Visiting the Dordogne area

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
We are hoping to visit the Upper Dordogne/Limousin area in June. We have not made any decisions as yet as to where exactly and would appreciate some help. We would prefer somewhere not to touristy. We like relatively easy walking and cycling. We enjoy people watching over a glass of wine or coffee and trying out our limited French on the locals. We need a caravan site which would enable us to do this, possibly near to a small town? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I would suggest Domaine de la Barbanne (Sites & Paysages Chain site) at St Emillion. Very nice site surrounded by vineyards. Next door to St Emillion with numerous cafe's - within walking / cycling distance. Also not far from Bordeaux if you feel like looking around. You will also find this site in the Caravan Club - Travel Service in Europe book.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Camping Les Ormes, near Villereal might be too far down for you, but it's quiet and peaceful and until the end of June it's only a quarter full. Swimming pool, small bar and near all the bastide towns. A very relaxing place at this time of year and there is an over 50s offer of just 13 euros a night including electricity until the end of June. Lovely Dutch owners who will welcome you, we have been calling here for the past twenty years at some point of our holiday. If you like peace then you will like it. The small town of Villereal is just three miles away with markets twice a week. A really typical old French town.

We are currently full timing in our van (in a french ski resort at the moment) and have spent quite a lot of time in the Dordogne in the summer. You will not get a lot of French speaking practise as there are a huge number of english people living and working in the area. However it is very beautiful part of France with a lot to see and do. My favourite part of the area is around the town of Brantome. It is in the northern Dordogne and is not as touristy as the southern Dordogne where most of the well known villages are, but it is within easy driving of those towns. There are many campsites to stay at and a couple that I can recommend are L'Etang Bleu near the town of Vieux Mareuil (large site with bar, pool etc) and La Charrou near the same town (smaller cheaper site). Both sites are a short drive from Brantome, Angouleme & Perigueux and there are many things too see and do in the immediate and surrounding areas. I hope this information is useful.

Regards

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
Once again thankyou for your replies. We are considering our options and whilst we are able to look at brochures etc there is nothing beter than recommendation. Our present state of play is that we have booked a ferry and so from there on time is our own.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Camping Les Ormes, near Villereal might be too far down for you, but it's quiet and peaceful and until the end of June it's only a quarter full. Swimming pool, small bar and near all the bastide towns. A very relaxing place at this time of year and there is an over 50s offer of just 13 euros a night including electricity until the end of June. Lovely Dutch owners who will welcome you, we have been calling here for the past twenty years at some point of our holiday. If you like peace then you will like it. The small town of Villereal is just three miles away with markets twice a week. A really typical old French town.
I love this site as well.

Good small village and country restuarant over the nearby bridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts