Vauxhaull Zafira

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a new caravan, maybe a bailey or an avondale, but my concern at this point is do i change my car??

I am currently driving a Vauxhaull Zafira 1.8.

Is this a good towing car??

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I presume you haven't got the new Zafira but the previous model. The 1.8 has a 1300kg max. towload (1200kg if it's an automatic), which is about average for that size of car.

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
regarding question of towability with a zafira , i tow 2001 4 berth bailey ranger with a 1.8 elegance and was the recommended model to use by my vauxhall dealer who said the 2.0 diesel was not adequate with a lower towing figure and nose weight

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
Right change of plan, have now flogged the Zafira.

Have bought a Sterling Europa 540.

Now need new car, any idea's would be much appreciated.

Also why do some cars have a kerbweight of i.e 1500Kg, but are able to tow much more, confused a bit with that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's really difficult to suggest something without knowing what else you need it for. Children? Grandchildren? 4x4 (forgive me for typing such an emotive combination of characters)? MPV? New? Used? Petrol? Diesel?

Per the Swift website, the MTPLM of the 540 is a little under 1500kg. Using the 85% guide, your car should be around 1750kg. That's quite a lot of car. MPV or 4x4 with at least 2.2L diesel would do. A 5.0L VW Touareg would be fun. Models like the Mondeo/Passat/407 etc might be a bit light.

If you set out what your needs are, you will get many recommendations from others on this site.

Lutz can give you the full story on kerbweight vs towing limit if he's about - he's been quiet lately.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The reason why I have gone quiet is that I'm enjoying offroading in Arabia at the moment and therefore have little opportunity of logging into the internet. However, I'll be back at the end of next week.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Given the weight of your caravan, then you really need a large car such as am MPV or 4x4. Not sure how heavy a Volvo or Merc estate is, but that's the size of car that you will need. At least 2.2L diesel or 2.0L petrol, with turbo.

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
Given the weight of your caravan, then you really need a large car such as am MPV or 4x4. Not sure how heavy a Volvo or Merc estate is, but that's the size of car that you will need. At least 2.2L diesel or 2.0L petrol, with turbo.
Thanks Mike & Lutz, info much appreciated.

Proably going to go with a Large MPV Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDi.

Thanks again Neil.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts