Very close to giving up.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To be fair, most hospital departments have effectively stopped working as staff, equipment and wards were repurposed to cope with Covid - try getting appointments for Cardiac or Oncology, the waiting lists are massive despite the risk of death while-u-wait.
Our hospital have managed to keep most services going albeit at a lower level. Since Covid numbers came down quite sharply in April the mainstream activities have ramped up. Even our daughter has been given a quick appointment at the Bristol Dental Hopsital for some complex tooth’s-jaw procedure but it’s not an urgent case.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
And today, unbelievably, some good news. The repairers have rung and the van is done. On the same date as originally planned. It begs the question why then did they have to cause such upset and stress.

Cornwall. Here we come! Lock up yer daughters, Thingy is on the road again.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
And today, unbelievably, some good news. The repairers have rung and the van is done. On the same date as originally planned. It begs the question why then did they have to cause such upset and stress.

That's brilliant news!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Excellent news, not giving up now????
Tip......... Dont bother to take an awning to Cornwall!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Thingy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

That fantastic news

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well you just knew it. Arrived at the dealers this morning to collect the caravan. They gave us the keys and told us to go inspect the work, then come back to the office to do the paperwork. Even on approaching the caravan I got this feeling something wasnt right. Maybe just distrust of the dealer, and I have many reasons for that. However, without even going inside to check, I could see that the van was aboslutely wet through inside.

Whatever they did installing the new panoramic roof has been a disaster. The front table had standing water from one side to the other. The curtains were wet through. The front drawers had puddles in them, both seat/beds drenched and water in both bed boxes, the front console with all the electric points saturated as are the carpets, and the area where all the heating equipment is. Front blind water stained. Even with the cracked panoramic roof this caravan was dry, and has been over winter.

To say we are absolutely gutted would be an understatement. My wife is distraught and for myself, I dont care if I ever see the blasted thing again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well you just knew it. Arrived at the dealers this morning to collect the caravan. They gave us the keys and told us to go inspect the work, then come back to the office to do the paperwork. Even on approaching the caravan I got this feeling something wasnt right. Maybe just distrust of the dealer, and I have many reasons for that. However, without even going inside to check, I could see that the van was aboslutely wet through inside.

Whatever they did installing the new panoramic roof has been a disaster. The front table had standing water from one side to the other. The curtains were wet through. The front drawers had puddles in them, both seat/beds drenched and water in both bed boxes, the front console with all the electric points saturated as are the carpets, and the area where all the heating equipment is. Front blind water stained. Even with the cracked panoramic roof this caravan was dry, and has been over winter.

To say we are absolutely gutted would be an understatement. My wife is distraught and for myself, I dont care if I ever see the blasted thing again.
I’m really sorry to hear that outcome. I am totally amazed at how a dealership can allow such a thing to happen and then ask the customer to come and collect their caravan. Had they no knowledge of its internal state? I wish you luck in sorting this one out.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
What a way to treat customers!
So sorry that you've been let down so badly, Thingy.
They've made a bad situation even worse.
I'm sure that our forum legal eagles will offer lots of helpful advice on what to do next, so I'll just commiserate with you and hope that something can be salvaged from this sorry mess.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely gutted for you.
With all the resultant damage, I’d be asking when the money will hit my bank seeing that they have just bought it from you.

Kev

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely gutted for you and your wife
But did the dealer check the caravan before they gave you your keys and said all work had been completed, I hope something can be done

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, to start with, they suggested it couldnt be their work, it must be leaking somewhere else and the water running forwards. Almost as if I had known and was trying to pull a fast one. Firstly I calmly explained that as the van was under warranty, I wouldnt need to do that, I would have just booked in for both insurance and warranty work. When I had then finished calmly explaining what I was not, I exploded and gave him both barrels.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, to start with, they suggested it couldnt be their work, it must be leaking somewhere else and the water running forwards. Almost as if I had known and was trying to pull a fast one. Firstly I calmly explained that as the van was under warranty, I wouldnt need to do that, I would have just booked in for both insurance and warranty work. When I had then finished calmly explaining what I was not, I exploded and gave him both barrels.
Glad you gave them both barrels they certainly deserve it

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have just got off the phone to caravan club insurance, aka Devitt. They arent getting innolved in this beyond holding up the invoice until I pass satisfaction, but the insurers are saying its me vs dealer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just got off the phone to caravan club insurance, aka Devitt. They arent getting innolved in this beyond holding up the invoice until I pass satisfaction, but the insurers are saying its me vs dealer.
You could contact Which Legal Services which is free for the first discussion, then a payment for subsequent advise for a year. There may be grounds for rejecting the caravan but that still leaves you in a quandrary. Buy another caravan or not. A difficult decision.

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
No not disputing the claim at all. They sent me to this repairer, but they arent getting involved in this latest bit. All they will do is hold the payment to the workshop until everything is passed OK, including the damage today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No not disputing the claim at all. They sent me to this repairer, but they arent getting involved in this latest bit. All they will do is hold the payment to the workshop until everything is passed OK, including the damage today.
That's not quite what I meant.
Are the people who carried out the work still trying to say that none of this is their fault or do they accept that whatever they did is substandard?
Have they agreed to put matters right, including any further damage?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah, its currently being investigated as to the cause. They have said they will put matters right if its their fault. I have used the CAMC legal advice line, and the upshot is that if they deny its the panoramic roof, I have a fight. Now, despite the roof having been cracked inside and out, with the help of gaffer tape it has stayed dry all winter. The legal advice was that in the event of a fight, I would have to prove the van was dry until their work was done. She says myy evidence is more than acceptable.
1) The van is under warranty, I would have no need to sneak one in under the radar, just book it in at same time
2) It was serviced two weeks ago by an NCC workshop who will testify that the caravan was fine. In truth, I dont think there will be any doubt as to the cause, but forewarned is forearmed.

What I did learn from them is that they water tested the seal within 24 hours, I am told by other engineers including the NCC workshop i use that at least 5 days should be left the the sealant to cure. Id like Damians opinion on that one. I asked them also if they had used a pressure wash to water test it. Get this, they said no, a hosepipe, but then the van went to be washed and they use a pressure wash. A PRESSURE WASH on a caravan for gods sake, new sealant or not, its too fierce. If it turns out the roof isnt leaking, then I can only assume that some idiot with a pressure wash has blasted the front window seals and the water has sprayed in. Either way, its wasnt like that when they got it, and its a right mess now. We also took a whole raft of pics inside and out when we dropped it off to them.

Solicitor I spoke to via CAMC is adamant they have, under CRA 2015 been negligent, and that they have failed in their duty of care, and that supplementary damage has been caused by their negligence. I wish I could name and shame these people. I will of course be naming and shaming everywhere else.

The pic below is through the side window, this is before we unlocked the caravan.

f37f7126-9e36-4873-aef7-982b9d0fca24.jpg

Not as easy to see, but the water on the table had all run down the back. It doesnt show the probelm, but everything above, below and to either side is utterly drenched.

9fb26bcc-80ae-409a-9a86-c5f6939f00d7.jpg

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's easy to see that the table is covered in water Thingy, the reflections on top of the table show that it's wet even with the through the window picture.
The water ingress has obviously happened since the caravan was taken to this dealership, otherwise why wouldn't they have spotted it when they inspected their work after testing it but before the caravan was washed?
My money is on the use of the pressure washer.
For what it's worth, our Heki rooflight was caught in a strong gust of wind during our last outing of 2019.
We made a claim for a replacement Heki including fitting to the C&CC insurance, they agreed to it and when our local mobile approved service engineer did the job and submitted the invoice the claim was paid in full.
Next time out was in 2020, no leaks, no problems at all.
I replaced a rooflight with a mini Heki myself on an earlier caravan, following the instructions properly and carefully it would be hard to get it wrong, so I'm guessing that their fitter did the job but his work was undone by an idiot with a pressure washer.
I really understand why you'd like to name and shame, but the information would have to be taken down as soon as it appeared.
Any information that you decide to share privately is up to you 😉
It's best to keep names and blaming out of the public domain anyway, because if this issue has to be decided via a court judgement you could prejudice your own case by naming and shaming.
Good Luck, I hope that you get a good outcome 👍

Reactions: Thingy and JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: The company has just rung, caravan in workshop and they have water tested the seals around the new roof and its leaking like a sieve. So the story about them water testing it yesterday was another lie.

At least they have now admitted its their workmanship. I have now told them that they must fit a new roof, not refit this one and luckily they have one in stock for another customer that they have glibly assigned to me. What a company? I have insisted on a full and certified electrical inspection and informed them that if they allow the cushions and curtains to air dry, they better order and fit news ones, because they will smell damp. They need at least to be stripped down and dried properly. Further all other fabric and fittings must be inspected for staining and any signs of a stain, they will be replacing that too. Luckily this caravan is of the Smart HT construction so Im not too worried about any issues from water ingress further than staining, even the floor on this model is GRP. Beyond the leak itself and whether I will ever fully trust it again, my main concern is for the electrics and electronics.

Its now really a question of when and will we make Cornwall afterall. And what they are prepared to do to compensate me. Perhaps Ill be able to afford Polmanter when Ive got through with these jokers.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: The company has just rung, caravan in workshop and they have water tested the seals around the new roof and its leaking like a sieve. So the story about them water testing it yesterday was another lie.

At least they have now admitted its their workmanship. I have now told them that they must fit a new roof, not refit this one and luckily they have one in stock for another customer that they have glibly assigned to me. What a company? I have insisted on a full and certified electrical inspection and informed them that if they allow the cushions and curtains to air dry, they better order and fit news ones, because they will smell damp. They need at least to be stripped down and dried properly. Further all other fabric and fittings must be inspected for staining and any signs of a stain, they will be replacing that too. Luckily this caravan is of the Smart HT construction so Im not too worried about any issues from water ingress further than staining, even the floor on this model is GRP. Beyond the leak itself and whether I will ever fully trust it again, my main concern is for the electrics and electronics.

Its now really a question of when and will we make Cornwall afterall. And what they are prepared to do to compensate me. Perhaps Ill be able to afford Polmanter when Ive got through with these jokers.
it pity they cannot get you a replacement caravan so you can still make Cornwall

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts