Vehicle battery draining

May 1, 2011
Visit site
My problem is that the main vehicle battery (ie not leisure battery) of my motorhome goes flat after 10 to 14 days standing/non-use.
It will start immediately on jumpstart. I had it checked by an auto-electician who said battery was fine but could not explain why it was draining . He suggested turning off the alarm system - which I did but no difference. I have small solar charger plugged in which I'm told should deal with any small drain eg from radio. The vehicle is a 2001 VW Compass Calypso. Any suggestions as to resolving this problem greatly received. Shelby.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
First thing to do is to find is what current if any is being drained from the vehicle (starter) battery.
I would advise you to disconnect the battery earth lead and connect an Ammeter in series with the battery terminal and the disconnected lead. The Ammeter will show what if any current is being drained.
You can then use this knowledge to trace where the current is going to.
Is it an original battery? How was it tested?

Hope this helps.

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your interest. Been away. Recently followed another suggestion to disconnect battery then reconnect after 14 days - did so but it wouldn't turn over then went flat afer a few goes. I'm assuming it's actually a dud battery in spite of what mechanic said. Now looking for best price new battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts