Volkswagen Passat Estate [auto]

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Thinking of changing the car, love the Xtrail we got at the moment, but getting fed up with the black smoke problem while towing, been putting in fuel cleaner time to time, ask the fitter not to over fill the sump stick, change oil every 6 months+ fuel+air filter,

Just wonder if any of you got a Passat Estate auto as we like the look of it, do your blow out black smoke while towing towing the Passat, any info would be helpfull Thanks Trevor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have had Passat's for donkeys years and have never had any problems with black smoke. In fact never had any problems at all, whether petrol or diesel they seem to do the job. I have just recently changed from a 2 litre 140 bhp TDI to a 1.8 160 bhp TSI Passat CC. I have a 2008 Bailey Senator Indiana, and to coin a phrase "You hardly know its on the back".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Trevor, Many thanks for your reply, Just wonder what you get to the gallon towing/solo, and what is the noseweight of your car, Thanks, Trevor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello, with the diesel around 35 to the gallon, with the petrol around 27 - 28. The nose weight is 75kgs and I have no problem with 2 Calor Lights in the front plus all the usual bits and pieces. I am very biased towards VW I have been a caravanner for 30 odd years and touch wood, no problems and throughout that time I have always had them to tow with.

Hope this helps.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I have just bought a brand new passat estate 170bhp. I have been getting 60mpg solo and about 35mpg towing. A great tow car, i would of liked the auto but was advised against it for towing! Also head the auto box only lasts for 60k miles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts