Vivaro

Dan

Jul 30, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys looking at changing my car to a 1.6 vivaro does anyone tow with one and can advise just seem a bit sceptical as seem abit sluggish prepared to my 2.0 Zafira just want to change for extra space

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Vivaro is based on a commercial vehicle, and its likely to heavier than the Zafira and have a different set of gear ratio's. The engines are often detuned compared the domestic cars, so it does not surprise me to see you find the perfomance less sparkling.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Most commercial vehicles are useful for towing, but that engine looks a bit underpowered. You do not say what you are towing but I would assume it would manage something lightweight.

Dan

Jul 30, 2022
Visit site
Thank you everyone I will be towing a Bailey caravan 1430 kg everyone has shown what I thought may be to under powered

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you everyone I will be towing a Bailey caravan 1430 kg everyone has shown what I thought may be to under powered
I'm sorry but I didn't suggest the Vivaro is under powered, only that it may not have the performance you have experienced from your Zafira. If the vivaro is rated to tow the caravans MTPLM it will tow it, and because of the van like proportions it might actually be quite a well behaved outfit. It just won't have the same acceleration performance. But in reality do you actually need such speedy acceleration? Provided you can keep up with normal town traffic that's good enough.

For many years I have towed with Renault Grande Espace that only had 2.2 turbo diesel with115 Bhp. On paper it may not meet the recommended 40bhp per tonne, but it was perfectly capable of towing 1700kg and keeping up with traffic up to the legal speed limits for towing.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I had an R reg Cavalier estate company car with the 81bhp 1.7 low pressure TD engine. It towed our Bailey Pageant Majestic S5 with MTPLM of 1327Kg all over without problem.
I was seriously worried about the hill on the (now) D1004 north of Saverne coming out of Alsace which has 9 180deg bends. Whistled up it like a dream.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys looking at changing my car to a 1.6 vivaro does anyone tow with one and can advise just seem a bit sceptical as seem abit sluggish prepared to my 2.0 Zafira just want to change for extra space
I have a Vivaro, new shape, 180ps Auto, it’s superb, albeit a little on the large size. Have you thought about getting it mapped, might help with torque and performance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Vivaro, new shape, 180ps Auto, it’s superb, albeit a little on the large size. Have you thought about getting it mapped, might help with torque and performance
This is a fairly old thread which having been unanswered for so long, probably means the OP has resolved their difficulty.

Just a note about remapping etc. It counts as a modification and you must inform your insurer, as it affects the risk they are covering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts