Very impressed

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all
We got round to closing down and winterising our caravan this weekend :( as we are fairly new to caravanning we have been getting a lot of tips off forums like this to make sure we are doing everything we can to keep our van in tip top condition ready for spring. For example cleaning inside and out ,removing all cushions and bedding etc opening all cupboards for ventilation removing battery and the list goes on. One of the main concerns was making sure we drained all water out of the system. On our last journey we drained our system and left open waste water outlets and the outlet for the water heater for the trip home. I then read about the Floe system for draining your caravan completely were you put pressure into your van to get out the last drops of water. Although I was a little sceptical about its claim of getting so much water out of your vans pipes, I went out and bought one, thinking if there is any water left in the system and we get a hard frost there would be a chance of frozen pipes and the problems that could cause. Well I have to say I am very impressed with this piece of kit, very simple to use and for a 20 minute job the results are brilliant. We thought we had completely drained the system however after using Floe we got out nearly a pint and half of water through our taps and shower and water that had black bits in it therefore old water that had been lying in the pipes. Sometimes you read about all these accessories and tools for caravanning, some you definitely don't need, some come in handy and some are worth investing the money in. I would recommend anyone to try Floe and you will be amazed with the results

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Fellwalker.
I had one of these flow gadgets bought for me as a present shortly after they came out.
Like you I always leave taps and drains open when travelling back from a trip with the van.
I've always done this anyway, at least since having modern vans, also I must add that I've never had any issues over the years with freezing up problems. So I'm not sure if the Flow device is absolutely essential however like you I am always suprised at the amount of water still retained in the system after a trip away.
Like you say the device is simple to use. I couple it with my Ring Tyre inflator So for peace of mind I'm very pleased with the one I have and do think it is worthwhile for the effort it takes. Clearing even a pint or so of water from the system that would otherwise stagnate in the pipes for a few months over the worst of winter has got to be worthwhile. Although I tend to use mine after each trip.
Is it just another gadget to part us from our cash? Well I suppose the Jury is out but I'm happy when I see how much residual water I remove so for me it's worthwhile.
Regards to all Brian

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I think I agree: I remove over a pint of water when I use my home made pressurising device. I had never bothered before but now would rather the water be removed than left to stagnate...apart from any risk of freezing. Don't know that I would have bothered if I were paying £40 ish for it though.
Regards
Derek

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Why would the stagnation be an issue - don't you cleanse the system with Puriclean or similar at the start of each season ?

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes system gets puriclean flushed through it at the start of every season but the main thing for me is getting every bit of water out of the system in case we have a severe frost over winter. Even after fully draining down the van on our last trip there was still over a pint and a half of water lurking in places. From past experience of my family having a static caravan some years ago and having the system drained down and paying for the service after a particular cold winter when they went back to it in the spring the water heater and pipes to it were damaged because of water being present and freezing,a bill of over £200 to fix better safe than sorry I say

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Over the last 3 decades of caravanning, I've simply ensured that system was drained conventionally and taps left open, mid-temperature position for mixers - no problems and we've had some cold winters in those 3 decades.

I always tow with empty water system, and the movement during the last tow of the year may help to dislodge any remaining water.

I hava also used an electric inflator with a football inflator on the shower hose to achieve the same effect as the expensive gadget, but little water came out.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes your right we do exactly the same all taps left open drain plug on water heater left open for journey home so yes hopefully all water is dislodged on journey home yet still over pint of water left in system when we used the floe device . Listen I'm not trying to get people to go out and buy this accessory it's just these forums have been very helpful to us and giving some feed back on an accessory might just help someone else who is considering buying one

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
RogerL said:
Over the last 3 decades of caravanning, I've simply ensured that system was drained conventionally and taps left open, mid-temperature position for mixers - no problems and we've had some cold winters in those 3 decades.

I always tow with empty water system, and the movement during the last tow of the year may help to dislodge any remaining water.

I hava also used an electric inflator with a football inflator on the shower hose to achieve the same effect as the expensive gadget, but little water came out.
Like you Roger I always tow with all drains and taps open and have done for perhaps the same period as yourself. Had I not been given one of these flow devices then I don't believe I would have bought one. Although like Derek I may have put my mind to making my own.
But like I said in my post I always manage to still remove some water after arrival whatever the distance I've travelled. So with that In mind I do think they are worthwhile.
With regards to water system sanitazing / cleaning I'm sure very few people won't be doing this at least before a new season starts, or like myself perhaps a couple of times throughout the year if the van is used in the winter months.

If the weather is particularly poor in the winter I'm reluctant but given a good forecast I'm unable to resist the temptation to be away.
Best wishes Brian

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I heard on the radio that we're in for a mild (albeit wet and windy) winter, so I shan't be rushing out to buy myself one of these floe kits! I don't have a shower in my little caravan (or a water heater) anyway, so shouldn't be a problem even if there's a frost, as long as I've left my taps open. Or so I was told by the chap who serviced my Gobur recently.

Talking of pipes, and cleansing, does everyone put Milton in their Aquaroll every now and then? I'd be interested to hear Forumites' responses on this issue. Or, Mods, should it have been on a separate thread?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Are you relying on the new Met Office computer to give accurate forecasts?

I use Puriclean, which like Milton is chlorine-based - put it in the water containers, let it stand, then pump it into the caravan system AFTER removing the filter element and let it stand there - then drain down, flush with clean water, drain again and fit new filter element - it's a full day's job but I can do plenty of things in between.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........when you have drained all the systems and tanks of water do not forget to give the toilet flush pump a brief run to run it dry.
Water left in these pumps can freeze during severe frosts leading to a replacement being needed!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
.........when you have drained all the systems and tanks of water do not forget to give the toilet flush pump a brief run to run it dry.
Water left in these pumps can freeze during severe frosts leading to a replacement being needed!
Some toilets can have the pipework disconnected and drain a little more out.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I flush the system through with a Milton solution at the end of every season, then drain down but DON'T rinse. Then at the start of the new season flush with a Milton solution again and flush with clean water.

Any containers that will be used for fresh water get the same treatment, flush with Milton, drain and leave without rinsing, then flush with Milton and rinse before first use.

One of my water carriers is only used once a year (when we stay on the site with the very remote tap) so that gets done again just before it will be used. I'm probably going OTT but Milton is cheaper than replacing a barrel because it's gone manky..

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We go way at least once a month and use milton in the aquaroll about every second trip. Be careful using milton in the caravan itself without flushing it out as milton and metal do not mix. I believe there is a warning in the milton instructions about using with metal .
We use a separate container for drinking water and this gets the milton treatment before every journey.
I leave the taps and drain plug open when coming home to try to drain all the water but even this did not work two years ago as one tap still cracked during the winter. It was a plastic tap not a metal one. Not sure if this would have happened with a metal tap.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't worry about Milton, it has less chlorine in it than Puriclean which is recommended by many caravan equipment manufacturers.

It is important though to flush the system with plain water afterwards, for taste as much as preventing metal interaction.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Forty-seven years caravanning, and aside from fitting a Hoselock connector at the lowest point to drain down, I have never done any of the things you guys get up to!
Hell, I even use site drinking water for drinking!
TE,HO, as always.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I always used to miltonise the aquaroll at the start of every season, but since I've been an all-year-round caravanner I haven't bothered to be honest; I'm not sure the aquaroll is static for long enough for its in'ards to become manky. Like emmerson, I like to live dangerously! Are we too cautious about drinking water in this country? Although our water gets recycled umpty times, I'm sure it's a lot cleaner than in some countries, the populations of which have to share the local river with all the various wildlife, with their propensity for using the river as a loo.....

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
RogerL said:
Are you relying on the new Met Office computer to give accurate forecasts?

Roger, the report about the wet winter was something I heard on the radio (BBC Radio 4) so I'm not sure whether the Beeb bases their weather forecasts on the Met Office's new computer? Does your question suggest a vote of no confidence? I must say the £97 million spent doesn't seem to have done much to improve the forecasts, and on the whole, in the short term I find a tap on the barometer more helpful than the weather forecast!

Having said that, it seems likely we'll suffer more wet weather. Whilst global temperatures are rising, that warmth will attract more moisture in the atmosphere, so it is bound to affect our weather adversely. Can't escape physics.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
AFAIK the Met Office is the source of all weather forecast data in the UK except the military who have their own - but each media channel, BBC, ITV, etc makes their own interpretation of that data.

The problem with weather forecasting accuracy is the where and when - but of course it's the where and when that's fundamental to individuals.

Weather systems always occur as predicted, the Met Office is that good - but if it happens 6 hours later and 100 miles away it can often mean that the weather forecast for a particular place/time was rubbish!

There are two sayings about the weather that I like, and use - if you want to know the weather, look out of the window - and in Scotland, if you don't like the weather just wait awhile, it'll change rapidly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Four years ago we lost the water pump in our Senator. (£180 replacement) Pretty severe winter but I had drained down as usual. Fitter said pump can still freeze as water is always retained unless you dismantled the pump and removed from the van for the winter. Since then I have always packed roof space insulation around the pump and no further problems.
With van freezing if water drained down damage is unlikely in the plastic pipes. Dangers are more likely in pumps water heaters etc where the expansion of ice within these cannot be contained without bursting the unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts