Very Excited

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

We take delivery in a month - The towcar is ready to pull and I'm making space on the drive for the van's new home.

So I have simple question.

When we go to collect, as newbies, what should we be looking for and checking over (apart from EVERYTHING)

It's a brand new 2019 van and it's having a couple of things fitted prior to collection (external gas, electricity, ATC and a motor mover) So what should I be looking out for on the day?

Tell me everything because I intend to make a list!!!!!

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new caravan. What make and model is it?

May I suggest that you video the handover demonstration that your dealer will give you when you collect your van for future reference!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Hi all,

We take delivery in a month - The towcar is ready to pull and I'm making space on the drive for the van's new home.

So I have simple question.

When we go to collect, as newbies, what should we be looking for and checking over (apart from EVERYTHING)

It's a brand new 2019 van and it's having a couple of things fitted prior to collection (external gas, electricity, ATC and a motor mover) So what should I be looking out for on the day?

Tell me everything because I intend to make a list!!!!!

Listen carefully to the salesman descriptions of how to operate systems etc. Video it. But literally check everything slowly and in detail. If salesman is not there that can be a help. Any concerns raise at the time. Make sure your unloaded noseweight is within the car and caravan specification. Check tyre pressures including cars too.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Take a step back.
Make a list of every extra item either promised for foc or at an agreed price,
Take the mover for example. Does the controller work on all buttons? Are the manufacturers full instructions including installation included in your customer pack.
Be sure to see the hard copy of the Dealer’s PDI. Go through it with them item by item including the damp test. Yes. All new caravans should be tested thoroughly for damp?
The Customer pack should include all booklets ,instructions, relevant to every piece of equipment installed. Plus the manufacturers own handbook.
Lift all seats and beds and inspect the floor beneath for signs of damage, poor drilled holes, loose screws or shoddy wiring and plumbing.
Then make them give you a thorough working demonstration of every piece of kit on board from fridge to oven to cooker toilet etc. All dealers have power and water and gas so no excuses. Check the awning rail is in good order, not dented nor blocked with too much sealant. Take plenty of photos of the exterior just in case you have missed a ding or blemish.
If all this takes two hours then you have had a good hand over.
Best of luck and enjoy

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Good one Dusty ,
You'll be that excited you'll forget like everything that we have told you to check for , look for and ask to be demonstrated , i know i was !!

But plenty off help on hand here if your stuck , and a few off us with the same van (me with the same layout) and I can't imagine the interior controls being that much different .

Good luck , not long .

Craig .

Sep 2, 2018
Visit site
Gosh a brand new van and fitting extras..... Going to keep in with these people.... Must be rich!

Having just had a hand over, I would agree...., record or video the info...... Brains can only cope with so much...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the advice given. Check everything and examine the caravan in detail. Look for scratches on the windows, as if you miss any then the dealer can say they were not there when you picked it up. Look at all the edging on furniture and doors as we found two areas where this was wrong on ours. Although it is not serious if you find it if you need to take it back to be fixed that can be a nuisance.
Make sure everything is videod at the demonstration if you can so you can look back if you get stuck, although on site you will find most people will help. The workshop foreman did the last one for us, this is far better than a salesman, as he was able to rectify a couple of things on the spot.
You need other things like water containers, battery and so on. See if the dealer does a starter pack or will give a discount on theses things.
If you are worried about any aspects of using the caravan particularly hitching and siting, there are several good clips on you tube if you check it out.
Make sure you have a good insurance policy before you set off.
Hope you enjoy.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
A little point about insurance. To most people add caravan insurance to their existing policy or should this be a completely separate policy for a caravan alone and does a car policy need modifying to encompass towing a caravan?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
What you need to do is just tell them that you have a towbar for towing a caravan , you take separate insurance policy out for the caravan , you don't have to but it's advisable given its a lot off money ! Some people go with the 2 major clubs being caravan and motorhome club , and caravan and camping club , others go with different insurance companies .

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/55777-camping-caravan-club-insurance#445432

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
A little point about insurance. To most people add caravan insurance to their existing policy or should this be a completely separate policy for a caravan alone and does a car policy need modifying to encompass towing a caravan?

Insurance for your caravan, it’s equipment and contents is separate from the car as the van spends most of its time off of the car. You need to notify your car insurer when a tow bar is fitted as this is a modification to the car. The cars insurance normally covers you for towing a trailer within the weight limit specified by the car maker. Third party liability. But the car insurance doesn’t cover damage to the caravan for example if you hit a lamp post while reversing or hit a Devon wall on a narrow road. Your caravan insurance covers that.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
For what you are getting is the same as ours (obviously a year newer) , we were quoted about £45o.oo I think from the clubs but managed to get it down to £225.oo old for new policy and it also depends where you are going to store it to ; on your drive ? at home ? or in a secure storage facility .....

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
....But the car insurance doesn’t cover damage to the caravan for example if you hit a lamp post while reversing or hit a Devon wall on a narrow road. Your caravan insurance covers that.....

I take it you found this out ! :(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:
....But the car insurance doesn’t cover damage to the caravan for example if you hit a lamp post while reversing or hit a Devon wall on a narrow road. Your caravan insurance covers that.....

I knew it from reading the policy documents. :S I've never had to make a claim arising from towing. B)

But another point about your first previous posting, I do wonder which insurer you use, because I've never seen a policy offer "old for new" :oops:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:

No Craig so far in all my years of towing the caravan hasn’t suffered any damage whilst being towed. Although there was one close call where the front mounted Reich Move Control smacked a kerbstone whilst coming out of an Aire. The kerbstone was dislodged upwards. Thanks to good German engineering the Reichs clearance moved less than an eighth of an inch, so I reset it when we arrived back in UK. Life lesson? Always leave enough manoeuvre room to exit an Aire or park up with the HGVs.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:

No Craig so far in all my years of towing the caravan hasn’t suffered any damage whilst being towed. Although there was one close call where the front mounted Reich Move Control smacked a kerbstone whilst coming out of an Aire. The kerbstone was dislodged upwards. Thanks to good German engineering the Reichs clearance moved less than an eighth of an inch, so I reset it when we arrived back in UK. Life lesson? Always leave enough manoeuvre room to exit an Aire or park up with the HGVs.

Oh ! It's good advice to people who only drive cars and the caravan now and again but us HGV drivers and bus drivers like myself , everyday I go wide on corners and round vehicles even when I haven't got the caravan on the back of the car my wife tells me I still think that I'm driving the bus going too wide :blush: but better safe than sorry ! I've never clipped or hit anything yet either !!

May 29, 2018
Visit site
More questions.

Towball. As it’s a new car, the garage factory fitted a towball and it’s lovely and shiny with nice black paint.

Does it need any treatment before hitching up for the first time? I wouldn’t have thought paint was the best thing to have it coated in.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
More questions.

Towball. As it’s a new car, the garage factory fitted a towball and it’s lovely and shiny with nice black paint.

Does it need any treatment before hitching up for the first time? I wouldn’t have thought paint was the best thing to have it coated in.

Yes take some fine emery cloth or your kitchen washing up scouring pad and thoroughly clean off the shiny paint over the whole of the surface of the ball. Keep the ball grease and dirt free by using brake dust cleaner, or meths, or electrical contact cleaner.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Presuming your caravan is fitted with an ALKO friction hitch (Stabiliser) then the tow ball MUST be cleaned of all paint and grease. Use sand paper to remove paint, and a brake cleaner solution to remove grease and oil.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes take some fine emery cloth or your kitchen washing up scouring pad and thoroughly clean off the shiny paint over the whole of the surface of the ball. Keep the ball grease and dirt free by using brake dust cleaner, or meths, or electrical contact cleaner.[/quote]

I use wet & dry paper soaked with brake cleaner, comes up a treat.
On my last trip I had no brake cleaner so I used contact cleaner, maybe something contaminated the tow ball, but it groaned all the way to North Wales, Like a ship in full sail.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
Yes take some fine emery cloth or your kitchen washing up scouring pad and thoroughly clean off the shiny paint over the whole of the surface of the ball. Keep the ball grease and dirt free by using brake dust cleaner, or meths, or electrical contact cleaner.

I use wet & dry paper soaked with brake cleaner, comes up a treat.
On my last trip I had no brake cleaner so I used contact cleaner, maybe something contaminated the tow ball, but it groaned all the way to North Wales, Like a ship in full sail.[/quote]

Brake cleaners come in two types. Chlorinated ( non flammable) and non Chlorinated (flammable) both contain extremely powerful chemicals such a trick...., heptane or acetone. Whereas electrical contact cleaner is isopropyl alcohol which isn’t so powerful. So using the latter requires at least a couple of sprays with a good wipe down in between.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts