Very close to giving up.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well folks. We are seriously thinking of quitting caravanning.

you may recall we suffered moron damage to our caravan last October. it took the Caravan club insurance a ridiculous amount of time to get things organised, and consequently we were booked in for repair in February. Covid put paid to that and we were next booked in for 18th May. Two days ago the dealer rang us to confirm our date and make sure we arrive on time. The girl stated at the time they were seriously overbooked and we may need to allow them a few more days to complete. She also said we were booked to receive the caravan back on 25th May. On the strength of that, I paid the balance of our holiday booking yesterday, and also booked our other trips over the summer.

Today, out of the blue the repairers rang me to state their body man had gone off sick and our booking was being put back to the end of July. She said that her body man would be off for a week and that she was having to ring everyone and put their bookings forward. When I suggested that she put me forward a week I was on the receiving end of the verbals. This is a massive firm and they have a lot of body men and technicians. I explained politely that I had only just paid for our holiday on the strength of information given to me and was snapped at again with "Its not my fault is it, do you want the booking or not".

The truth is, and I have spoken to their MD now that the body man isnt off sick, they didnt come back after furlough. They I asked? Yes two of them. Well they knew that when they rang me two days ago and admitted they were overbooked.

In short, I am sick to death of the caravan industry. From the bull we are fed by companies that simply dont care, from the rubbish thats passed at factory when they throw these things together. The inexorable wait times to get things repaired, and parts that take weeks to arrive. Disgustingly inflated prices and everything else that makes this the worst cowboy industry in existence.

By the end of all this, it will have taken almost 12 months to get it repaired. Our heart has gone out of it. We have had to let our grandson down, my wife is heartbroken and I am just sick to my stomach of the whole caravan industry. We havent made a final decision, but I suspect it will be the end for us.

Sorry for the rant guys, we are gutted.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm really sorry to read this Thingy - in some sectors atitudes like that would not be thinkable - competition would put them out of business - if it were a car: you'd likely get an extended courtasy vehicle, or a home - alternate accomodation. (but in either case no such delay.)
I hope that the extra time may somehow be reduced, or is managable for you - and that you are able to enjoy your caravan again with family asap: we're all ready for some light now.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I fully sympathise with just how frustrated you are and the reasons for it. I have similar stories but not on major repairs. However, for balance, after having a wheel detachment in France, I put up for a while with the unbelievable incompetence of the French. (I could write a book as they caused even more damage). Also the equally incompetent German breakdown insurance. But on my eventual repatriation, the van was returned by a professional, British, transport company. The Caravan Club (Davit), insurance were faultless as were Chipping Sodburry Caravans doing about £11,000 worth of work.

Stick with it.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to read this Thingy.
I understand your sense of rage at the attitudes of companies that are supposed to be providing a service, but failing miserably, and compounding their failure by being economical with the truth.
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face though.
Are there any alternative arrangements that can be made for the lost holiday?
If you're towing your caravan with a 4x4, sometimes there's not a great difference in price between the cost of towing plus pitch fees and the cost of static caravan hire.
I sympathise with you, but I hope that you'll feel differently when your caravan is repaired and ready to use again.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why don't you take it up with the insurance company. Generally insurance work is the cherry on top so why this massive firm is being so difficult is beyond belief. As far as I am aware many caravan workshops continued to work during the lockdown. As for the body person being off sick that is not your concern!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry to read of the events, and how frustrating it is for you. I have been through similar situations with important pieces of equipment (not caravans).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thingy, I was in a similar situation a few years back, I found a crack in the rear panel, I went to the dealer, where we had purchased it, they had gone out of buisiness, contacted a dealer, near Bicster, and they said they had too much work on but, Buy a new van from us and we will take your van as PX. No thanks.
I contacted this company, https://www.directleisurerepairs.co.uk/ and they agreed to take the warranty work on. When they sent the photos I sent them to Coachman, Coachman agreed to take the caravan and repair it them selfs.
But we were ready to jack it all in. Talk to Direct leisure, very helpfull.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thingy, you have been very patient and made a very generous allowance for Covid.
Can your Insurers intervene and accelerate the repairs?
Will your Insurers or Repairer provide a free hire caravan for your holidays?
I can’t remember how it got damaged. Was it another party’s fault.?
Most sites have been very understanding and I am sure will be willing to change dates for . I appreciate date changing may not suit you though.
Hang in there, Covid has caused no end of disruption and collateral damage. Things will improve😃😃😃

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that this is probably nowhere near unique. The simple fact is that the parts supply by most firms is hopeless and there is insufficient capacity in the trade to actually do the work when the parts do arrive. The makers need to invest in parts supply and we need more firms to join in the industry or the existing ones to seriously increase capacity.
Generally speaking the CAMH insurance is excellent and very prompt at getting the repair authorised but after that they like all other insurers are in the hands of the Caravan builders ad the repairers. Possibly the bigger ones could help by setting up their own repair shops in the same way some motor insurers have done, but that would still not get past the parts delays.

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thingy hang in there and talk to the insurance company, ask for compensation for missed booked holidays. I take it you didn't pick the company to repair your van so it is the insurance companies fault that you are being messed about.

Why when something goes wrong Covid takes the blame, it has not stopped the health service from working even garages are working still full time with no problems.

Trevor

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thingy hang in there and talk to the insurance company, ask for compensation for missed booked holidays. I take it you didn't pick the company to repair your van so it is the insurance companies fault that you are being messed about.

Why when something goes wrong Covid takes the blame, it has not stopped the health service from working even garages are working still full time with no problems.

Trevor
To be fair, most hospital departments have effectively stopped working as staff, equipment and wards were repurposed to cope with Covid - try getting appointments for Cardiac or Oncology, the waiting lists are massive despite the risk of death while-u-wait.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
To be fair, most hospital departments have effectively stopped working as staff, equipment and wards were repurposed to cope with Covid - try getting appointments for Cardiac or Oncology, the waiting lists are massive despite the risk of death while-u-wait.
I can say with first hand experience our hospital has mainly dealt with Covid, cardiology , oncology, maternity and A&E. Not the broken nail brigade. People like me awaiting Orthopaedic knee replacement will still be waiting this time next year 🥲🥲🥲

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In Milton Keynes , we have had our fair share of covid, but the hospital has carried on with Cardiology, doing well, last year I had Several different Heart scans an echo graphs, and both my wife and myself have had yearly follow up scan s only two weeks ago.
My Goddaughter is an ICU nurse, in MKUH, and 3 weeks ago, several of the nurses, they were sent home as they were over numbered in the unit. Due to low number of patients in ICU.
I think we are in a lucky area maybe.
Thanks to All, NHS staff.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not at our hospital as I was seen in oncology within two weeks of initial examination and within a month I was being treated. Finished treatment 1st Jan. I guess a lot depends where you live.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not at our hospital as I was seen in oncology within two weeks of initial examination and within a month I was being treated. Finished treatment 1st Jan. I guess a lot depends where you live.
A Postcode lottery today is a concern. The South West has served me well

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife worked as a Nurse in the NHS for over forty years she is not surprised how quickly people forget the past year and return to 'normal'. In the past year people have been stretched in every way trying to cope with the onslaught of patients needing their help.......... As both staff and the hospitals themselves return to pre-Covid then this will take time, people who have more urgent needs should be seen sooner and those same staff are dedicated to the the people who are placed in their care.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thingy, I suppose you could always go back,to camping, until the caravan is ready, inflatable air beds, the chairs would be the same, a nice tent from Go Outdoors, a nice Porta pottie for night times. Hey no need to waste your bookings.
All good fun wh.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Oh Thingy what a mess, take your time on making your decision, hope you make the right one, but I secretly believe when you do eventually use the van again you will fall back in love, good luck and dont be to hasty.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thingy I don"t know what happen to your caravan..
Before ending your time caravanning think about the Pro"s and Cons .
This period is only short term where as your caravanning life is long term , a way of life which you will miss - speaking from experience , finishing a couple of times but returning to enjoy it again.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Well folks. We are seriously thinking of quitting caravanning.

you may recall we suffered moron damage to our caravan last October. it took the Caravan club insurance a ridiculous amount of time to get things organised, and consequently we were booked in for repair in February. Covid put paid to that and we were next booked in for 18th May. Two days ago the dealer rang us to confirm our date and make sure we arrive on time. The girl stated at the time they were seriously overbooked and we may need to allow them a few more days to complete. She also said we were booked to receive the caravan back on 25th May. On the strength of that, I paid the balance of our holiday booking yesterday, and also booked our other trips over the summer.

Today, out of the blue the repairers rang me to state their body man had gone off sick and our booking was being put back to the end of July. She said that her body man would be off for a week and that she was having to ring everyone and put their bookings forward. When I suggested that she put me forward a week I was on the receiving end of the verbals. This is a massive firm and they have a lot of body men and technicians. I explained politely that I had only just paid for our holiday on the strength of information given to me and was snapped at again with "Its not my fault is it, do you want the booking or not".

The truth is, and I have spoken to their MD now that the body man isnt off sick, they didnt come back after furlough. They I asked? Yes two of them. Well they knew that when they rang me two days ago and admitted they were overbooked.

In short, I am sick to death of the caravan industry. From the bull we are fed by companies that simply dont care, from the rubbish thats passed at factory when they throw these things together. The inexorable wait times to get things repaired, and parts that take weeks to arrive. Disgustingly inflated prices and everything else that makes this the worst cowboy industry in existence.

By the end of all this, it will have taken almost 12 months to get it repaired. Our heart has gone out of it. We have had to let our grandson down, my wife is heartbroken and I am just sick to my stomach of the whole caravan industry. We havent made a final decision, but I suspect it will be the end for us.

Sorry for the rant guys, we are gutted.
Fully understand your anger, put it down to the ups and downs of life!
I've had some crap service over the years from all sorts of company's, keep a cool head and manage your way through it.
As far as our grandson, he's happy to simply spend time with Grandma and Gran Gran.

TRENDING THREADS