Very Damp Elddis typhoon GT

May 22, 2022
Visit site
I was recently given an old 1995 Elddis Typhoon GT, that is going to be a project for nearby family holidays. I am lucky that the caravan was free and I can store it at no cost.

It does need a lot of work as the rear in the bathroom is very rotten. I am not in a rush and spending an hour an evening doing it up.

I have removed the wallpaper and the wooden boards and beams are completely rotten.

It seems pretty simple to me, of a sandwich of aluminium, polystyrene and 3mm ply with small batons. I will also remove the awning rail and reseal. My question is what products to use.

1. For binding/repairing awning rail

2.Bonding polystyrene to aluminium.

3. Bonding ply board to polystyrene and other wood.

What is the best way to remove polystyrene from aluminium wall and is it possible to replace the structural wood batons in pieces?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think repairing that caravan is going to cost a lot more moeny and time than it will ever be worth. Have you had the chassis checked for corrosion as any corrosion it is a non starter.
You may be better putting the money aside that you will be spending and buy something with a lot less damp. However that is your choice. LOL! 😏

May 22, 2022
Visit site
I think repairing that caravan is going to cost a lot more moeny and time than it will ever be worth. Have you had the chassis checked for corrosion as any corrosion it is a non starter.
You may be better putting the money aside that you will be spending and buy something with a lot less damp. However that is your choice. LOL! 😏
Thanks Buckman. My only real plan for it is to make it inhabitable, safe and clean and to take my family camping in it over weekends. I will not be towing it anywhere as I have a camping field that I can use, but the chassis seems in pretty good condition.

Walls around all the windows and doors in the front part of the caravan seem solid.

In theory, all I should need is some adhesives, wood beams and boards and polystyrene insulation? I did a few years boat building in my 20's, so hoping it's just a straight forward job. Hardest part so far has been removing the insulation from the aluminium wall.

Any recommendations on the materials and adhesives to use?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For sticking polystyrene and battens to the aluminium, and ply to polystyrene, use Sticks Like Sh*T.
For the awning rail, and any places where you want a waterproof seal. use Soudall Fixall.

Replacing the battens in pieces would be fine as long as they are glued and screwed at the joints, Gorilla wood glue.

May 22, 2022
Visit site
For sticking polystyrene and battens to the aluminium, and ply to polystyrene, use Sticks Like Sh*T.
For the awning rail, and any places where you want a waterproof seal. use Soudall Fixall.

Replacing the battens in pieces would be fine as long as they are glued and screwed at the joints, Gorilla wood glue.

Thank you Damian, I have added them to my Amazon basket. Do you know what soudall Fixall I should be using? I was also recommended Sikaflex?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Most of the jobs can be found with demonstrations on you tube so do have a look there as well, although the expert advice on here is normally excellent.

May 22, 2022
Visit site
Most of the jobs can be found with demonstrations on you tube so do have a look there as well, although the expert advice on here is normally excellent.
Thank you. I have already been watching some YouTube tutorials. Need to get it cleared out and dry to see what I am working with.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From what you tell us and the picture you have posted the damp appears to be quite extensive, and I pretty sure that most professional repairers would probably refuse to even start it, as the could not guarantee the caravan would be damp free afterwards, becasue of what might be going on elsewhere.

So this has got to be a vocation of love, rather than economic repair!

However you also tell us you have had boat building experience. I am certain that will help. As you have already seen, caravan construction bears very little comparison to most boats. As you tell us the caravan is not going to be towed, then there is no reason why you couldn't uses more boat construction techniques rather than typical caravan methods.

A few years ago I recall seeing a newspaper report about a boat builder who did build his own caravan using boat techniques, A lovely caravan, but it was massively heavey.

I hope you succeed and are able to enjoy the fruits of your work,

Good luck.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The type you want is a low modulus sealer as here

You could also use Sikaflex 512 but I have found that Soudall is much easier to work with and tools well to give a neater finish.

May 22, 2022
Visit site
From what you tell us and the picture you have posted the damp appears to be quite extensive, and I pretty sure that most professional repairers would probably refuse to even start it, as the could not guarantee the caravan would be damp free afterwards, becasue of what might be going on elsewhere.

So this has got to be a vocation of love, rather than economic repair!

However you also tell us you have had boat building experience. I am certain that will help. As you have already seen, caravan construction bears very little comparison to most boats. As you tell us the caravan is not going to be towed, then there is no reason why you couldn't uses more boat construction techniques rather than typical caravan methods.

A few years ago I recall seeing a newspaper report about a boat builder who did build his own caravan using boat techniques, A lovely caravan, but it was massively heavey.

I hope you succeed and are able to enjoy the fruits of your work,

Good luck.
Hi John, thanks for the comment.

Yes, I plan to strip back as far as I can with the damp. There is a bit of damp in the main living area but it is not extensive. I am also lucky that my brother still is a boat builder, so can get most of the wood and polystyrene for free.

A lot of the boats I built were race boats, so all very lightweight. Although I do not plan to use carbon fibre on this build.

As the main cost for any repair for me would be labour, I am lucky that I plan to do most of it myself.

Let's see if the rabbit hole I go down uncovers some more nasty surprises that means it is beyond repair.

Reactions: Mel and Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A chap on my Senator Forum rebuilt the entire front end of his California. The materials are not expensive. Basic timbers glues etc. As you have realised making it fully watertight long term is the first job. It is a big project but for a diy over time the rewards are excellent. Good luck but not a quick fix .

May 22, 2022
Visit site
A chap on my Senator Forum rebuilt the entire front end of his California. The materials are not expensive. Basic timbers glues etc. As you have realised making it fully watertight long term is the first job. It is a big project but for a diy over time the rewards are excellent. Good luck but not a quick fix .
Thanks For this. I have followed the damp and it seems to run the whole length of both sides. I fear this is going to be a very long job, although I have time on my hands.

As you said Stripping it back, finding where the leaks are and making it water tight will be one of the first jobs.

I also need to work out how to take the cabinets off the wall without damaging them.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The caravans structural integrity will depend on the interior as it is likely that the main interior was fixed to the floor prior to the walls and roof being attached. If there is major damp throughout that is as bad as your first photo and affecting walls and floor is it even going to be possible to rebuild as opposed to repairing small areas of ingress?

May 22, 2022
Visit site
The caravans structural integrity will depend on the interior as it is likely that the main interior was fixed to the floor prior to the walls and roof being attached. If there is major damp throughout that is as bad as your first photo and affecting walls and floor is it even going to be possible to rebuild as opposed to repairing small areas of ingress?
Thanks Rob. The damp does not appear to be anywhere as near as bad as the first photo. The wood is not rotten, just damp under the wallpaper. It runs all along the top of the caravan, so guessing I need to remove the awning rail and seals and replace them first. I may even get away with just cutting the top part of the walls out under the cabinets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It should go without saying but just in case, all wood that even has the slightest suggestion it may be going mouldy needs to be removed and replaced with treated timber. It also makes sense to treat any original wood that remains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts