Vehicle size driving in Europe

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As I mentioned before, you will presumably be travelling with a Canadian, not a UK or an EU licence, so we don't know what you are entitled to drive. Canadian categories may be quite different to ours but if you are allowed to drive your outfit in Canada, you will also be allowed to do so here.
You mention air brakes. Does your outfit have them and if so, how are they activated? If it's not automatic, you may run into problems with them in Europe. If I recall correctly from when I lived in the USA, which I presume has similar technical provisions to Canada, the trailer will be additionally secured to the towcar by means of safety chains. In Europe the brakes on a trailer over 750kg and under 3500kg must be automatically applied if the trailer becomes detached from the towcar. For this purpose, we have a breakaway cable that activates the handbrake. I don't know how this would work with chains.
Under the Vienna Convention, the OP can use his car for 6 months as a visitor - in the old days it would be 6 months limit in each country visited but not sure how the EU limits visitors.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't want you bring false hope, but as Buckman also suggested, I believe the issuing of a UK licence would also follow your local dates of issue, and as such if yours predated 1st Jan 1997, then you would automatically receive BE.

It is also my understanding that as a visitor to the country you could continue to drive any vehicle you were entitled to do so at home, and that would include trailers. But there are limits regarding how long that grace was allowed.

I did make this point earlier about trailer widths. Up until 2010 the Maximum width allowed was 2.3m, but it was raised to 2.55m

On the assumption the above is correct, then provided your home licence allowed you to drive your outfit then you could continue to do so in the UK.

I should also point out that the B+ or BE limitation is presently under review, with the strong likelihood the standard entitlement will be expanded to include the BE provision. However it was due to be introduced on Nov 15th 2021, but it has been delayed. If it is implemented then you don't have a problem. But until it is actually enacted we have to continue to comply with the present limitations.

I cannot confirm all these details are correct, which is why you do need to seek official replies from the relevant authorities, and not rely on the information given on an anonymised forum.

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
I didn't want you bring false hope, but as Buckman also suggested, I believe the issuing of a UK licence would also follow your local dates of issue, and as such if yours predated 1st Jan 1997, then you would automatically receive BE.

It is also my understanding that as a visitor to the country you could continue to drive any vehicle you were entitled to do so at home, and that would include trailers. But there are limits regarding how long that grace was allowed.

I did make this point earlier about trailer widths. Up until 2010 the Maximum width allowed was 2.3m, but it was raised to 2.55m

On the assumption the above is correct, then provided your home licence allowed you to drive your outfit then you could continue to do so in the UK.

I should also point out that the B+ or BE limitation is presently under review, with the strong likelihood the standard entitlement will be expanded to include the BE provision. However it was due to be introduced on Nov 15th 2021, but it has been delayed. If it is implemented then you don't have a problem. But until it is actually enacted we have to continue to comply with the present limitations.

I cannot confirm all these details are correct, which is why you do need to seek official replies from the relevant authorities, and not rely on the information given on an anonymised forum.
That sounds encouraging. It would make sense to allow visitors to drive what they can legally drive back home.
Does anyone know of an email address I can contact with the UK govt to pose these questions?
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Until recently, UK law banned trailers over 7'6" wide being towed by cars but we always allowed foreign visitors to bring wider caravans behind their cars under the Convention.
The Convention is not an automatic carte-blanche to allow any vehicle registered elsewhere to be used in any other country. The old width (and current length) restrictions that apply in the UK are valid just as much to foreign visitors, but foreign registered vehicles outside the limits are generally tolerated in the UK. That doesn't mean that they are legal, though and entry into the country could be denied. Similarly, A-frame towing which is tolerated in the UK is a definite no-no in most other countries. Spain is well known to have specific requirements that they enforce for foreign visitors, too. German authorities will also bar vehicles that they consider technically unsound even though these vehicles may be perfectly legal elsewhere.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and JTQ
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That sounds encouraging. It would make sense to allow visitors to drive what they can legally drive back home.
Does anyone know of an email address I can contact with the UK govt to pose these questions?
Thanks
Don't expect UK authorities to make a definitive statement regarding driving licence entitlement in other European countries, though.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Under the Vienna Convention, the OP can use his car for 6 months as a visitor - in the old days it would be 6 months limit in each country visited but not sure how the EU limits visitors.
The Vienna Convention doesn't limit the period of use of a vehicle in any particular country. The 6 month limit is purely a fiscal limit that the countries themselves impose. If the vehicle remains in any one country for longer it must be reregistered there and is liable to vehicle tax there. The EU has nothing to do with limits that are set for taxation purposes. That is up to each individual country.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks
The chances of a reply to your email is probably next to nothing. They don't even respond to emails sent locally most of the time. Phoning is a waste of time as you can be on the phone for up to an hour or more before the phone is answered. Your Canadian driving licence should be fine in this country. Your biggest concern would probably be insurance.

Reactions: JTQ
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The chances of a reply to your email is probably next to nothing. They don't even respond to emails sent locally most of the time. Phoning is a waste of time as you can be on the phone for up to an hour or more before the phone is answered. Your Canadian driving licence should be fine in this country. Your biggest concern would probably be insurance.
If Canadian insurance companies are anything like US ones, insurance shouldn't be a problem. When I took my UK registered car over to the States for a couple of months and insured it there, they didn't even want to know the registration number of my car, but only asked for the VIN number. Of course, one would have to inform them that the vehicles (car and caravan) will be overseas for a considerable time period.
Do trailers (caravans) in Canada have to have their own number plate, tax and insurance? Note that the caravan must be covered by third party insurance in Europe. If the system the same as in the UK whereby it is covered by the insurance on the towcar, it would be illegal to leave the caravan unhitched on a public road.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If Canadian insurance companies are anything like US ones, insurance shouldn't be a problem. When I took my UK registered car over to the States for a couple of months and insured it there, they didn't even want to know the registration number of my car, but only asked for the VIN number. Of course, one would have to inform them that the vehicles (car and caravan) will be overseas for a considerable time period.
Do trailers (caravans) in Canada have to have their own number plate, tax and insurance? Note that the caravan must be covered by third party insurance in Europe. If the system the same as in the UK whereby it is covered by the insurance on the towcar, it would be illegal to leave the caravan unhitched on a public road.
It's not illegal to leave a caravan unhitched on a public road in the UK - it's not then a motor vehicle so doesn't need insurance - it must however be lit at night even where there's streetlights.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's not illegal to leave a caravan unhitched on a public road in the UK - it's not then a motor vehicle so doesn't need insurance - it must however be lit at night even where there's streetlights.
Yes, but Blackwatch has said that he intends to tour over on the other side of the Channel as well and there every vehicle on a public highway must be covered by third party insurance. It’s irrelevant whether it’s a motor vehicle or not. A caravan is still a vehicle.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Somewhat different to the police advice to me when the van access to my home was blocked. Told me I had to leave the car attached, which in our case runs counter to an insurance condition post break in where at home it must be garaged. Luckily they got offending car removed.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes, but Blackwatch has said that he intends to tour over on the other side of the Channel as well and there every vehicle on a public highway must be covered by third party insurance. It’s irrelevant whether it’s a motor vehicle or not. A caravan is still a vehicle.
But in the UK, only motor vehicles are subject to mandatory insurance - cycles, horse-drawn vehicles, mobility scooters, etc don't need it here.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
But in the UK, only motor vehicles are subject to mandatory insurance - cycles, horse-drawn vehicles, mobility scooters, etc don't need it here.
Perhaps you misunderstood my post, but I was specifically referring to use on the Continent where third party coverage is required for all vehicles.

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses. I contacted the Canadian Automobile Association who issues International Driving Permits. They stamp the IDP with B,D & E for my Canadian license so I should be able to tow whatever weight the vehicle is allowed to as long as the trailer doesn't exceed 3500 kgs. This makes things a lot easier. I would rather plan my trip by leap frogging from one camp site to another in the more crowded areas then leave the camper for a few days doing day trips from the camp site. I'm hoping in the more remote areas, like Norway and Finland I will be able to boondock more.
The 6 month duration limit has me thinking a bit and will need to do more research on this. I would prefer a longer trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 6 month duration limit has me thinking a bit and will need to do more research on this. I would prefer a longer trip.
Don't forget that the 6 months is per country. Once you are in the Schengen zone there are no border controls, so overstaying in any one country won't attract attention unless it is conspicuously for too long.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
Don't forget that the 6 months is per country. Once you are in the Schengen zone there are no border controls, so overstaying in any one country won't attract attention unless it is conspicuously for too long.
From what I'm reading I'm only allowed to stay within the Schengen zone for 90 days in a 180 day period. I will have to apply for a visa. This might be more complicated than the driving license!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
From what I'm reading I'm only allowed to stay within the Schengen zone for 90 days in a 180 day period. I will have to apply for a visa. This might be more complicated than the driving license!
The 90 day in any 180 day period applies to a Schengen visa. If you want to stay longer, you will need a national visa for the respective country within the Schengen zone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts