherproof, all season, but although they were good, I decided to go back to Hankook K115 summer tyres as where I live the council clear the roads quiet well, in the winter.
The purpose of a winter tyre is not just to get you through snow and ice, but to reduce braking distance at temperatures approaching zero or below, even on dry roads.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When I had my Peugeot 4008. It came with 19 inch low profiles. These were not conjusive with good towing. I got hold of a set of the standard wheels, 16 inch I think. With standard profile tyres. Much better towing. The problem was storing. A set of rims with tyres takes up so much room.

So if anyone is looking for a set of summer and winter wheels. Bare this in mind.

John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When I had my Peugeot 4008. It came with 19 inch low profiles. These were not conjusive with good towing. I got hold of a set of the standard wheels, 16 inch I think. With standard profile tyres. Much better towing. The problem was storing. A set of rims with tyres takes up so much room.

So if anyone is looking for a set of summer and winter wheels. Bare this in mind.

John

Your statement surprises me. Normally low profile tyres have more lateral stiffness and that is beneficial as far as overall stability of the outfit is concerned.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your statement surprises me. Normally low profile tyres have more lateral stiffness and that is beneficial as far as overall stability of the outfit is concerned.
As a matter of interest, are narrow tyres better in snow than wide tyres?

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
As a matter of interest, are narrow tyres better in snow than wide tyres?

That's a question I've often wondered. We see black and white photos of "Mr Average" driving his cross-ply shod Ford Anglia through thick snow covered British roads in the 1960's yet in the 21st Century roads come to a standstill with only a thin covering of snow as the wider tyres of (heavier) modern cars just spinning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's a question I've often wondered. We see black and white photos of "Mr Average" driving his cross-ply shod Ford Anglia through thick snow covered British roads in the 1960's yet in the 21st Century roads come to a standstill with only a thin covering of snow as the wider tyres of (heavier) modern cars just spinning.
In 1981 we drive back from Leicester in snow. At times only lane 3 on M5 was open. On the M4 tiwrds Bath junction we made good progress despite many stuck cars and lorries. As we left the M4 we made it up the slip road to the Bath junction but were flagged down by police and told the A46 into Bath was closed. Large motorway snow ploughs were stuck under a blanket of snow, and were being dug out by JCBs. We spent a few hours in the M way services depot being treated drinks and soup. At the same time Queen Elizabeth travelling back to London turned up unannounced at a hotel in Old Sodbury due to road conditions.

Our jalopy was a 1.8 litre Marina Estate carrying two children, a Labrador and Red Setter plus Christmas presents. Tyres were some firm of Town and Country with nice chunky tread. The next year we moved to Dartmoor and the Marina with that type of tyre served faithfully whatever the weather.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Regarding stability, (yaw), the low profile were OK. It was the pitching and the lack of compliance that was the problem. Very uncomfortable.

The low profile did not make it dangerous to tow. But the standard tyres were a big improvement.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
That was me - and a Triumph Herald and Morris Marina. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts