Velcro pad removal

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Just upgraded our van last week and took it away for weekend. As only using lightweight awning, removed some existing velcro pads from side of van and this has left the hardened glue base which looks unsightly. Is petrol on a rag (followed by polish)the best way to remove this residue or any other methods known to others. Look forward to suggestions.

Thanks

Graeme

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Graeme

Whatever you do don't use petrol ans this is a serious solvent and would possibly dissolve the outer skin of your caravan. The best thing to use would be white spirit or turps, In a previous thread it was asked if it would damage the plastic or GRP sides and theanswer was simple and factual "It comes in a plastic bottle" and for those out there that are about to tell me that there are many various types of plastic , white spirit or turps shouldn't damage the finish on your van, you could always try it first on an inconspicuous part if the van

Tom

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Graeme.

I had the same problem and found some stuff called stick stuff remover ,I sprayed this on and left it for about half an hour and it peeled off ok

Good Luck .Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lovly stuff the gunge from adhesive!!

But I say do not worry!

Use Meths, get a small rag and give it a good dose of meths and dab it onto the gunge and let it soak for a few seconds then rub with another cloth soaked in meths (not too much as it will be a waste) and it will remove the gunge and residue. DO NOT SMOKE or work near a fire source or you and the van might go Pooof. Do this in a well ventilated area.

Please be aware if you have put a wax or polish on your van the area you have applied the meths will be without any wax or polish.

It does work and will not damage the van.

Rob

P.S Keep away from any transfers.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Guys,

Thanks for all the advice I had hoped to do this to-day but only managed to get the van out of storage and washed and cleaned properly inside and out (dealer said this was part of the after sales service, my backside) then I had 3 cars to wash and ran out of daylight!!! Will try to do next weekend or failing that weekend after when away for the October break in the van. Am sure one or other or combination of all will work!

Cheers

Graeme

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts